Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Things you don't see any more.

(111 Posts)
NanKate Wed 03-Dec-14 07:30:10

Do you remember when genteel ladies drank their tea they use to cock their little finger ?

Falconbird Thu 05-Mar-15 18:52:12

How times have changed and in a relatively short time really. I had an automatic washing machine in 1974 but it was very temperamental and broke down regularly.

Nappies were always soaking in a huge bucket of nappisan and shopping done daily and all meals cooked more or less from scratch. Nurseries were unheard of in my area.

I think that the availability of ready meals, breakfast and after school clubs and particularly disposable nappies have freed mums up to go back to work and I love the new feeding bottles which are designed to stop wind. Oh yes and the dish washer.

I remember the mangle - mum had one and it was exhausting work. To make life even harder for her she had to take the washing down three flights of stairs to the drying area and I well remember her maneuvering completely frozen sheets back up the stairs in the winter.

I think she thought my life was much easier and it was. I even had a very early tumble dryer because my DH was fed up with clothes and nappies drying on clothes airers.

specki4eyes Thu 05-Mar-15 19:52:44

papaoscar do you remember the Bear Hotel in Devizes? The reason I ask is that my cousin Joan and her husband were the managers during the early 60s( I think) I've lost touch with her. I've since been researching my ancestry which has resulted in finding some of our relatives.

specki4eyes Thu 05-Mar-15 19:54:07

Has anyone mentioned Amami Wave Set? It was very effective and had a lovely scent. Also Vitapointe was good for dry hair.

journeyman Sun 20-Sep-15 11:15:43

I remember the cigarette machines outside shops so you could buy them after hours and also the bubblegum machines that I think used to be on the wall outside as well.

journeyman Sun 20-Sep-15 11:22:02

People walking down the street without a mobile in there hand or to their ears! People used to look where they were going, apart from the odd person walking down the street reading a book, something I've been guilty of at times ??

seacliff Fri 09-Oct-15 16:24:34

I got some Vitapoint recently Specki - its good and very reasonablely priced.

I remember big stone horse troughs in London - not sure exactly when they disapeared but would love one for my garden.

LuckyDucky Sun 18-Oct-15 05:52:32

Those days of stockings and suspenders. Mention them today and watch male eyes light up.

Reading your thread Tanith, reminded me of the time I worked in Peter Jones at Christmas. I was wearing seamed stockings on the morning tights arrived. I sacrificed my lunch break buying a pair. The next morning - the joy/relief of warm legs.

Anyone remember funny moments wearing stockings and suspender belts? Or is that a different thread?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 05-Jun-17 15:55:37

Yes, I do! I think it was Cochrane's in Paisley that had them when I was a child. I have no idea what the thing was called, though.

Norma0312 Tue 19-Sep-17 20:24:30

Hi.I am new to Gransnet which seems very interesting. I remember Drene shampoo from the 60's and the lovely 'clean' smell it had and watching my mother make bread. this takes me back 65 yesrs but it seems like yesterday.

Nandalot Tue 19-Sep-17 20:41:13

Yes, Amami, Specki. I remember the smell. It was always on gran's shopping list together with Fox's glacier mints,