Gransnet forums

Health

diagnosis of pre-diabetes

(83 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:12:55

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am fairly recent to gransnet and haven't found anything so far.Briefly, my husband decided, quite wisely to take himself off to GP for an MOT as he has just turned 60. he knew he was overweight, was trying to do something about it. Anyway, all ok with BP, cholesterol etc., but his glucose levels show that he is pre-diabetic. he booked an appointment with the practice diabetes nurse to discuss this and ask what he should do. She was ghastly, patronising, told him unless he lost weight he would probably go blind, lose limbs......now he knew he needed to lose weight, but was asking for help and advice, not a barrage of criticism. Still, her rudeness aside, we have decided, like all things really, to investigate and sort things out ourselves. he has to report back in 8 weeks. I have ordered the Michael Holford book on ways to stop onset of type 2 diabetes by eating low Gl foods. has anyone any experience of this? We would like to stop this disease before it starts, and I could do with shedding a few pounds too.

Deedaa Wed 26-Mar-14 20:47:36

We were way too late with my husband who had galloping type 2 before he got round to going to the doctor, but I seem to remember that Anthony Worrell Thompson did a low GI cook book a few years ago when he had been diagnosed as pre diabetes. One thing my husband found very good for bringing his blood glucose down was exercise. I presume it would also be effective for someone who hasn't developed full blown diabetes.

Silverfish Wed 26-Mar-14 20:52:53

I have pre diabetes but for me it is impossible to diet, I did manage to lose a stone and brought my blood sugar levels down but the diet is sooo monotonous and anyone who tells you its not is lying. You can look up the sugar level on the food labels but with low sugar you will probably find high fat or high sugar. I find that toast with nothing on is ok, fruit and boiled veg. My daughter had pregnancy diabetes and worked hard to keep to the diet but she said it was just a case of eating fruit and veg. This is so depressing as I graze all day, I need just to be eating when I read or watch tv, I get cravings all the time so I just wait until I have full blown diabetes and can take medication. I have asked repeatedly if they can help me but they say no , the nhs just does not care about preventative medicines they say I must just control my diet myself. Today I have eaten half a bag of toffees, had ice cream and nuts as well as scones and sandwitches, none of this is good I know but I cant control it as I get stressed and eat for comfort. There are very few foods that are low fat low sugar low salt which is what we need ot have a healthy diet according to my gp. I too would welcome any advice.

tanith Wed 26-Mar-14 20:55:21

I had this news a year ago and managed to lose a stone in weight which brought my blood sugar down , the nurse is going to check again in a year.

Aka Wed 26-Mar-14 21:03:39

Have you considered the 5:2 diet?

Silverfish Wed 26-Mar-14 21:06:24

I have considered all of them. What I need is a lock on the kitchen door and someone making my meals and not allowing me to eat rubbish but as I live alone this is not going to happen.

janeainsworth Wed 26-Mar-14 21:08:18

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/a1205518-Can-you-keep-to-six-teasps-of-sugar-a-day
Gill your DH basically needs to reduce as much as possible the extrinsic non-milk sugars in his diet.
The above thread might help.

janeainsworth Wed 26-Mar-14 21:09:09

I agree with Deedaa about exercise.

merlotgran Wed 26-Mar-14 21:16:07

DH managed to get himself out of the pre-diabetes bracket by losing a stone in weight and following a low GI diet. Thankfully, our practice nurse was very encouraging and is thrilled with his progress. He does have a sweet tooth though and left to his own devices would probably be tempted. I just don't buy anything he can't have and hide anything I want to use in a recipe that I know he'll sneak out of the cupboard if he gets a chance.

Silverfish. You really need to get help to control your food cravings instead of hoping you'll eventually be put on medication. I wouldn't want to have to inject myself with insulin if I could prevent developing Type 1 diabetes in the first place. Yes, dieting is incredibly boring but it's worth it if it improves your health.

Silverfish Wed 26-Mar-14 21:42:36

What kind of help can I get, I don't like going to the doctor. I have a phobia of anyone in the nhs, hospitals, clinics etc. Would be happy to go online though if anyone can suggest any sites

Silverfish Wed 26-Mar-14 21:45:07

My friend just eats as normal but ups her insulin dose to combat it, shes 62 and has a good life she says she just wants to live for today

JessM Wed 26-Mar-14 22:06:19

Don't buy anything sweet. If you haven't got cake, biscuits, desserts and sweet spreads in the house you are a lot less likely to consume them...
Eat fruit if you want something sweet.

merlotgran Wed 26-Mar-14 22:07:31

Have you thought of a slimming club like Slimming World? They have a huge success rate and a lot of diabetics recommend it for losing weight. You can do it online if you don't want to go to the meetings but I think the mutual support is valuable.

I can understand someone saying they are 'living for today' if they have terminal cancer but your friend is only 62 and people can live with diabetes for many years if they look after their health and diet.

GillT57 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:36:07

Silverfish, from the stuff I have read so far, it is not looking for food that is low fat/low salt/low sugar, they are all fake foods as far as I am concerned and of no nutritional benefit whatsoever. The important thing is to avoid the rebound of a sugar spike from eating processed carbohydrates such as white flour, cupcake white sugar, white rice and foods made with them. I seriously recommend you take medical advise, it is not a good plan to eat yourself into full blown diabetes, that is why we are trying to sort it for my DH now before it gets that far. If the stuff isn't in the house you cant eat it! Have read that exercise is also necessary, and that is in hand, it will do us both good, and the dog to walk a bit more often. I have gleaned quite a lot from going online, why not have a look too? The books are on their way, and I will report on our progress.

Flowerofthewest Wed 26-Mar-14 22:39:52

I was diagnosed just before Christmas 2013. (Pre-diabetes) it has terrified me. I have managed to lose a stone but still have a couple to go. My GP has given me forms for a Glucose Tolerance test for the end of April to see how it is going. You could purchase a diet plate and bowl. These give portion sizes on the plate etc and I have found these very helpful. Who would have thought that just one sausage filled the protein section (My GP was surprised too)

There is also Nutracheck - an online calorie site to assist in losing weight. Exercise is good also. My DH and I try to walk at least 35 minutes a day for 5 days a week. I have a pedometer on my mobile which give me the motivation to aim for my 10,000 steps a day. I don't always manage these but its something to aim for.

I am still scared and your post has given me a kick up the backside as I find I am slipping a little.

GillT57 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:46:47

flowerofthewest, thank you for your post. I have to admit that since DH's diagnosis I have been examining my own health, and I feel that tempering our food a bit and taking more exercise will do us both good. I am happy to share anything that I pick up from the book. The pedometer is a good idea.

durhamjen Wed 26-Mar-14 23:07:50

My husband was diabetic type 1 from the age of 11, and we were married for over 45 years, so I have had a lot of experience with diabetic diets. My mother was type 2.
The low GI diet was developed by Diabetes UK for diabetics, so that's the one to go for. We were also vegetarians, which stabilised his blood sugar.
At the moment there is research going on at Newcastle University about pre-diabetes and a low calorie diet. Details are online .

durhamjen Wed 26-Mar-14 23:10:00

By the way, not many diabetics go blind or lose limbs. Just make sure you do not see that nurse again.

durhamjen Wed 26-Mar-14 23:18:31

Silverfish, no diet is boring. It can be a challenge. All my married life I have had to read labels. If you have to graze, just eat the right foods.
You cannot seriously want to give yourself injections every day and test your blood. If you do become diabetic, it will be far worse than having to look after the foods you eat. In fact I've never heard anything so ridiculous.
When my husband was dying of cancer, I had to give him injections, test his blood and feed him. It was horrible.

Aka Wed 26-Mar-14 23:53:38

see page 12

Interesting facts on blindness and amputation.

durhamjen Thu 27-Mar-14 00:13:11

The good thing is, GillT, that they can test for prediabetes these days, and therefore your husband can try to help himself to not become diabetic. I am hoping that, because all my family have seen what happens to diabetics that they will take care of themselves and make sure they do not end up on insulin.

DebnCreme Thu 27-Mar-14 00:29:37

Silverfish it must seem so much easier to graze through the day than to 'breakfast like a King, lunch like a Queen and eat tea like a Princess' when living alone. Fortunately My husband needs a cooked meal but still I can graze and graze and graze as evidenced by my waistline (what waistline?)

When my daughter was pregnant she too had pregnancy diabetes so we found a number of diabetic cook books and there were many interesting and varied recipes. It is just a case of building up the energy and enthusiasm.

You can join Weight Watchers Online and they have some good recipes too including one delicious low calorie soup which can help 'the grazies' there are weight watchers ready cooked meals but if you choose these do add plenty of extra vegetables to fill in the gaps.

So really all that remains for me to do is 'practise what I preach' - grin and wish you well in your endeavours.

If I understand the 5:2 diet correctly, which I probably don't, surely the fast days could prove dangerous for anyone suffering from diabetes?

Mamie Thu 27-Mar-14 05:01:19

We are doing this too. My OH has levels on the H1AC test that have been slowly creeping up over the last couple of years. He doesn't have a sweet tooth and has never eaten cakes, biscuits or pudding apart from on special occasions. He has had high BP and cholesterol and has been on medication for those for over ten years. He gets a lot of exercise, but still carries stubborn abdominal fat, that won't shift. He saw the cardiologist this week, who said that he has the heart of an athlete.
So it is all a bit difficult to know what to do.
Our doctor tends to hand out leaflets telling us not to eat things that we don't eat anyway. My OH gives her a spreadsheet of what we eat and she agrees there is nothing to change. We have a large vegetable garden and consequently eat a lot of veg. We don't eat processed food apart from tinned tomatoes.
We have always eaten brown bread (OH makes it), but we have swapped white rice for brown, made (waxy) potatoes a once or twice weekly treat, eat plenty of oats (oatcakes for a mid-morning snack) use pearl barley for risotto and bulgar wheat instead of couscous. We have cut out fruit juice completely. We think we have cut sugar to less than two teaspoons a day (bit of marmalade and dried fruit in muesli).
We found this quite helpful.
www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-replace-highglycemic-grains-with-lowglycemi.html
We have both lost a bit of weight and are waiting to see what happens at the next blood test.
I hope this helps. I agree that the patronising attitudes are infuriating.
If this doesn't work it will be the medication.

Grannyknot Thu 27-Mar-14 07:43:04

Mamie, interesting and helpful! I fear my OH is heading for problems caused by his sweet tooth.

I had to smile at the thought of the doctor's reaction when handed a spreadsheet of what you eat, bet he/she was as impressed as I am.

Silverfish, don't give up and let something over which you have control, defeat you.

Aka Thu 27-Mar-14 07:48:14

Michael Mosley was pre diabetic before he started the 5:2 diet, actually it was being pre diabetic that kick started him into trying fasting. It worked for him.