Gransnet forums

Health

Depression again

(32 Posts)
Mishap Sun 12-Apr-15 10:07:43

Well - here it is again - my old friend back to haunt me. I have done pretty well for several weeks, and then I got bronchitis and I cannot seem to shake it off - it has really brought me down. I have been coughing for about 4 weeks; and the last 2 days I have been low and weepy again, following a migraine on Thursday night.

I do everything I can to fight it - I get up and shower and go for walks in a sort of fog; when what I really want to do is be asleep.

It seems that it is not going to leave me be, and any small thing that reduces my strength gives it the chance to get back in again. Not a good day today.

rubylady Wed 29-Apr-15 01:02:21

Life is so poo sometimes. It seems to come in waves but depression hits out of the blue. When I suffer I go from hour to hour, tape some things that will distract me from the tele or sleep, like you said, Mishap.

I was feeling better and then my mother has appeared on the scene again and so I will have to be very careful not to let her get under my skin or else I will be down again. It's hard as it is with other people I have to deal with at the moment. I can see a time when things will ease but at present it isn't going to happen and I go from day to day, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I am sure your DGC has managed to make you smile today at least so that is something to focus on and the upcoming birth of the baby due. (Not Kate's, your own family smile). Welcome him/her and look forward, an hour at a time. Good luck, stay strong. X

Mishap Wed 29-Apr-15 09:37:33

Thank you ruby and others for your kind words. Down morning today, but I am up and doing stuff that needs doing. I have to run a rehearsal tonight so have to get my act together by then.

The only way is to try and bash on, but how lovely it would be to have a day that does not require 100% determination just to get through.

Bellasnana Wed 29-Apr-15 12:54:21

I really feel for you, Mishap. Depression is a horrible thing to go through. I suffered in silence for years, but thanks to a new doctor spotting that I needed help, I am a different person due to just two little pills per day. Never believed in taking pills but now I dearly wish I'd had them years ago. My family might have had an easier time. blush

There aren't any words to help but I am thinking of you and hoping you will feel better very soon flowers

Mishap Wed 29-Apr-15 14:12:21

Thank you bellasnana. It seems to be a bit of an epidemic.

No word from angie who I hope is doing OK.

ginny Thu 30-Apr-15 08:40:06

Sorry to hear you are feeling down again Mishap Thankfully depression is not something I have suffered from but my Mum did so I have some idea how you feel. One hour, one day at a time. At least now you know there will be better times and hopefully they will soon eclipse the bad.

Mishap Thu 30-Apr-15 09:54:15

Thank you ginny. I managed the rehearsal last night, and I have woken this morning feeling a bit better - so I will hang on to that as a step forward. Up and dressed which is good.

I have had good weeks before and it then descends again - I need to find some way of consolidating the good times. Not sure how to do that.