Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scientists create feel-full food additive.

(10 Posts)
Elegran Thu 11-Dec-14 11:47:47

A natural chemical produced by the gut when it breaks down fibre makes us feel full up. Scientists have succeeded in making a (foul-tasting!) powder which can be added to food to help people to eat less and slow down weight gain.

They had to bind the chemical to a natural carbohydrate found in plants to take it safely through the digestive system without being broken down before it could reach the gut and work.

The next post-Christmas fad diet?

soontobe Thu 11-Dec-14 12:00:09

I cant say that I understood all of the article properly.

If 6 of the 24 volunteers gained 3% or whatever, and only 1 of the 25 left did, what about the other 24?
I am all confused hmm

But mainly I am thinking that I cant see that many people will regularly add foul tasting stuff to their food. If they can make it to taste nice, then some might. But presumably they would have to take it for ever and a day.

Elegran Thu 11-Dec-14 12:15:05

If they were desperate to lose weight and not succeeding, then perhaps they would keep on taking it, but that is no different to any other way of dieting. It is continuing with it that makes the result.

Tegan Thu 11-Dec-14 12:30:26

I can only go by my own experience of dieting over nearly 50 years and that is when I overeat it's nothing to do with feeling hungry it's feeding an emotional need of some kind.Even if that need is [and this is often the case] eating something I shouldn't which then makes me feel more miserable than I was before I ate it [and know that's what will happen]. As if I'm punishing myself in some way confused. Being overweight is usually a result of eating when you don't feel hungry. I think.

goldengirl Thu 11-Dec-14 16:42:04

A glass of water can help to make you feel full before a meal. I don't fancy taking additives there's enough in food already

Ariadne Thu 11-Dec-14 17:23:28

Makes me shudder! Wonder what the side effects are?

Eloethan Thu 11-Dec-14 17:31:20

I think a lot of people, including myself, are sometimes (or always) not recognising when they are "full". Also food is often eaten at specific times rather than when a person is hungry.

Anxiety or unhappiness can put some people off their food, whilst for others food can be a comfort. I sometimes wonder if a combination of relaxation methods/meditation/exercise might help people to get more "in touch" with their bodies and therefore to eat less.

I'm not very keen on the idea of people taking a powder (even if it is naturally occurring in the body) to assist with weight loss although I can understand why some sort of intervention might be necessary as a last resort.

soontobe Thu 11-Dec-14 17:57:01

My "full" feeling comes about 15 minutes after I have finished eating. I am not sure if that is normal or not.
I am not overweight, but I have to be careful, knowing that my "full" feeling is probably happening a bit late.

I have a bigger problem with not knowing when I am cold. By the time I feel cold, I am very cold indeed.

I have no idea whether the two things are connected or not.

Elegran Thu 11-Dec-14 18:02:38

I believe that it takes 15 to 20 minutes for the signals to get from the gut and register in the brain, so you shouldn't keep on eating until you feel you can't take any more. Stop while it seems there is still room for a little more, and you will get it about right. If you wait for the full-up feeling you will probably overdo it.

Ana Thu 11-Dec-14 18:08:25

I agree, Elegran. And if you keep overdoing it at every meal your stomach will stretch so that you need yet more food to make you feel 'full' and will probably become overweight.