Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Bl***y CSA!

(65 Posts)
rubylady Wed 20-May-15 12:37:21

I have been dealing for ages now with a very nice young man at the CSA and payments have been going as smooth as you can expect with a government run agency. But the young man is very lovely. On the Christmas card list and everything. Anyway, he is off sick.

I phoned last Thursday as payments since the Bank Holiday have been upside down (shall we say) and was told that since my case is a sensitive case, it has to be authorised manually and would be done as soon as the person I was speaking to had hung up. Good. Payment in my account then in time for my son's 18th tomorrow. I also got a confirmation phone call to say that it had been done. Excellent! Whoopee!!!

Monday, no payment. Tuesday, no payment. Today, no payment. I even waited up until gone 2 am to check if it cleared after the 2 am bank clearing. No, nothing. Now I am in schtuck over his birthday tomorrow.

Presents bought, thankfully, but no banners, balloons or cake! How can a 18 year old have no cake?

I have just phoned the CSA again and they told me, because they had a new computer system put in a week ago that my payment has gone to another department and they need to get it back in order to authorise it and it may be done today. AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! Why did I give up smoking???

Why then, did they phone me to say that the payment had been done last week if it had not? They drive me nuts and if I could work, I could run rings round them and their incompetent outfit.

Now I will go and make a brew and count to ten. If it wasn't his birthday, then fine, I would manage but it is too late now to go and try to beg, borrow or steal to make it happen. It is infuriating and disappointing.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-May-15 19:27:11

I can see a world of difference between Atqui's daughter's disappointment, and the behaviour of this poster's son, as reported to us on many occasions by the poster herself.

roastchickento mean whatever you want it to mean hmm

Ana Sat 23-May-15 19:32:38

TBH Elegran, I'm rather surprised that you made the assumption you did - I'd never have had you down as one who posts without having read the whole thread (or at least, the part relevant to your own response).

soontobe Sat 23-May-15 19:36:17

Therapy helps most people in my opinion. If not all, so long as a therapist is found that suits the person.
I dont think that jingl agrees with this.
I think that she may be soft hearted actually, but equally I wince when she tells posters to effectively get over it.
In my opinion, life rarely works like that. So I dont like to see that sort of advice, because I do think that that is the wrong advice in most cases.
And would say that is is most definitely the wrong advice for rubylady's son.
roastchicken to jingl smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-May-15 19:38:35

Will you please stop your bloody preaching, or at least do not direct it towards me!

Your posts sound ridiculous.

Ana Sat 23-May-15 19:42:27

Another one who hasn't read the thread! hmm

soontobe Sat 23-May-15 20:03:56

I am talking about jingl's fri 14.14pm post, about ruby's 00.53am post? Perhaps there are miscommunications here?

Elegran Sat 23-May-15 20:09:42

ana I came back to the forum in the few minutes between turning on the oven and putting my dinner into it - I speed-read the posts around the "therapy" bit and thought it was jings I must have been hungry (still am, dinner not ready yet)

roastchicken (To be honest, it's beefburger and oven chips, not chicken, but we don't have an emoticon for that)

rubylady Sun 24-May-15 00:02:25

Soutra I used the writing icing set to write Happy Birthday on the top of a luxury already-made cheesecake. It all melted into a huge mess but the cheesecake was very yummy and we had a laugh about it.

To everyone else - thank you for your comments. I have made some good friends who now PM me so thanks again and if I need any more help in the near future, I know who to turn to. Although I will, obviously, still start a thread if I need to, just like anyone else. Please don't all fall out on my behalf. My son will be grown and flown the nest and we will all be left not speaking and that isn't what this website is about.

rubylady Sun 24-May-15 00:09:39

p.s. My son is starting to talk about dealing with it all now, maybe even going seeing his father for answers so that is good. I can't answer the questions he has, I didn't walk away. Like has been said, I can't buffer him for all his life but just because he has only just turned 18, doesn't mean the end of support and love. When I look back to me being 18 years old, I was still very young and needed advice and support still even though I was finding my feet very fast. He has also been told to find some work for the holidays or voluntary. Oh, and the CSA money came through. Yeah! (Original post)

petra Wed 27-May-15 08:34:10

I'm much the same as in the 'carpet' thing and growing up. I can't bear my family to go without (reasonably) anything. But when it comes to 'get over it' I am very tough. And I come from a place where I had to 'get over it'

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 15:28:49

It's good to hear your DS is starting to think about how to deal with it all. It sounds as if things are starting to improve rubylady

Glad to hear CSA money arrived too!

Your bit about the icing on the cheesecake reminds me of my first attempt at icing a birthday cake grin
I happily sloshed too much water into the icing sugar, followed by adding too much sugar, and so on. Eventually had runny icing in the nozzle bag, squeezed it too firmly and ended up obliterating the bit I'd done in a lake of blue goo.

That was the last time I made and iced a birthday cake!

You're doing a great job, flowers for you x

rubylady Fri 29-May-15 00:09:00

Thank you very much loopylou, I appreciate the flowers.

It's nice to know that others make a mess of things too with birthday cakes but they still go down well with the recipient. smile

Grandma2213 Fri 29-May-15 00:51:37

rubylady I really sympathise as my 3 sons have not seen their father in over 20 years. They are now in their 30s. I kept most of my feelings away from them when they were younger but due to something he did to me about 9 years ago which they knew about, they now hate him and would not meet him even if he begged. I feel sad about that but they are adults now and must make their own decisions. By the way they still come to me together on their birthdays, now with their own children too! I always make and ice a 'relevant' cake and have balloons and banners! As you say 'support and love' never end! Good luck to you and your DS and DD. x

rubylady Mon 01-Jun-15 22:57:51

Thank you Grandma2213 flowers for you. smile