Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

September meet up in Nottingham

(67 Posts)
Teetime Wed 31-Aug-16 09:02:36

Hallo all
some of us from the East Midlands are having a met up lunch in Nottingham on 20th September - all welcome to join us but please let me have the numbers so I can book a table.

Greyduster Sun 18-Sep-16 14:47:45

Still okay for me.

Tegan Sun 18-Sep-16 15:26:44

I've just got to a]remember to come and b]work out how I'm going to get to Nottingham [which isn't a problem; it's just that my decision making isn't very good these days if I have anything that involves choice of any kind]...

kittylester Sun 18-Sep-16 15:49:21

I am hoping to be there but will have to leave early as my school pick up day has changed to Tuesday this week. That's assuming my gastric flu after effects have gone. I went to Sainsbury's with DH this morning and needed a lie down when we got back......although that could just have been having DH there 'helping'! grin

Nandalot Sun 18-Sep-16 16:17:05

Still okay for Tues. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Hope appt. goes well for you, Annsixty. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Nandalot Tue 20-Sep-16 19:24:59

It was great to meet you all. Really enjoyed the meet-up. Good choice of venue, calorie counted pannacotta, what's not to like.

annsixty Tue 20-Sep-16 19:50:36

So sorry not to be there and I felt cheated as my appt was very unsatisfactory to me but that's another story. Hope to meet up with you all sometime.

kittylester Tue 20-Sep-16 20:31:10

There will have to be another one Ann as I didn't name it either.sad

Teetime Wed 21-Sep-16 09:45:10

4 of us met up yesterday in Nottingham at Jamie's Italian restaurant and had a jolly nice time chatting away for a couple of hours.

I was thinking perhaps we could try a wider area so we get more people next time perhaps at a National Trust property then we can wander about chatting and not have to have a meal just the tea room or a picnic.

Any thoughts?

kittylester Wed 21-Sep-16 09:52:12

Great idea!

We like Kedleston, Belton, Clumber Park, Sudbury but happy to go wherever, says she who missed the meeting yesterday. There are also places like Wistow and the locks at Foxton!

Tegan Wed 21-Sep-16 14:04:18

The only one that my pathetic driving skills can get to is Calke Abbey blush. They'll all be shutting up shop soon I guess. I did manage to get the wrong bus back [typical] but it ran adjacent to the road I needed to it wasn't too much of a disaster! Didn't get home till really late as I saw my sons honeymoon/wedding photos when he got back from work. I also got slightly lost in Attenborough Nature reserve [killing time till DGD got back from nursery] but, thankfully walked in a big circle and ended up back where I started; I hadn't realised how many little pathways there were. Yes, it was lovely to meet up with everyone.

Teetime Wed 21-Sep-16 14:59:40

Belton has a nice Xmas thingy I think probably Kedleston does too so happy to do that- NT shops have nice Xmas gifts too so can kill two birds with one pot of jam and a tea towel.

Nandalot Wed 21-Sep-16 15:36:27

Did you get your binoculars, Tegan?

J52 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:46:49

I'll meet you at Wistow, Kitty I think I'm addicted to the place. Can't resist the cakes or the plants!

Tegan Wed 21-Sep-16 15:55:17

No sad. Because I got the wrong bus I was late getting to my sons [I even, whilst trying to cut across to the road I should have been on, walked down a crescent instead of a street and, of course, ended up on the same road again, so that lost me 5 more minutes!]. Then, losing my way at the Nature reserve I didn't get to the shop. However, I don't think I would have got there in time anyway. And, after only seeing two 'swanlets' over the past few weeks saw two groups, one with three and one with 5 youngsters, so I enjoyed that. And, on the 'wrong' bus got chatting to an elderly blind man who sat next to me and he was such a delight. He used to go racing when he had his sight, so he told me of all the tracks he'd been to, and we talked about audio books which, of course, he uses a lot. And generally put the world to rights. When a double seat became available behind us his wife dragged him away, but he said to me 'we can still talk' which we did. He was so lovely!Oh, and I walked past some old almshouses near to my sons which I didn't know existed. All in all, a bit of an adventure grin. His holiday pics of Croatia were stunning; what a beautiful place it is. When I got to my ex's it was pitch black and the cats were desperate for their food. And, I walked poorly dog down the road and she looks quite sound again so we may now have her for a lot longer than I'd thought [phew].

starbird Fri 23-Sep-16 18:05:31

Sorry I missed everyone, my diary became full, for example I went to the Regional Council meeting on Monday, at Eastwood, had to get up at 6.30 to leave st 7.30. The traffic on the A14 was horrendous. I worked Tuesday but even if I hadn't not sure I could have faced Nottingham again.
Somewhere reachable by public transport would suit me best, but that's because I am well served by busses etc.
Tegan which town does your son live in? sounds interesting

Tegan Fri 23-Sep-16 23:21:38

He lives near Attenborough Nature reserve. I love it there. I went back yesterday to buy my binoculars and there were two men there with Golden Eagles. I had met one of them before because he does raptor demonstrations that I've been to. I keep meaning to go on the guided walks that they do. I do want to go to Eastwood one day [D H Lawrence fan]. I'm better with public transport really, being a rubbish driver.