Gransnet forums

News & politics

Teachers' strike

(84 Posts)
Dragonfly1 Wed 26-Mar-14 13:37:24

In all the news I've heard and read about today's strike, only one parent out of many has complained that her child's education is suffering. The rest moaned about having to find alternative child care. Says it all, as far as I'm concerned.

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Mar-14 17:18:14

Practically everyone I know in work is having to work longer hours than they are contracted for, usually unpaid, many not having the time to take holiday and loosing it.
Teachers are in the same boat as everyone else. Somewhere along the line things are out of kilter. There are enough people to do the jobs without the need for all these extra hours but there is constant demand to keep costs and taxes down. We all (including those with plenty of dosh) want quality, a good standard of living, cheap food, free medicine, quality teachers for our children, but, for for whatever reason aren't prepared to pay for it.

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Mar-14 17:20:30

(There was a letter today in our local rag asking why, if parents are fined for taking their children out of school, are the striking teachers also going to be fined for non attendance?!)

Lilygran Thu 27-Mar-14 18:19:51

They will lose a day's pay.

Ana Thu 27-Mar-14 19:25:37

No doubt some parents will, too.

J52 Thu 27-Mar-14 19:28:53

I hear solicitors are to strike over legal aid funding! Poor hard up things!grin x

POGS Thu 27-Mar-14 19:52:02

They quite rightly should loose a day's pay. I hope that is a process adhered to.

Eloethan Thu 27-Mar-14 23:21:51

Not all solicitors are rich - it is mostly the corporate, private client and tax lawyers that rake in lots of money.

J52 Fri 28-Mar-14 00:05:54

Just some of them, then! X