Gransnet forums

News & politics

Postage stamps

(30 Posts)
Charleygirl Sun 30-Mar-14 13:37:56

Is everybody aware that 1st and 2nd class stamps are going up yet again tomorrow? I think that it is 2 or 3p each. Horrendous.

numberplease Wed 02-Apr-14 15:40:08

Our main post office building, in town, has just closed down, and all post office business is now transferred to W.H Smith, who have converted a corner at the back end of the shop to accommodate the post office, thereby making the Smiths shop even smaller, it`s always been less than easy to get around, being rather poky and narrow. I haven`t been to the new post office as yet, the only improvement I can see is the automatic doors, I no longer have to use all my strength pushing the heavy doors open, and mistakenly pushing the pull one and vice versa! I presume there`s some sort of financial reward in it for Smiths.

yogagran Thu 03-Apr-14 11:23:40

I wish shops selling cards would have a special section for ones to be posted abroad as I've been caught out a few times with a card that cost more to post than it did to buy sad

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 11:28:22

I'm thinking of just hanging on to my old xmas cards and telling all my friends and relatives to do the same, and put the old ones up again each year!

I kept my last ever card from my lovely grandmother, and I bring it out every year. It's still going strong after 18 years!

cazthebookworm Thu 03-Apr-14 15:59:13

That brought back a long lost memory Janerowena of my mother bringing out the last xmas card, and in June, the last birthday card my dad gave her before he died. Sadly, she has gone too, but I have the last card she gave me, in my memory box.