Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scotland YES or NO

(999 Posts)
annodomini Mon 05-May-14 22:43:27

Here's an interesting blog by Jon Snow. He says what I have been saying - that Westminster politicians just don't understand the Scots and that the NO campaign is focusing almost entirely on negatives.

dodiegale1 Wed 24-Sep-14 16:31:28

Very much heartened by Nicola Sturgeon's words this morning. I think Brian Taylor sums up her comments well:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29348048

Let's hope this is the start of a new chapter and everyone can work together to put in place new powers for Scotland. Interesting times ahead...

thatbags Tue 23-Sep-14 20:38:48

I agree, g23, comments following newspaper articles are often much more fun to read than the articles themselves smile

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:39:38

I apologise, madge51. Petallus is right.
I should not answer rudeness with rudeness, and it was very bad manners of me.
Please accept my apology for the remark about the grammar.

Elegran Tue 23-Sep-14 19:37:27

Madge51 The referendum is over now. In case you missed the result, a majority of Scots voted not to go for independence.

In the weeks leading up to it, there were some heated debates on this forum, but we managed to discuss the issue without bloodshed or too much hyperbole. It is time to heal any wounds that are left. Please do not set everyone at one another's throats now.

mollie65 Tue 23-Sep-14 19:37:25

well said rosequartz

petallus Tue 23-Sep-14 19:36:23

It really is not acceptable to pick up on a poster's slight grammatical errors and use that against them.

madge51 I can understand your anger at some of the insensitive posts we have had on GN since the referendum result. You won't get very far on this forum however.

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:29:22

Are you truly unaware of how Scotland leads the rest of the UK in lots of areas?

You obviously have not read some of my previous posts in which I admired the Scottish people and their expertise and enterprise over the centuries.

If you are speaking to me, Madge51 (and you have not made that clear) then it is obvious that Scotland has lagged behind in education judging by your ungrammatical posts.

Your posts, however, justify some of the comments made in other posts by people who have felt intimidated by the 'yes' voters.
To quote you: 'Shame on you' - and you do those in favour of independence like the reasonable Granny23 no favours with your rudeness.

mollie65 Tue 23-Sep-14 19:26:57

Madge51 - everyone is entitled to their opinion - as are you.
They achieved that by plundering the wealth of the colonies and left places desolate when they had bled them dry. Nothing to boast about.
and the Scots were not involved then - only the English.confused

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:20:31

Nothing to boast about.
Really Madge51? Depends what sort of biased press you read I suppose whether it was good or bad.

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 18:58:13

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29213416

Madge51 Tue 23-Sep-14 18:57:37

Lillygran
What is the relevance of your comment? When we eventually get full independence we will most probably have our own passport. It maybe a lower priority but personally I'd welcome changes to all those website that only offer UK as country. The Westminster establishment is kidding itself if they still think they have the clout they did when it was the master of a huge empire. They achieved that by plundering the wealth of the colonies and left places desolate when they had bled them dry. Nothing to boast about.

Madge51 Tue 23-Sep-14 18:47:36

In normal circumstance I would treat your remarks with the contempt that they deserve.
Are you truly unaware of how Scotland leads the rest of the UK in lots of areas?

If the budget Scotland would wish to have available the we would have an even better NHS than we currently enjoy. With the SNP in charge we don't pay for eye tests or prescriptions, they have managed their fiscal affairs to support the NHS as one of the top priorities. England on the other hand still rakes in huge sums for those two things and still can't avoid huge waiting lists, hospitals that fall way below acceptable standards, queues of ambulances outside A&E and even people dying in ambulances in those queues.
Probably best to comment only on issues where you have a modicom of knowledge.
It's just a matter of time before Scotland is in total control of all its own affairs.

Madge51 Tue 23-Sep-14 18:39:50

Are you suggesting that 45% of us Scots were taking the p**s? If so you are sadly deluded and this is not that type of comment one would expect to here on the website. Shame on you.

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 18:09:08

Some people think this suggests that as the elderly die off, Scotland will be in with a chance to gain independence in a future referendum.
Better watch out then when they are in total control of the NHS. Perhaps they will ask Jeremy Paxman to come up and advise on euthanasia clinics on every corner - did he say that at the Edinburgh Festival? shock - the thin end of the wedge.

petallus Tue 23-Sep-14 18:02:19

Good point.

dodiegale1 Tue 23-Sep-14 17:02:10

Surely the next generation of the elderly will have similar concerns as this generation? Your views change as you get older. You have seen more governments come and go. You realise that some of the idealism of your youth just does not work in practice. I think it's a fallacy that, once this generation of 65+ dies off, they are going to be replaced by a generation that thinks completely differently.

(Happy to put it to the test - as long as we wait for the "once in a generation" that Alex Salmond promised!)

petallus Tue 23-Sep-14 16:48:09

According to the results of a poll by Lord Ashcroft (reported in The Times) 54 % of under 55 year olds were in favour of independence, a slim majority of the under 65s felt the same. It was people over 65 who voted against.

Some people think this suggests that as the elderly die off, Scotland will be in with a chance to gain independence in a future referendum.

POGS Tue 23-Sep-14 15:23:44

Watching the First Minister's Statement now, live on BBC Parliament.

Mr. Salmond is still 'implying' the Yes vote did not hold up due to underhand tactics and whilst his demeanour was a little more subdued and he is 'trying' to be gracious accepting the will of the majority of people to remain in the UK he is a little lacking in being a statesman that will be able to unite both yes and no voters.

Labour, Lib Dems, Green's and Conservatives gave fair and rational comments and statements. Now the SNP spokesman Kevin Stewart is stating those who voted No did so out of fear, told they would be deported etc. sad

It's early days but watching this it looks like it's business as usual and partisan politics is alive and kicking and those who shouted loudest cannot accept the silent majority held the power at the time of the vote and now deserve nothing less than respect for the decision of the majority to be upheld.

Granny23 Tue 23-Sep-14 10:12:09

The Herald allows you to read articles on line for a set period after which you will be invited to subscribe. If you do not pay up, you can still go on the site but only read the headlines and, strangely, all the readers comments which are often more interesting than the articles.

penguinpaperback Tue 23-Sep-14 09:31:58

And I have never registered to read the Herald.

thatbags Tue 23-Sep-14 09:31:44

Thanks, ppb! Good to know smile

penguinpaperback Tue 23-Sep-14 09:30:59

Good article bags, I was able to just click and read.

thatbags Tue 23-Sep-14 09:30:42

Update
It's possible I did register to read Herald articles, but since it didn't cost anything I thought why not. I've forgotten whether I registered.

thatbags Tue 23-Sep-14 07:02:43

Yes, exactly. If it hadn't been for Salmond there wouldn't have been a referendum and the people who lost the vote (some of them) would still be wanting independence. Oh wait! They still do because they won't accept a democratic majority decision.

Funny that, especially when, should it have gone the other way, those who voted no would have been expected to put up and shut up. Salmond is now talking in undemocratic terms of simply declaring independence in due course. That view is essentially fascist.

thatbags Tue 23-Sep-14 06:58:01

I didn't have to register.