Gransnet forums

News & politics

Allegations of cover up of historic child abuse involving politicians

(43 Posts)
Iam64 Sun 06-Jul-14 08:47:44

This has been mentioned on the Rolf Harris threads, and wondered if others would be interested in discussing it.

The rumours have been circulating for well over 30 years and I hope a full, independent enquiry takes place.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 18:25:44

"Whenim* I have just heard the reporting of Lord Mr Tebbit's statement on the News.

He really did not mince his words there did he. It was quite a statement to make and he did suggest that a cover up might have occurred.

I wonder if that was a straight comment by him or if was he primed to deliver that comment by the government in his role as an "Elder Statesman". We must watch this space.

Aka Sun 06-Jul-14 18:25:45

I won't post the obvious reply!

Mishap Sun 06-Jul-14 18:32:41

It is right and proper that these old allegations should be properly investigated and any attempts at a cover up thoroughly looked at. If people think they can get away with these crimes because time has passed, what message does that send to potential perpetrators now - you'll probably get away with it, you can "lose" files and no-one will notice, and if you let enough time pass you'll be OK - so, fine, let's just go ahead!

I hope that all the details come to light and are properly dealt with - it is not muck rating or a witch hunt - it is the proper process of the law which protects us all, whatever our position in society.

Aka Sun 06-Jul-14 18:37:44

Nellie crossed posts.

Stansgran Sun 06-Jul-14 18:54:21

I feel we are being made into a nation of voyeurs.

Mishap Sun 06-Jul-14 19:01:42

Not really voyeurism - I for one don't want to know all the details, I just want to know it is all being properly dealt with.

Ana Sun 06-Jul-14 19:01:48

I think that's a bit extreme, Stansgran.

GrannyTwice Sun 06-Jul-14 19:20:48

I think that's quite an insulting comment Stansgran a try reading my pp for my perspective on why it matters

Elegran Sun 06-Jul-14 19:37:38

If evidence appeared that a respected statesman had been cooking the nation's books and stashing away millions in the Bahamas, would we forget it as a mere foible, not worth sullying his name over?

If a murder had been committed in the cellars below Westminster decades ago and evidence came to light now that could convict someone, would we let it pass because it was long ago and it would just be muck-raking?

If others in Government had "lost" the files that cast suspicion on the murderes and fraudsters, probably because they were also involved, would we accept it without an enquiry into who, what, how when, where and why?

Stansgran Sun 06-Jul-14 19:41:46

I agree about feeling profoundly depressed but I do feel the newspapers arerubbing their hands with glee. They wouldn't print it if they felt people would turn away so it must be selling papers. So who is buying the papers. Several pages on Rolf Harris in my Times. I am delighted the rule of law has been upheld but they don't print pages about many other court cases. One of my pet hates is a bank of books in Asda all with the theme of child abusequite close to the children's section. I stand by what I said.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 19:56:26

Re stashing money away, no that wouldn't be ignored. We would want it back. Different altogether.

Murder under the Commons - the stink would have invaded the chamber by now. We would know about it. No possible cover up there.

Last paragraph in Elegran's post - would it be given quite so much coverage? I doubt it.

And who the fuck said these crimes against children should be be dismissed as "mere foibles"? hmm

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 19:56:39

I say 'allegations' and we will have to wait and see , because yes, the stage we are at with this, it is very early.Hopefully the truth will come out in time.We also have to be careful what we say on a public forum.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 06-Jul-14 20:06:01

rosesarered live dangerously. Go on.

Notso Sun 06-Jul-14 20:07:17

Well said Elegran!

Ana Sun 06-Jul-14 20:11:52

We don't have to be that careful, roses! We're only discussing what's already out there in the media for goodness sake.

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 20:13:31

no thanks Jingl my living dangerously life is behind me. grin

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 20:15:42

I know Ana [what you mean] but it's easy to get carried away on here sometimes and forget where we are.