Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU - in or out?

(186 Posts)
Mishap Mon 07-Jul-14 14:24:22

Just reading a book about this on my Kindle. I had no idea the huge sums of money involved - and the things it is spent on are making my eyebrows curl! The saga of successive PMs trying to hold back the tide of EU encroachment is quite fascinating - it seems to be a club we have never really been in - just tinkered around at the edges and spent loads-a-dosh on.

Apparently, by the end of the book, there is a cost/benefit analysis and I look forward to this. I have no idea which side I will come down on, but at the moment it seems to me that the goal of unity and peace is more likely to be fostered by being out, as no-one in the club seems to agree about anything very much. And we all know about how violence is more common in family settings.

I just thought I should find out a bit more detail if the much-vaunted referendum ever happens, so I will vote on the basis of some knowledge rather than none.

rosequartz Sat 12-Jul-14 13:04:44

Hollydaze - I was referring more to some posters on GN threads who are derogatory about the UK!! although they live here themselves. grin

I have heard my Australian relatives make comments about the UK being 'finished' (really?), but now they are more concerned about 'rip-off' Australia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7141279.stm
Signing of the Lisbon Treaty by Gordon Brown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11598879
From the BBC, hardly a Thatcher supporter

rosequartz Sat 12-Jul-14 13:06:51

sorry blush

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7141279.stm

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11598879

HollyDaze Sun 13-Jul-14 10:22:05

Interesting links rosequartz. I do think Gordon Brown holds a lot of responsibility for today's situation that the UK is in with regard to the EU and even though he is, and has been described as, Britain's most inept PM, part of me feels a bit sorry for him.

I agree with most of the BBC link - especially In 1980, she called for the UK's contributions to the then EEC to be adjusted, warning that otherwise she would withhold VAT payments. "I want my money back!" she exclaimed. - oh to have a PM with her guts again!

Mishap Sun 13-Jul-14 10:26:58

More installments of book to come - with slight delay as I am on holiday and have opted for some lighter reading for this week!

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 10:27:18

Perhaps we need another woman PM! None of the men seem to have guts!

HollyDaze Sun 13-Jul-14 10:34:34

More installments of book to come - with slight delay as I am on holiday and have opted for some lighter reading for this week!

What! You've opted to enjoy yourself on your holiday instead of wading through that book Mishap - gross dereliction of duty methinks grin

HollyDaze Sun 13-Jul-14 10:37:06

I am inclined to agree rosequartz - way too much back-scratching going on instead of deciding what's best for the UK.

Harriet Harman seems to putting the idea out about herself being considered for the role of Deputy Leader - how would you feel about her? Not sure of her stance on Europe though if I'm honest.

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 10:39:55

shock no no no

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 10:40:42

Quite honestly, I'd rather have Ed M than Hattie.

HollyDaze Sun 13-Jul-14 11:13:37

Hmm, take it you're not a fan then rosequartz grin

I don't know much about her at all to be honest. Now trying to think what other women there are that could be considered - none jumping to mind.