Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is our Prime Minister really this dense?

(128 Posts)
thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 16:20:24

@BBCBreaking: David Cameron says internet firms have a "responsibility" to stop terrorists using their services to plan attacks t.co/Yr4SGuD6fS

Just as arms dealers have a responsibility to stop people who buy guns from killing others? Just like that, huh?

soontobe Tue 25-Nov-14 18:38:23

Is it the "responsilbilty" bit that you are objecting to thatbags?

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 18:46:38

No.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 18:48:30

It's DC's stupidity that's annoying me. News now saying that the murder could not have been prevented (oresumably by intelligence services).

He's only whining at social media because there has been a CameronMustGo hashtag (which I'm not following). Tit for tat. Childish.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 18:49:13

He's a bloody prime minister. Where is his statesmanship?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:09:09

Oh! Obviously I wasn't really comparing Facebook to Gransnet! hmm I really thought anyone would be able to see the intended humour in that.

Yes. MI5 knew about them. And if the facebook message had been brought to their attention they would have done something about it.

Yes. Facebook is H U U U etc G E. Which means they can afford to employ many moderators.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:11:03

"where is his statesmanship"??!!! He is suggesting making new laws to control the internet in the face of terrorism. What more "statesmanship" than that do you require? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:13:17

Have you actually listened to what Rifkin said? (on the link I put up) He made an exception of this part of the whole thing. He acknowledged that the knowledge might have helped.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:14:25

"He's only whining at social media because there has been a CameronMustGo hashtag (which I'm not following). Tit for tat. Childish"

!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be joking! (or projection)

trisher Tue 25-Nov-14 19:27:32

I think there is a worrying side to this. The government is trying to introduce more legislation to spy on individuals and in blaming Facebook they produce "evidence" that this is a necessary intrusion.
Quote from the article
"Human rights group Liberty said the ISC had "shamelessly" spun the facts in order to shift the blame on to communications companies."

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 19:35:58

Thanks, trisher.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:39:39

But you can't sit back and allow terrorists to use Facebook to plan, and recruit for, their atrocities.

Elegran Tue 25-Nov-14 19:42:26

How many loudmouthed t****s each day post on Facebook that they are going to kill a soldier?

How many of those boasts can Facebook verify each day and forward to the FBI or other relevant authority?

How many front doors can the FBI break down each day to arrest those same loudmouthed t***s?

How many angry parents of misguided teenagers each day will sue Facebook and the FBI for harassing thier sweet little children for childish exaggeration?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:45:26

worth reading It seems Facebook say they do not allow their site to used for terrorist purposes, whereas, in fact, they do.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 19:48:23

They delete stuff that breaks their rules when they know about it. Same as Gransnet. What more can they do?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:50:43

Be more thorough> As the threat of being into Court might encourage them to be.

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 19:53:19

How?

Jane10 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:58:07

By developing and using smart software. They have the technology to find out what to sell us. They can put their minds to helping us detect potential threats. That's how!

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 20:03:38

MI5 can't do it but Facebook can. OK. Gotcha.

soontobe Tue 25-Nov-14 20:22:04

My mind is trying to grasp all this.

I think I saw recently that people are being told by Facebook what words to look out for if someone using Facebook might be thinking of committing suicide?
So Facebook could be proactive in advising people what words to look out for if someone using Facebook is genuinely plotting terrorism hmm confused

soontobe Tue 25-Nov-14 20:22:59

Is that what you mean Jane10?

rosesarered Tue 25-Nov-14 20:23:29

Facebook may be able to do more than they do currently, however it seems as if the fault [if you want to call it that, as this man's death may not have been preventable] is down to MI5, as they did have knowledge of these men and perhaps could have done more [or not! It's hard to really know isn't it?]

Jane10 Tue 25-Nov-14 20:25:36

Different roles. Different filters. Facebook is only one way to potentially monitor internet traffic. Its not a case of either or. MI5 should be busy on the dark net. Everyone should contribute who can. It's not worth getting all worked up about Cameron. He's just the current PM. This war on terror will go on for years

POGS Tue 25-Nov-14 21:20:44

Has anybody watched the 'Lee Rugby Murder' statement and questions session in parliament this afternoon I mentioned earlier on in this thread?

Call David Cameron a t--t call him an idiot but watch him speaking today and it does get the point he was trying to make in context.

Then you can make an informed decision on facts not supposition or whether you like the man or not. You can make your own astute decision, rather than rely on media bias or lack of information in print.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 22:05:56

POGS we can't be expected to watch all of it. Some of us don't have the telly on during the day. It is fine to just watch the videos of the important bits.

POGS Tue 25-Nov-14 22:22:37

Jinglbellsfrock

I take your point.

I did ask if anyone had seen it? I was genuinely interested to know as some other GN's mention they watch Parliament too.