Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jack Straw & Malcolm Rifkind in 'cash for access' sting.

(110 Posts)
POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 00:57:30

Don't they learn anything?

Jack Straw suspended from the Labour Party whilst investigations are taking place. Malcolm Rifkind is also reportedly caught in the sting by The Telegraph and Channel 4 dispatches program where they are both on film boasting about 'cash for access'.

How can these two senior politicians be so utterly stupid. They are both near the end of their careers and now will 'possibly' leave with tarnished reputations 'if found guilty'!

Jack Straw was going to have enough to deal with when Chilcot finally comes out but honestly this too!

Malcolm Rifkind is an absolute idiot and if they are found guilty they both deserve all they get.

durhamjen Fri 27-Feb-15 00:06:28

I have a problem with this.

act.sumofus.org/go/7579?t=4&akid=9593.1669823.ryh6Un

axlefoley Fri 27-Feb-15 00:44:57

Would like to see their bank accounts balances.

Envious Fri 27-Feb-15 00:49:46

I though Jack Straw was a good guy.I even read his autobiography.sad

Gracesgran Fri 27-Feb-15 08:53:00

I rather like the rules in the US (and I don't say that very often smile) where they can work at something else but are limited to, I think it was, a third or their political salary.

Of course this could be abused sad

Gracesgran Fri 27-Feb-15 08:53:22

of not or

BRedhead59 Fri 27-Feb-15 10:13:45

It is nonsense to say that MP's need a second job to extend their experience if they spent time with their constituents that would give them real experience rather than sitting around in board meetings and having lunch!
MP's could also do with being less arrogant and more interested in real people with real challenges and successes.

POGS Fri 27-Feb-15 10:46:21

BRedhead59

I don't see why parliament would benefit from having MP's who cannot have a second job.

Why do you think a doctor for example should be unable to practise for 5 years?.

Don't you think they would probably never put their name forward so we could be missing excellent MP's and sitting in their place would be a career politician who may have less of a contribution to make during debates and voting in legislation.

Eloethan Fri 27-Feb-15 12:27:12

Personally, I think it would be good if there was a requirement that people who stand for election have had some work experience outside of politics.

Once they are MPs, though, I don't think they should have directorships and other positions in companies that might lead to a conflict of interest and to them neglecting their parliamentary duties.

I do agree that those with professions that require continuing professional development criteria to be carried out in order for professional status to be maintained should be able to do the minimum hours required in order to do this. They may, as has been said, be voted out after five years and may then wish to return to their former employment.

durhamjen Fri 27-Feb-15 18:15:36

There was a vote on it on 25th February. Needless to say the government got its way.
This is from Hansard.

"Ms Eagle: To make it clear again, the parliamentary Labour party will change its rules and its standing orders so that from the start of the next Parliament no Labour MP will have remunerated directorships or consultancies. All our candidates and all our existing Members of Parliament will have to change their arrangements in order to comply with this change of rules. Will the right hon. Gentleman now commit to his party doing the same?

Mr Hague: No, as is very clear from my speech. I have made the point that the Committee on Standards in Public Life made. The hon. Lady has said what the Labour party will do in the next Parliament, but I hope she will admit that she has to deal with the points I have been making about how to define these responsibilities, because they are not dealt with at the moment. There is no clear answer from the Opposition even about what their policy is."