Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pensioners soon be hit by bedroom tax?

(54 Posts)
MamaCaz Thu 26-Feb-15 13:08:10

This is an article in todays Telegraph.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11436320/What-if-pensioners-paid-the-bedroom-tax.html

Should it be seen as an indication that pensioners will not be protected from bedroom tax for much longer?

Maybe I should have put this in the Politics section, but as it's in todays newspaper ...

rosequartz Fri 27-Feb-15 09:58:11

The Telegraph must have been infiltrated by that 'Intergenerational Foundation' or whatever it's called.

granjura Fri 27-Feb-15 10:19:37

You'd be surprised jane- I know of whole streets of council homes where the tenant/s, in their 60s and 70s are still in situ, their families having grown up and gone. One lady I know has one bedroom for hoarding lots of junk (you can't get in) and the other for all her China dolls, and then her own large double bedroom.

Eloethan Fri 27-Feb-15 14:33:06

I think it was on Question Time (or maybe Channel 4 News) last night that someone said it is not a case of all pensioners being well off and all young people suffering financially. Some people in both those groups are well off and some are facing great financial difficulties. I agree with those that say this government is encouraging people to blame each other for their misfortunes rather than to confront the real reasons for poverty and inequality.

jingle I disagree with your statement that those who have the most are those that have worked the hardest. I think we can probably see many examples around us of people who work extremely hard who are underpaid and who will never be able to amass enough money to live comfortably.