Gransnet forums

News & politics

William and Harry - I'm puzzled.

(298 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 27-Feb-15 15:54:22

I usually support the Royal Family but I don't 'get' William and Harry's decision making (or their advisers') when it comes to their future roles.

William seems desperate to put off being a full time Royal even though the Queen is understandably cutting back on her engagements and Prince Charles is no spring chicken himself. OK, he's in Japan at the moment but becoming a full time Air Ambulance pilot will reduce his Royal duties even more and sounds like a bit of a jolly to me.

Harry, on the other hand, has a 'proper job' in the Army but he's going to give it up later this year to concentrate on his charity work and pursue his interests in conservation and wildlife hmm

rosequartz Thu 05-Mar-15 11:13:54

if Hilary Clinton wins next year there will be no First Lady!

Will they have a First Gent?

annodomini Thu 05-Mar-15 12:18:43

The Obamas have a first dog - something like a Portuguese water dog!

Anniebach Thu 05-Mar-15 12:33:22

But rosequartz , not just the corgis but the dorgis, the queen has labs too , think Charles has labs and Jack Russell , William has a lab, so which is the first dog, I vote for the terrier

merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-15 13:18:03

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2980249/Charles-don-t-let-grandson-George-writes-SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE.html

Allegedly

Maybe he should join Gnet and have a good old rant.

Can you imagine the granny wars if Diana were still alive? grin

nigglynellie Thu 05-Mar-15 14:34:51

Think they could be losing this position in favour of Lupo the spaniel!!

Anniebach Thu 05-Mar-15 14:45:03

If Diana had lived there wouldn't have been a marriage between William and Kate

rosequartz Thu 05-Mar-15 14:45:49

anniebach it has to be the lab! He/she could chew up the First Slippers and the First Carpet grin

We have a bloody little yappy Jack Russell living nearby, so not one of those!

nigglynellie Thu 05-Mar-15 14:51:07

Why wouldn't William have married Katherine if Diana had lived? Always supposing he had gone to St Andrews that is.

Anniebach Thu 05-Mar-15 15:01:17

Because nigglynellie , Diana fell out with every woman in her life , Catherine and her family would have been seen heading for the hills and who could blame them

rosequartz , I lived two doors away from a Jack Russell , nightmare

nigglynellie Thu 05-Mar-15 15:51:56

With William following them!! It was a well known fact that he was beginning to find his mother tiresome, and I'm not sure that as an adult he would have been prepared to be pushed about by her, particularly as she wasn't in the royal household anymore and might even have been living abroad, with hubby number?? Not sure that she would have had any say whatsoever in William's choice of bride!!

Ana Thu 05-Mar-15 16:08:55

I've never come across that 'well-known fact' nigglynellie (although I can't say I'm any sort of royal watcher...)

Ana Thu 05-Mar-15 16:12:28

He was 15 when Diana died - what boy of that age doesn't find fault with his parents? grin

nigglynellie Thu 05-Mar-15 17:28:32

It's all hypothetical so not worth talking about. I think Prince William would have been his own man whatever his mother thought, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to marry anyone! Diana would have been extremely unimportant in royal circles, unwelcome at court, and very little heed paid to her opinions. A much worse position than Sarah F who at least is on good terms with her ex which must make life easier for her with regard to her daughters. Even so, she is still excluded from anything to do with the royal family as indeed Diana would have been. Apart from 'visits' I doubt that that Katherine or anyone else would have see much of their MIL!

merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-15 17:33:35

For those who profess to know so much about the inner workings of court, it's Catherine Middleton.

nigglynellie Thu 05-Mar-15 18:12:12

Of course that should have been a 'C'. Slip of the keyboard.

CelticRose Sat 07-Mar-15 16:38:44

...or his MIL.

Just seen in news that a former illustrious PM who took us into war now has a fortune in excess of £54 million - estimated.

Many years ago when this twit was running hmm the country (down?) the leader of the opposition was hailed by many as the best PM we never had. Thank you Mr Haigh for your service. If the former lawyer can earn millions after such a bad job, you should then be earning billions when you stand down in May.

My point. MPs have to declare Register of Interest and Earnings. Whereas, the Saxe Coburg Mountbatten Windsors (think I have missed out a few surnames, too) do not. It was well publicised a few years ago that they were carried kicking and screaming to Inland Revenue for first time. Forbes have estimated a personal fortune in excess of £60 billion for just one of the Marmites (a name given to them by their own PR machine). Strangely enough - this country was bankrupt after WWII according to history books.

petallus Sat 07-Mar-15 16:56:20

I confess I'm a sucker for royal gossip.

So Diana was a dreadful woman who fell out with every woman she met, her sons were beginning to grow tired of her, she was totally unimportant to everybody and anybody and yet awful enough to drive away any prospective partners of her sons and their families.

Oh and she would probably have been on marriage number ? by now if she hadn't died before she could get started on her profligate lifestyle.

Nice!

rosequartz Sat 07-Mar-15 20:09:46

Teenagers do get stroppy with their mothers.

However, I do think those boys loved their mother; they would have known how to handle her as they grew more mature.

I wonder if Prince William is a Republican? Quite honestly, I wouldn't blame him!

merlotgran Sat 07-Mar-15 20:13:39

I don't know about a republican, rosequartz but the house of Middleton is on the rise.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 10:58:30

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2984596/GIRL-TOWN-Carole-moves-Royal-housekeeper.html

Oooh! I must be psychic! grin

Coffee and gossip from the MOS. How sinful!

Anniebach Sun 08-Mar-15 12:13:27

Quite natural for a mother to be with her pregnant daughter , not squashed into a three bedroomed house are they

Anniebach Sun 08-Mar-15 12:20:40

petallus , it takes some doing to fall out with mother, sister, brother, mother in law, sister in law and several friends all at the same time .