Gransnet forums

News & politics

All bets are on!

(307 Posts)
whitewave Fri 01-May-15 09:58:37

Right I have had a look at the polls today and at the moment the Tories are likely to get more seats than the Labour by a margin of 9.
So Tories 276
Labour 267
Libs 26
UKIP 2
SNP 56
Green 1
Others 22

Given that a practical majority is 323, who do you think will be likely to be able to form a government and how will the coalition look?

My guess is if Labour steadfastly refuse to have anything to do with the SNP than the Tories will form a coalition of themselves plus libs and ukip which makes 276+26+2= 304 so they will need at least 19 more seats - not sure where these will come from though.

If however the SNP comply with Labour's manifesto (unlikely) than the next Government will be formed by a Labour coalition with a good working majority of Lab plus libs plus greens plus snp. So 267+26+1+56= 350.

However if the SNP can't comply with Labour than neither parties seem to be able to form a government so what then? Back to the drawing board?

I find this so interesting!!!! How sad am I?blush

Ana Wed 06-May-15 19:52:36

And Ed has told us where he and the other Ed will make cuts, have they? confused

durhamjen Wed 06-May-15 20:14:39

You could try reading their manifesto to find out.

Ana Wed 06-May-15 20:19:34

Oh I have read it, durhamjen. It's all rather vague...rather like the Tombstone Promises.

Mishap Wed 06-May-15 21:56:57

I too feel sorry for the polling station staff - not because they will be run off their feet here, but because they will be stuck in our tiny draughty village hall twiddling their thumbs most of the time as our population here is small and widespread. There will be periods of hours at a time when they will have nothing to do but wish it was warmer. Let us hope they have brought plenty of 50 ps for the electricity meter!

janerowena Thu 07-May-15 10:32:19

A couple of my friends do it at ours, and they love it! They can put a name to almost every face in the village, and everyone gets to know them, which makes them happy.

Not my thing, but I think maybe it just suits some people.

soontobe Thu 07-May-15 10:40:18

I know several of them. They volunteer repeatedly for it.
They do get paid. Not hugely, but the ones that I know who do it, would do it for free.