Gransnet forums

News & politics

Greece

(97 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:23:28

Well they've voted no to the bale out offer. What next? What should we think?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jul-15 11:13:40

Him with the hair on the telly said this morning that the daily amount people can draw out from the hole-in-the-wall dispensers could well drop to 20 euros.

Jane10 Thu 09-Jul-15 08:17:07

Do you mean Robert Peston? Good description. I was wondering why he looked so unkempt.

Anya Thu 09-Jul-15 08:42:59

Is there such a word as kemp?

just asking

Anya Thu 09-Jul-15 08:43:33

Kempt ...

rosesarered Thu 09-Jul-15 08:54:11

You are right Tricia, about the EU ( creation of) . It was just a mistake, by all I have read, to admit Greece when it did, as the country was in no way ready.Their own leaders lied about the finances, as they were keen to enter the EU, buy perhaps it was known that they were lying anyway.

Nonnie Thu 09-Jul-15 10:41:40

If there wasn't such a word Anya there is now and I shall add it to my vocab. I rather like 'underwhelmed' as well and am not sure if that is an official word or not but often describes how I feel about things others think are wonderful.

Anya Thu 09-Jul-15 12:38:06

If there's 'underwhelmed' and 'overwhelmed' there must also be a 'whelmed' .

Ana Thu 09-Jul-15 12:54:25

There is indeed!

whelm /wɛlm/ archaic

verb - past tense: whelmed; past participle: whelmed

engulf, submerge, or bury.
"a swimmer whelmed in a raging storm"

•well up or flow.
"the brook whelmed up from its source"

trisher Fri 10-Jul-15 09:43:02

Watched Question time and most of them thought the bankers were to blame-surprise surprise!!

whitewave Fri 10-Jul-15 09:49:39

Greece can never pay the debt however much austerity is applied to the population. Perversly the more that is applied the less ability there will be by the country to grow their economy and so repay the money owing.

The EU must bite the bullet and recognise this. Of course they must sell this to voters particularly in Finland and Germany, but I would not have thought that impossible.

soontobe Mon 13-Jul-15 14:41:51

The Greek Government seem to have gone for austerity, when it's people voted no.
I wonder what the people will do now. I dont think that they are going to accept quietly. I think that they will rebel against their Government.

soontobe Mon 13-Jul-15 14:48:58

Are true European colours of weathier countries ruling or controlling others, emerging?

Jane10 Mon 13-Jul-15 16:20:21

No

soontobe Mon 13-Jul-15 18:11:58

You cant just leave it at that! grin

I was very struck by a picture where Angela Merkel and 3 others were sitting opposite the 3 people presumably from Greece.

Why was Germany appearing to be in charge?

whitewave Mon 13-Jul-15 18:28:31

Becausec

whitewave Mon 13-Jul-15 18:29:23

Sorry try again!

Because they are - charge I mean

Elegran Mon 13-Jul-15 18:41:11

Who would you have sitting opposite the three Greeks then, STB?

soontobe Mon 13-Jul-15 18:59:34

whitewave - because Germany and France are owed the most by the Greeks?

Elegran - depending on whitewave's answer, but there are about 26 countries in the EU , so 3 from different countries on a rolling random basis.

Tegan Mon 13-Jul-15 19:13:20

We had a holiday in Greece soon after they took on the euro [not sure if that's the right term; don't inderstand finance at all] and it was chaotic even then. Prices appeared to have doubled overnight and it seemed to be the people on the street and the small shopkeepers that were struggling with it. It made us determined that Britain should keep it's own currency. We wondered at the time if a lot of people were making a lot of money out of it. And it still seems wrong that Germany should have had no debt whatsoever after WWII but are now controlling everything.

soontobe Mon 13-Jul-15 19:17:14

Found this.
Sort of says what I am trying to say.

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/greek-crisis/greece%e2%80%99s-brutal-creditors-have-demolished-the-eurozone-project/ar-AAcU71c?ocid=mailsignoutmd

petra Mon 13-Jul-15 19:19:53

I assume that one of the others sitting with Angela was Hollande.
Angela is the unelected president of Europe and Hollonde is her lap dog.