Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jermy Corbyn elected

(1001 Posts)
Teetime Sat 12-Sep-15 11:45:58

Bugger it that's the next election lost.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 12:28:23

ab - you didn't really think GO posted that did you?! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 12:30:41

ab because he thinks he can make friends with terrorists?

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 12:30:58

Why not jingle it seemed his level of humour

Gracesgran Sat 12-Sep-15 12:31:02

I think that will be really important Annie both in the party with those who had concerns and within the press - not that we won't see an awful lot of silly nonsense smile

The fact that he won with in the Labour membership as well as the other sections does mean that those who have talked of ousting him will have to review their position.

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 12:33:47

Has he said he wants to make friends with terrorists ? I thought he said talking with all ,why not? Blasting Iraq and Afghanistan didn't work did it? In fact it made things worse

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 12:36:47

Gracesgran, it is very important that he is the choice of the people . Wonder who will be in the new shadow cabinet

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 12:41:34

Have already received emails from some MP's who are sticking with the party and they supported other candidates, they are putting the party first , not their ego

Gracesgran Sat 12-Sep-15 12:41:38

It will certainly be interesting. Tom Watson will no doubt want to do a drive to get people voting but the difficulty will be that many of any new cohort of electors who vote Labour may well be in existing Labour constituencies. Oh for PR smile.

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 12:45:22

And may be in labour constituencies where labour lost in the last election Gracesgran, not because the Tories took votes but labour supporters didn't vote, many have lost hope, I think Corbyn will give hope back, it will be difficult I agree

Gracesgran Sat 12-Sep-15 12:50:46

Have you seen the pictures of the numbers at the rally?

rosequartz Sat 12-Sep-15 12:51:27

IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH GEORGE OSBORNE! jen IT'S A JOKE as I hinted very obviously

There are some people on GN who would not recognise a joke thatbags
(as I have found out on another thread!)

rosequartz Sat 12-Sep-15 12:53:22

this is a momentous day

I agree, Gracesgran
A day to remember

Gracesgran Sat 12-Sep-15 12:54:21

True Annie. It is a place to start. If numbers rise in the already Labour constituencies to a point that they can feel more confident it means more work can be done elsewhere.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 12:56:51

If ever the likes of him came to power, the country would be in recession in a month or two.

rosequartz Sat 12-Sep-15 12:57:19

May you live in interesting times comes to mind.
(that supposedly Chinese curse)

tanith Sat 12-Sep-15 13:10:29

I think he may surprise a lot of people Tory and Labour.. I was sceptical about him but I liked what he had to say and look forward to see if his own party will do the decent thing and get behind the new leader.

kittylester Sat 12-Sep-15 13:11:02

I'm quite pleased!

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 13:12:02

I think everyone on this forum has the ability , intelligence and sense of humour to enjoy a joke rosequartz, not just a select few ,just difference senses of humour

I didn't get Cameron's alleged joke that he thought the people of Yorkshire hated everyone else but now he realises they also hate each other

Well he said it was a joke and we all know his word is gospel

kittylester Sat 12-Sep-15 13:13:53

And, I think we may well do roseq. I wonder if we are going to see a new SDP situation emerge?

Gracesgran Sat 12-Sep-15 13:14:28

^Did you watch the interviews beforehand, with Richard Murphy of www.taxresearch.org^

Was that the one where the interviewee (I didn't spot who it was) said that it was interesting that 40 economists had supported Corbynomics in one paper and 40 economists had opposed it in another (the Telegraph I think). They actually agreed on all the principles of Corbynomics i.e., investment in public infrastructure projects, housing and manufacturing at the same time as boosting employment and economic growth. The only thing they disagreed on was how to fund it. Those against wanted traditional Bonds and those for wanted people's QE.

I do hope TINA is finally dead. There was always an alternative it just didn't suit the capitalists who now swamp the Conservative party.

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 13:17:08

Just met our next door neighbours, they were working in their front garden and called out to us gleefully 'He's got in!' What makes this funny is that they are Conservative votersgrin but they had been hoping he would win, as a lot of other Conservatives would have been hoping too.Tom Watson
As deputy, ( I rather like the Tom and Jerry Tag) so two leaders of the far left, the unions will be very pleased.Jerry certainly does a good line in rhetoric, just heard him on tv promising all things to all people, however he will have a long wait to do anything about it( if he makes it to the next election.)

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 13:17:57

Watching The One Show last night was a giggle, a reporter went to a place called Guilford which is a Tory seat, he put forward Corbyns mandate but didn't mention Corbyn, the people in the street were united in their opinion that every thing put to them was what they agreed with - they were Tories

Alea Sat 12-Sep-15 13:18:01

Just wish I'd put a fiver on him to win back in the days when the bookies were offering 500-1!

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-15 13:19:32

No,he did not promise all things to all people, he spoke of what he wanted for all people

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 13:21:40

Guildford, anniebach, it's a well known place.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion