Gransnet forums

News & politics

The National Anthem

(161 Posts)
Eloethan Wed 16-Sep-15 00:32:51

It seems to me that if we call ourselves a democracy then anybody should be perfectly at liberty not to have to sing the national anthem. It is, in my opinion, a horrible dirge of a song anyway with ridiculous words that concentrate wholly on the monarch rather than on the country and its people.

There has been almost universal condemnation of Jeremy Corbyn for not singing words with which he does not agree. No doubt, if he had sung the national anthem there would have been a lot of sneering remarks about him being a hypocrite. Some people snigger at other countries for treating their leaders as if they were divine beings and yet it seems to me that many people in this country have a similarly strange attitude towards the monarch who is, after all, just another human being.

wondergran Wed 16-Sep-15 05:21:54

I think the media nowadays pick up on every single little thing which, quite often, borders on the ridiculous. I presume Mr Corbyn is anti monachary, which he is totally entitled to be and could not force himself to sing the national anthem. He attended the ceremony, was dressed suitably and showed the correct level of respect that this occasion warranted which is all that matters.

cornergran Wed 16-Sep-15 07:40:21

If you take on a very public and challenging role this will happen. I wonder though at what point the responsibility of a role supersedes personal belief. Lots of levels here.

Anya Wed 16-Sep-15 07:49:17

I have no trouble with him standing quietly but not singing the national anthem.

Luckygirl Wed 16-Sep-15 08:08:58

I have no problem at all with that. He was respectfully quiet and no hypocritical.

I do the same when I play at church services - remain respectfully quiet during prayers. No-one has a problem with that and I do not have a problem with Corbyn's behaviour.

The National Anthem is a total pain - it would be lovely to have something new instead of this imperialist crap.

whenim64 Wed 16-Sep-15 08:33:18

I feel the same - I don't see what the problem is. He treats others with respect so why criticise this?

tanith Wed 16-Sep-15 08:36:29

I think it's a big fuss about nothing. The media is just looking for things to pick at about Corbyn. He was perfectly respectful , can you be rude by NOT doing something?

Anniebach Wed 16-Sep-15 08:54:22

This is a country where the Anthem use to be played in cinemas but finally stopped because of the rush of the public to get out before the first note sounded.

The press are condemning Corbyn for insulting the queen , the same press who when Diana died behaved like a pack of baying hounds after blood - the queens blood, one newspaper accused her husband and son of murder

It's an awful Anthem , praising a head of state not a country

The man behaved with respect for the occasion

merlotgran Wed 16-Sep-15 09:28:40

I'm not a Jeremy Corbyn fan but I think he did the right thing. He's made no secret of the fact that he's not a monarchist so to sing it would have been hypocritical.

Eloethan Wed 16-Sep-15 09:36:03

My husband pointed out these tweets to me this morning:

"Sing you traitor. How is this man even an MP, let alone the leader of the opposition?"

I liked the riposte:

"Because singing is not a requirement to become an MP. You're thinking of the X Factor."

Anniebach Wed 16-Sep-15 09:40:00

Eloethan, so funny,

annodomini Wed 16-Sep-15 09:47:08

It's a storm in a teacup and probably a predictable one, knowing Corbyn's previous record. But it's a great gift to the right wing press.

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Sep-15 09:47:15

I think I agree with everyone about this. Corbyn behaved with dignity and I dislike our National Anthem it not exactly rousing or inspiring.

I agree with Luckygirls point completely.

I found it interesting a year or so ago that when we went to seaside brass band performance that my son was conducting. At the end they played the drum roll introduction bit to the national anthem and we all stood up without a second thought. There's programming for you.

Devorgilla Wed 16-Sep-15 09:49:38

Nice tweets Eloethan. He is a republican in his views and, in a free country, has the right to express that view. I have no issue with him maintaining a respectful silence. Tory press looking for any excuse and they will find plenty, real or imaginary. Danger lies in how many people jump on their bandwagon as they did for Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband. I will be interested to see what happens at PMQs today.

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 09:52:59

Cornergran, I agree with your post.Lots of levels.I think that this simply echoes the feeling that a lot of people have, can you really have an effective Leader Of The Opposition ( maybe the next PM.... Not that I think he will be) but in theory he could be, who is a Republican, and a committed pacifist
In the job? yesterday was about celebrating the bravery of the young( for the most part although my late FIL was 40 when he was flying during the war) RAF pilots, as a pacifist Corbyn,if he had been alive at the time, would have refused to fight. Singing the National Anthem was part of this service of rememberance of their bravery and duty.
anniebach, you say you love your own National Anthem, how would people in Wales feel about a Wesh Leader refusing to open his mouth?It doesn't matter that the British Anthem is God save the Queen rather than simply about the country, because it can't be, My country is England, but the British National Anthem has to be inclusive of all the countries in Britain, so as the Queen is the Head Of State, it makes sense.

Alea Wed 16-Sep-15 09:55:08

Storm last seen looking for a teacup?
Lots of people in the photo I saw seemed to have their mouths shut. He stood up respectfully and that should be an end of it, but oh no, the media have decided to go for the "mismatched jacket and trousers" the " undone top shirt button" etc I may not be a Corbyn supporter, but this seems too trivial to bother about.
Michael Foot's "donkey jacket" may have done for his political career, is image really all we care about? confused

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 09:55:18

The fact that a lot if people dislike our National Anthem for not being inspiring is neither here nor there.

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 09:56:51

I would disagree Alea, don't think it was the clothes, it was the refusal to sing.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 09:59:05

I think this is the start of the fall of Corbyn. grin Didn't take long did it?! Can you imagine a Prime Minister not singing the National Anthem at the Cenotaph? Can you imagine the atmosphere at the regular meetings with the monarch at Buck House?

Things are starting to get really --funny- interesting. We can now sit back and watch. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 10:00:24

(and enjoy)

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 10:00:40

Btw, I am not a monarchist especially, feel lukewarm about anything Royal,
But it IS our National Anthem and JC is in a position of power ( which he hasn't fully realised as yet.)

Anniebach Wed 16-Sep-15 10:09:44

rosesarered, I doubt a Welsh leader wouldn't want to express their love for and pride in country. How can you say the national anthem is inclusive of all the countries of the UK? Crush the rebellious Scots is inclusive ?

chelseababy Wed 16-Sep-15 10:10:43

Wasn't there a similar furore when Wayne Rooney didn't sing before an England match? I noticed that at the last match he did sing. Media pressure or perhaps he just learned the words?

Anniebach Wed 16-Sep-15 10:12:26

Alea, some do care more about clothes worn than what a person says

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 10:12:38

Because it is the National Anthem , we may not care for either the wording, the sentiments or the tune, but at this moment in time, it is what we have.