News & politics

What Martin Amis thinks of Jeremy Corbyn

(198 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sun 25-Oct-15 09:57:48

I'm with him on this

Teetime Sun 25-Oct-15 09:59:53

I expect he is reassured by that.

petallus Sun 25-Oct-15 10:08:55

He probably thinks Corby is a bit of an oik. Just a grammar school boy!

rosequartz Sun 25-Oct-15 10:32:02

I can't stand Martin Amis.

I would rather spend a day with Jeremy Corbyn thanks smile (unless he is riding his bike).

rosequartz Sun 25-Oct-15 10:33:43

ps I know he means as leader of a political party, but anything MA said would immediately make me bristle and have contradictory thoughts.

durhamjen Sun 25-Oct-15 10:36:08

Martin Amis a leading figure on the British left for three decades?
Who? Did anyone else know?

Tegan Sun 25-Oct-15 10:52:03

Is he still a tax exile or was he just a temporary one?

Tegan Sun 25-Oct-15 10:52:19

...Amis, that is!

Jane10 Sun 25-Oct-15 11:08:18

How uncalled for. Sounds like Martin Amis might have missed something in his own education -open-mindedness, credit where its due, respect for democratic selection etc etc etc

Riverwalk Sun 25-Oct-15 11:12:55

I'm a bit confused here as once met someone who was at grammar school with Amis - hope there's not two of them!

durhamjen Sun 25-Oct-15 11:41:54

I think he's still a tax exile. He announced in 2012 he was going to live in the US. I am sure if he came back, he would tell everybody.

What people like him forget is that they still just have one vote.

grumppa Sun 25-Oct-15 11:53:21

As a frivolous recollection of life in the editorial department of the NS in the late seventies, the article is quite fun to read. As a piece of topical political journalism it's rubbish, even if some of MA's opinions of JC are widely shared.

mollie Sun 25-Oct-15 12:00:19

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions but I'm not a MA fan at all so won't even bother to click on the link (sorry, I know that's not very grown up but I don't feel grown up today).

harrigran Sun 25-Oct-15 12:14:43

I read it jingl and agree with Amis. There was a very funny cartoon in yesterday's Times.

JamJar1 Sun 25-Oct-15 12:23:23

Apparently...off tangent but one nice thing, Martin Amis was very kind to his stepmother, Elizabeth Jane Howard, when she was very elderly and frail.
I've read EJH's books but not a single Kingsley or Martin Amis book. blush

Ana Sun 25-Oct-15 12:26:47

I read Lucky Jim years ago...

annodomini Sun 25-Oct-15 12:45:56

He was a pupil at Swansea Grammar School then - when the family moved to Cambridge - at Cambridgeshire High School for Boys, followed by a short spell at Westminster School. So not really in a position to pour educational scorn on Corbyn although Amis. Does a First in English at Oxford entitle him to be an intellectual snob? I did try one of his books (Times Arrow, I seem to remember) but couldn't get into it. But then I didn't get a First in English. At least his father's books are readable, particularly Lucky Jim.

annodomini Sun 25-Oct-15 12:46:54

Seem to have an unfinished sentence there! 'Although Amis.....What?'

durhamjen Sun 25-Oct-15 13:24:27

Are you asking us to guess, anno?

JessM Sun 25-Oct-15 13:54:04

Seem to remember Amis was in a "progressive" boarding school for a while with a friend of mine when he was a sixth former as well. He had a disrupted childhood due to his fathers shenanigans. His sister was in my primary school and appeared to our eyes neglected and uncared for. He might have been there as well possibly. Probably did not hamper his application Oxford that his father was the literary mega-star of his generation.

durhamjen Sun 25-Oct-15 14:16:45

I wonder what Jeremy Corbyn thinks of Martin Amis? Probably too polite to say.
Apparently Simon Danczuk is going to challenge Corbyn if Labour do not do well in May's elections. Danczuk always seems to me to attack Corbyn more than the tories do.

annodomini Sun 25-Oct-15 14:20:35

Maybe someone can read my mind, durhamjen. Not sure I can.

JessM Sun 25-Oct-15 16:07:18

I think Danczuk was been a loose cannon in the party long before Corbyn became a household name.

durhamjen Sun 25-Oct-15 17:06:17

I had heard of Corbyn, but not of Danczuk before all this. Maybe he thinks if Corbyn can do it, so can he, but I doubt if the Labour Party would vote for a backbencher twice.

rosesarered Sun 25-Oct-15 17:12:07

I don't think much of Corbyn, but don't think much of Martin Amis either.