Gransnet forums

News & politics

The police want to see your entire internet history

(70 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 30-Oct-15 21:15:12

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-to-be-given-powers-to-view-everyones-entire-internet-history-a6714581.html

Following me on GN will keep them enthralled for hours grin

rosequartz Sat 31-Oct-15 00:15:37

Do you think it will be noticed that I called Cameron and Osborne liars on another thread?
Who's that knocking at my door, have I heard that knock before

rosequartz Sat 31-Oct-15 00:16:48

Containing a letter from a mother sent to the government about radicalising children in nursery.
Well, I'm not going to open it in case they come knocking on my door.

[thlmoon]

rosequartz Sat 31-Oct-15 00:17:15

Oh! No Hallowe'en moon

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-15 18:12:13

They will probably die of boredom before they reach the end of the first month.

durhamjen Sat 31-Oct-15 23:50:55

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/31/theresa-may-backtracks-on-internet-snooping

Another government climb-down. Must be getting into double figures now.
If they carry on like this, we'll have a Labour manifesto with a Tory government.

Leticia Sun 01-Nov-15 07:13:01

I love that letter durhamjen!

whitewave Sun 01-Nov-15 10:00:17

Be interesting to see what the Tories have actually achieved in this and last office, as well as what they have shelved/dropped

rascal Sun 01-Nov-15 10:10:44

Oh Indiana I had a laugh at what you said! grin

trisher Sun 01-Nov-15 10:35:48

Thanks for the letter and the comments-gave me a good laugh!
I think that if a 15 year old can hack into talktalk won't some enterprising youngster develop a way of hiding/masking their histories? Which will only leave us oldies to look at!

minimo Sun 01-Nov-15 12:46:45

Update on this today www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34691956

AlgeswifeVal Mon 02-Nov-15 11:29:00

Well said Petra... Agree entirely. ( about 20 posts up)

Nonnie Mon 02-Nov-15 11:44:53

I believe that around 20 hackers knew about the Talk Talk website being vulnerable and shared the info so a lot more are going to be pulled in. I imagine they are hoping their names will be shared so they can be offered really good jobs in IT.

Quite happy for anyone to check out my laptop, Kindle and phone although I must have clicked on something I didn't intend to a couple of weeks ago because what I saw was not at all to my taste!

I would happily carry and identity card too.

RAF Mon 02-Nov-15 12:20:13

It is important to bear in mind those who do need to hide their details - the abused wives, (and husbands), stalkers victims, those fleeing from forced marriages, those under police protection etc. Search engines can identify in seconds what it would take weeks to do manually. Allowing all police officers, all civil servants, or all NHS workers access to national databases will allow the rogue employees the ability to track down their victims, it has happened already, and this will make it easier. I would feel more reassured if the only access was after judicial review, rather than the home secretary of the day, who hasn't time to look at all cases thoroughly.

The 'Hunted' programme recently showed how easy it is already to find anyone and track them, I would like to see evidence that the proposed new law actually is needed.

Essentail reading - The Circle by Dave Eggars, it will frighten you! www.amazon.co.uk/Circle-Dave-Eggers/dp/0804172293

Greyduster Mon 02-Nov-15 12:23:19

I am another who would be happy to carry an identity card; having been required to do so on many occasions in the past I think it makes perfect sense. Of course it would give the likes of Shami Chakrabhati something else to get over-excited about, but frankly the arguments I've heard for not having them don't hold water for me. As for Internet surveillance, as has been said, most of the population would have little need to be concerned anyway. If they looked at mine, they'd learn a lot about flyfishing and the Napoleonic Wars and not much else!

friends123 Mon 02-Nov-15 12:35:45

Who pays? Far better employed in creating healthy communities-solo clubs,etc.

soontobe Mon 02-Nov-15 12:42:56

The 'Hunted' programme recently showed how easy it is already to find anyone and track them, I would like to see evidence that the proposed new law actually is needed.

Isnt terrorist attacks, IS, and terrorist attacks that are thwarted, enough evidence? confused

RAF Mon 02-Nov-15 13:32:10

The poiint is that they have been thwarted with the surveillance we already have. It is very easy to frighten the public by saying we need to keep track of every aspect of your lives or there will be a terrorist attack. But where is the proof that these new laws giving sweeping powers to the State that you can never take back will actually make a substantial difference compared to the surveillance we have now?

Devorgilla Mon 02-Nov-15 16:03:58

Actually I feel irritated with myself for being flippant about this with my first post. It is true that there is nothing on my sites that would get them excited and I appreciate their need to monitor certain activities. I am also pretty sure there will be triggers that set off the alarms as another poster suggested which leaves most of us alone. But I heard an MP on the Marr show pointing out that all information would be retained for 12 months and would contain your personal and financial information and that this could leave everyone open to fraudulent activity. The quality and honesty of the personnel employed to monitor the site would be crucial here. Also, as a war baby, I do believe strongly in the right of citizens to go about their own country without 'let or hinderance' provided they are obeying the law. I vividly remember the Pathe News at the cinema showing the inmates coming out of the concentration camps with their identification classification sewn to their clothing. For me it is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde situation. No matter what system is set up it will never be perfect and someone will crack it. Human beings being vigilant in their neighbourhood and beyond are perhaps still the best information system going. Knowledge is power but for whom? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

RAF Mon 02-Nov-15 16:49:32

In the not too distant future it won't be sewn to your clothing, but downloaded to the microchip inserted at birth under your skin, containing all your medical, personal, employment and financial hsitory. The technology is already available, just awaiting acceptance by future generations. Scanners will read and track where you go, and no-one will think anything of it. But I couldn't live like that, and if makiing a fuss can delay it a bit, I'm all for protestiing! smile

Devorgilla Mon 02-Nov-15 17:06:45

I would be on the barricades alongside you RAF.

soontobe Mon 02-Nov-15 17:11:12

RAF. Why cant the powers be taken back?

In the not too distant future it won't be sewn to your clothing, but downloaded to the microchip inserted at birth under your skin, containing all your medical, personal, employment and financial hsitory

Where are you getting this information from?

rosesarered Mon 02-Nov-15 18:59:59

Sci fi books?

Ana Mon 02-Nov-15 19:02:03

That's what I thought too, roses! grin

rosesarered Mon 02-Nov-15 19:02:45

I think we will all have to get used to a certain amount of 'snooping' regarding the Internet.So much crime potential on it.
my own browsing history features a lot of Hotter, M&S, and Lakeland.

Ana Mon 02-Nov-15 19:07:38

Hmm...the first two could arouse suspicion...grin