Gransnet forums

News & politics

pacifists/conscienti ous objectors/Jeremy Corbyn

(240 Posts)
soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 08:14:07

I dont get it.

Would they do self defence or not?
Would they defend a neighbour or not?
Would they defend somone at the end of their street that they did not know very well, or not?
Would they defend someone who they didnt know who lived in the next town, who they came across that needed defending?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34832023

Or is it a case of, they are not happy about it, but would do it if they had to?

soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 12:46:05

I think I am getting your point M0nica?

whitewave, I cannot find anything on google about JC would have joined in WW2. Have you got a link please?

vq, I agree with you about fear.
How can you say what he would and wouldn't do at some point in the future?
But that is a big point. I for 1 dont follow someone who doesnt know himself where he is going.

rosequartz Tue 17-Nov-15 12:57:25

Most of us want peace and would pray (in our different ways, even if we are not religious) for that.

The question is: if a pacificist had the chance to kill one dangerous person in order to save hundreds or thousands of innocent people, including children, would he or she do it? If he or she decided they could not would they have the deaths of all those other people on their conscience?

rosequartz Tue 17-Nov-15 12:58:57

And what better way to radicalise them than to drop bombs on their families, homes and cities.

But many are 'home-grown' and no-one is bombing their families in Europe. It is other Muslims who are bombing them in the Middle East too.

vampirequeen Tue 17-Nov-15 13:13:37

Soontobe....would you follow someone who's opinions are set in stone rather than someone who makes a decision based on the current facts. Something might work for a particular set of circumstances and be disastrous in another.

If being reflective and considering all options is vacillating then I'll follow the vacillator.

soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 13:20:35

He is not merely reflective. He literally does not know his own mind. I suspect he needs many many years to be able to do that.

All people make some decisions based on current facts.

FarNorth Tue 17-Nov-15 13:22:59

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Nov-15 13:26:02

D'you reckon he's got many many years soon? grin

rosequartz Tue 17-Nov-15 13:28:34

I suspect he needs many many years to be able to do that.

grin

rosequartz Tue 17-Nov-15 13:30:15

As far as I'm concerned you can shout at Jenni Murray all you like apricot grin
I just don't turn her on in the first place (or read any of her articles)
annoying woman

rosequartz Tue 17-Nov-15 13:30:40

Wrong thread!! blush

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Nov-15 13:31:54

he he he he !!!!!!! grin grin grin

M0nica Tue 17-Nov-15 13:32:49

I do not understand why everyone is so rude about Jeremy Corbyn. He strikes me as delightful kind and thoughtful man, everyone's ideal of a dotty old uncle, always busy in the shed making things and not really connected to the outside world. I am sure if I met him I would like him, and agree with many of his views.

However whether such a nice man is capable of leading a country, which punches well above its weight in many international spheres, is another question and whether he would be capable of making the very hard and difficult decisions that need to be made as Prime Minister of this country at a time when we are dealing with guerilla warfare waged as it has never been waged before, is yet another question. There are times when we have to admit that the nicest of people are, nevertheless, not fit for the job.

rosequartz Tue 17-Nov-15 13:36:37

I would agree with your first paragraph MOnica except that no dotty uncle I know has such dubious friends.
Which is probably why he is so hesitant when he is talking about using force against terrorists.

I still find that very odd - to welcome people who you know have killed children .....

grabba Tue 17-Nov-15 13:37:55

Agree that this blanket reporting is inflamitory. We don't need to know every thought that crosses the mind of leaders or whoever. People don't seem to realise that JC didn't come down in the last shower and is held in high regard

soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 13:52:03

Even if that is true about the arms FarNorth, the Government and media do not make some people become radical islamists if that is the right phrase.

grabba. But it is his own words that most people object to!

FarNorth Tue 17-Nov-15 13:55:21

Governments who are bombing your country are likely to make you a bit annoyed, maybe annoyed enough to retaliate in an 'extremist' way.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Nov-15 13:59:34

Yeah, well. They've already done that haven't they? Or at least a neighbouring country. And others.

Monica I agree about JC. He does look like everyone's favourite uncle. Appearances can be deceptive though. He's probably a boring old, dyed-in-the-wool, extreme leftie.

soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 14:00:50

I see your point.

But in the case of IS, they are being taught a different version of the Koran.

And Germany in WW2 wanted world domination.

So that doesnt apply in these cases in my opinion.

gillybob Tue 17-Nov-15 14:07:26

I don't have "an axe to grind" regarding my sister in the slightest Eloethan confused. I agree that many ( but not most) public sector workers do a stressful job. Just like many private sector workers do. My point is that she was totally non political and now views JC as the hero of the hour. God help us all.

Ana Tue 17-Nov-15 15:33:04

Don't you think IS want world domination then, soon?

soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 15:54:56

Well I didnt think they did, but if others tell me otherwise, then I would take that on board.

Mauraann Tue 17-Nov-15 16:22:43

VQ.....Like Neville Chamberlain did in 1938!!!

vampirequeen Tue 17-Nov-15 16:51:04

At which point did I talk about appeasement. Like many you seem to lack any understanding regarding the policy of appeasement. In 1938 Britain was in no way ready to go to war. Chamberlain bought the country time to re-arm and prepare. Without that time it's highly likely that we would now be a satellite country of a NAZI led Greater Germany. The USA wouldn't have entered the war in Europe because it wouldn't have been in their interest to. Hitler would have been free to turn all his attention on Russia and his scientists would have had time to perfect the atom bomb which he would have had no hesitation of dropping on Moscow.

A lot of you are writing off JC because of the way he looks and the fact that he won't be drawn into stark declarations of revenge. Any actions he might or might not take are hypothetical so what's the point of him pontificating.

Do you really think Dave and his chums are going to keep you safe using bombing campaigns? A bomb may kill a few terrorists but how many innocents will die with them. We say that we abhor what's happening to the Yazidi slave women. Well some of those women will be in the camps and villages with the terrorists and will be killed. Kill the terrorists by all means but killing innocents is never acceptable. If you want to kill the terrorists then find another way.

soontobe Tue 17-Nov-15 17:06:39

Any actions he might or might not take are hypothetical so what's the point of him pontificating.

Because he is a leader.

If you want to kill the terrorists then find another way.

You dont know of another way, and neither does anyone else it seems.

Sometimes in life, choices are between a worse, or a worser way.

loopylou Tue 17-Nov-15 17:12:10

'Jeremy Corbyn says he supports any "strictly necessary force" needed to protect the UK in a terrorist attack' according to the BBC website so he's starting to change his stance!
It seems he is getting a bashing from Labour MPs who don't think he's right, so perhaps there's hope after all.