Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andrew Neil talking about jihadist losers

(171 Posts)
gillybob Fri 20-Nov-15 12:39:50

Well said that man !

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/andrew-neil-delivers-best-opening-address-ever-to-jihadist-losers-about-futility-of-isis-terror-a6741496.html

rosesarered Fri 20-Nov-15 12:45:13

Very good!

gillybob Fri 20-Nov-15 12:46:29

I think he has said everything that I am thinking.

nigglynellie Fri 20-Nov-15 12:56:45

And so say all of us. These evil swine will eventually be history, Paris, London, New York, Berlin and dozens of cities will shine as brightly as they always have.

Stansgran Fri 20-Nov-15 13:50:30

But were any jihadists listening? They can only hear their own voices .

POGS Fri 20-Nov-15 14:54:25

I watched it last night and I agreed with him too.

JamJar1 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:12:39

This needs to be the message. My heart sank when so many in the media, television and print, were talking of the Paris "mastermind" behind the attacks. I don't think it takes a mastermind to mow down defenceless people caught or trapped unawares by someone with a Kalashnikov.
It's often mentioned Isis use Twitter, Facebook,they read all the papers online, they are sometimes handed propaganda to them on a plate by the likes of, The Daily Mail, The Sun, Express and Daily Mirror.

granjura Fri 20-Nov-15 15:14:06

Putting things in perspective:

Let say there is a terror cell in the UK consisting of 5 men.

There are three million (approx.) Muslims in the UK, more if you count kids.

5/3000000 = 0.000 0017%.

Now, how many of the 3 million do you believe are exposed to the 5 bad ones and know them particularly well? well, lets say these particular terrorists are popular guys, so 20.

20/2,999,995 = 0.000 06 % of muslims exposed to a terror cell.

Now, factor in the fact that the 5 bad ones will do everything they can to hide their intentions. they don't tell anyone they will kill people, nor do they broadcast it to the Muslim community. The chance of actually discovering genuine terrorists is proportional to their presence in the wider community. ie, 0.000 000 17%.

So, out of 3,000,000, you want 0.000 06% to help you find 0.000 0017%, with a 0.000 0017% chance of being successful?

If we assume they are able to hide their intentions from half of these 20 (which in turn, makes them very bad at their purpose, but lets assume they are popular but incompetent), that means there is at most, 10 people, in 2,999,995. Or, 0.000 003%.

So, these 0.000 003% are supposed to help find 0.000 0017%, with a 0.000 0017% success possibility?

If the british government, with thousands of analysts, can read every text message, scrutinise every mb of data, piggy-back every CCTV camera, listen in to every phone call, and observe thousands simultaneously, and they still cant find them, what chance does Amjad from the corner shop have?

(not my analysis, but from a friend) - in response to the attacks on 'moderate' Muslims 'not doing anything')

Jane10 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:21:18

Wowee! I was stunned when I heard Andrew Neils eloquent outburst. Thank God we have the freedom to speak in this way in our country -there are many where this would never be allowed. It was brave of him too. I just hope he doesn't become a target for these ungodly people.

JamJar1 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:25:09

But what in your last post has anything to do with the OP granjura?
Threads do wander down interesting paths but this one has only just started out on it's journey.

granjura Fri 20-Nov-15 15:37:04

Well we are talking about jihadists- so it is all linked, somehow. And now the Huffington Posts- on how the leader didn't seem to be much a a Muslim anyhow!

The ex-wife of Paris bomber Ibrahim Abdeslam has told how he spent his days smoking cannabis and drinking alcohol, as reports suggest the terror gang behind Friday's murder spree may have been high on a cocktail of drugs.

Naima said her former husband smoked "an alarming amount of joints, at least three or four a day", never went to a mosque, and served two prison sentences for theft.

The mastermind of the attacks, Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who was thought to be the target of raids across Paris on Wednesday, also did not attend a mosque, according to his sister Yasmina.

Abaaoud, a Belgian national, was said to have briefly studied at an exclusive Catholic school, before either dropping out or getting expelled and drifting into a life of thievery and drugs, The Independent reported.

thatbags Fri 20-Nov-15 15:44:28

This is the best response I've heard to blether about decent muslims. Do listen. It is superb. In short, decent muslims are irrelevant, just as decent Germans were under Hitler, and decent Cambodians under Pol Pot. Do listen.

POGS Fri 20-Nov-15 15:48:45

I have seen no 'attacking' of Muslims, quite the opposite. Are you posting in response to the OP and what Andrew Neill said or generalising.

I don't follow the point 'your friend' is raising. Is it don't worry. Is it the numbers of terrorists are so few only a few people would be killed out of the population.? Is it Mr. Amjad from the corner shop is impotent so why would he feel he should speak up.

As for the government it wants the capability to do as you say but they are battling with the liberalism and human rights lobby that is pushing against the government getting the Investigatory Powers Bill through Parliament.

What 'attacks' have you or your friend witnessed so that I can understand why you feel/know this is happening/happened because so far I have only heard sensible debate discussion as to the reasonable view the Muslim community have a major role to play. The emphasis is on the Muslim community because the extremist are Muslim , not as some to feel due to racism/xenophobia , it is merely a fact.

thatbags Fri 20-Nov-15 15:52:52

Well said, pogs. Do listen to the thing I linked to (it's just a few minutes). You'll like it.

JamJar1 Fri 20-Nov-15 16:01:33

thatbags thank you for posting the link, well worth clicking on to.

POGS Fri 20-Nov-15 16:07:02

Bags

I have just watched it.

I agree with what she said , she knew her onions didn't she and I do not believe she was 'attacking' the questioner , but the pure irony of the clip and what she meant will be viewed that way by some for sure.

Ana Fri 20-Nov-15 16:13:12

Haven't we had this clip on another thread? Is it the same one?

(not complaining, just getting confused...)

Alea Fri 20-Nov-15 16:16:22

Brilliant Andrew Neill, and well done the Beeb, who can be a bit lily livered, for not pulling the plug on him.
He has articulated what we are all thinking in a fluent, lucid and entirely frank way.
Like wise thatbags's link, again, a refreshing change from either "doom and gloom " or PC flannel.
No I do not think the only good Muslim . Is a dead Muslim, unlike those who thought the only good German was a dead German, but it is good to be able to give expression to anger as well as grief.
And no, I don't follow the relevance of Gj's posts, but they presumably reflect her opinions.

soontobe Fri 20-Nov-15 16:24:49

Yes Ana, same one.

POGS Fri 20-Nov-15 16:33:53

So good she said it twice then. Say it again and again for me.

Ana Fri 20-Nov-15 16:36:42

Thanks soon.

thatbags Fri 20-Nov-15 16:38:02

I don't think such things can be said often enough at the moment.

Indinana Fri 20-Nov-15 16:38:39

Well said indeed, Andrew Neil. He speaks for us all and I for one am grateful to him for doing so with such eloquence.
And thanks thatbags for the link. Quite simply, brilliant.

merlotgran Fri 20-Nov-15 16:56:16

Thanks for the link, bags. It needed saying.

I had steam coming out my ears when a man rang into Jeremy Vine at lunchtime suggesting that Andrew Neil's outburst was ill advised because we must temper inflammatory opinions for fear of upsetting IS making things worse.

He even used Lee Rigby's murder as an example of what might happen. angry

granjura Fri 20-Nov-15 19:20:41

My 'opinions' ??? The point of those 2 posts is that, as much as I did admire Andrew Neil's tirade- and found it really impressive and positive- there are so many unknowns out there- and no true facts to hold on to. The number of jihadists is still, whatever some say, a tiny % of Muslims in the world, and are from very specific regions. And new information today indicates that their leader was a) not a practising Muslim at all, a ling-term criminal and drug user. That is not an 'opinion' but new and very relevant information which changes a lot of perceptions and opinions voiced since the attacks.