Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Gransnet be used as a political platform?

(106 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Nov-15 09:55:25

Is it right that a poster can come on here with the sole purpose of influencing major government decisions, bearing in mind that the forums are probably read and used by many many more people than actually post?

I am thinking of posts that give links to online petitions which will probably be used by those of a particular political persuasion. I am not thinking of our usual Gransnet discussions.

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-15 23:25:43

soon, yes all parties can choose free votes or party line , MP's can choose to vote with or against their party line, there have been members of Tory, labour and Libs who have not adhered to party lines so labour no different

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 00:22:16

This time last year there was a thread about Nepal and its religious slaughter festival.
Lots of people signed a petition to stop the slaughter of thousands of animals in a day. I am sure some on here said they had signed it.

The Gadhimai Temple Trust has said it would no longer do it, and has apologised for doing it in the past.
It was a political action which did a lot of good, and it was highlighted on here.
What's wrong with that?

Tegan Sun 29-Nov-15 00:32:28

I'd forgotten about that jen. Good to hear that it's been stopped.

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 00:44:58

An advantage of being a vegetarian. It was in Viva! Life magazine.
I think it was nightowl who started the thread, so she'll be pleased, too.

granjura Sun 29-Nov-15 09:34:19

No guessing involved jingl- you told us yesterday quite clearly:

'Bored now.'