Gransnet forums

News & politics

Zika Virus

(8 Posts)
POGS Fri 22-Jan-16 22:45:00

This is a nasty, nasty decease/virus isn't it.

I watched a very good report on the Zika Virus on Russia Today a few days ago and it was heartbreaking seeing all the lovely young mothers with sadness in their eyes looking at their deformed little babies faces.

Zika Virus is prevalent in Brazil but steadily on the move into other countries and reports are coming in on a regular basisof it's spread. It is caused by a mosquito bite and pregnant woman are giving birth to babies with microcephaly (brain damage), horrid. Last year alone over 84.00 babies were born with microcephaly in Brazil alone ! There is NO vaccination at the moment .

I am surprised that the World Health Organization hasn't given travel guidance to pregnant women! Maybe it has but I think any GN who has family or friends travelling to countries such as Brazil, Columbia, Al Salvador, Haiti, Mexico , Honduras and Panama should advise them to check before travelling, intact check full stop if pregnant.

rosesarered Fri 22-Jan-16 22:48:00

Horrid! Not heard about this, but good to put a post on here POGS so news of this will spread, if anyone has a pregnant relative thinking of travelling to one of those countries.

merlotgran Fri 22-Jan-16 22:48:08

How many people are going to be flocking to Brazil for the Olympics? hmm

POGS Fri 22-Jan-16 22:58:24

Merlot

This was mentioned as they are unsure if sexual activity can spread the virus also. Nightmare.

There is a UK based company called Intrexon/Cambridge who have teamed up with the Brazilian Authorities to introduce ' genetically modified sterile mosquito's ' in the hope they will invade the mosquito population and assist in the spread to humans.

Indinana Fri 22-Jan-16 23:01:37

The worst of it is that the particular species of mosquito that are spreading this virus are 'daytime biters', so sleeping under a good mosquito net at night is no protection. People are being advised to completely cover up to protect themselves.
Heartbreaking images on Sky News this morning, truly upsetting.

POGS Sun 24-Jan-16 13:36:00

I have brought this thread back for viewing , not because of the lack of interest but genuinely to inform GN's to be alert to this problem.

America I believe has now declared travel warnings to 20 countries . The UK must be more alert to this, so little coverage in my opinion, for what it's worth.

If you know of any pregnant women travelling abroad they need to be made aware of the Zika virus and it's possible issues regarding their welfare.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 24-Jan-16 19:05:42

There was a little girl with microcephaly who used to go to the Mother and Toddler group I went to with the DC. It was heartbreaking to watch how she failed to develop at the same rate as her contemporaries, and although it was obvious to most of us that her head was small and that she was falling behind, her poor mother took a long time to admit it to herself. I feel so sorry for all these unfortunate families in South America - it reminds me of the thalidomide disaster.

POGS Mon 01-Feb-16 23:04:27

Re my OP ' at last ' the World Health Organisation has woken up to the fact the Zika Virus ' is ' an international threat .

Should have been announced weeks ago. angry