Gransnet forums

News & politics

Possible contentious poster launched by the Remain Campaign to galvanise the black vote

(63 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 27-May-16 10:34:35

I don't know how many of you have seen the poster in which an elderly and very serene Indian lady wearing a sari is sitting on one end of a seesaw facing a scary looking, snarling skinhead posed in an aggressive finger jabbing stance. Could the implication be that Brexiteers are white racists sad. There is a supposition from some on the remain side that anyone wishing to leave must be white, which is contrary to some of the televised debates I have seen where black and Asian voters have voiced their voting intentions and they do not always lie with the remain campaign. I watched the opening of QT last night and the black lady on the panel made it clear that she was a Brexiteer. The implied message on the poster seems to be therefore that black people should vote to remain, if not, they could be aligning themselves with a bunch of nasty white racists. Personally I haven't seen anyone dressed in that skinhead style circa 1970s and 1980s for a long while. However, maybe I'm looking it from the wrong point of view possibly the message is more ambiguous, given that the nasty racist skinhead is far more prolific in Eastern Europe, could the poster be trying to imply "vote in" and we will be bedfellows with a rising tide of right wing nationalism which is the subject of another thread on GN. Anyone have an opinion on this poster?

Jalima Mon 30-May-16 10:19:05

I don't think so, jingls

I see a sweet old Asian lady, too, not representative of all Asians. The ones I know are savvy enough to vote.

All I was saying was that to find out if a situation such as this is racist would be to reverse the situation and ask yourself if it would offend and be against the law; purely a technical exercise, not an emotional one.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 30-May-16 11:49:15

Yeah, but you shouldn't confine everything to technicalities. There should be room for actual thinking.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 30-May-16 11:51:24

Actually, I think a picture showing a little old lady aggressively jabbing a finger at a National Front-ite, would be roundly applauded. grin

nigglynellie Mon 30-May-16 14:44:28

Of course it would be racist the other way round - no doubt about it. The portrayal of an elderly white lady being harangued by a tough beefy black man, would be perceived as racist provoking an outcry. Actually both are racist if we're honest, on the assumption that all people who look like the white guy are violent and aggressive, and a similarly portrayed black man would be the same. Not necessarily as you should never judge a book by its cover.

daphnedill Mon 30-May-16 15:15:09

Who's assuming that all white guys are violent and aggressive?

Why only make a distinction on race/skin colour?

Why not assume the poster is saying all males are violent or all elderly females are serene?

The poster is aimed at those members of ethnic minorities groups who aren't registered to vote. Anybody who followed the London Mayor election will have seen many racist slurs. Presumably Saatchi and Saatchi did some research before designing the poster, so they will have taken into account the perceptions of those who don't register to vote. It would be interesting to hear their rationale.

Is there any evidence that white people don't vote, because they're intimidated by big, beefy black men?

nigglynellie Mon 30-May-16 15:26:22

Of course not, but is there any evidence that asian ladys don't vote because of aggressive white skinheads? They're more likely to be intimidated by their own menfolk.

TerriBull Mon 30-May-16 15:33:17

There is some evidence, particularly regarding the controversy surrounding the ousted Mayor of Tower Hamlets, that some Asian voters are coerced into voting in a certain way.

daphnedill Mon 30-May-16 15:39:42

Indeed they might be, but there IS evidence Asians are bullied by aggressive whites.

This is an example:

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/03/04/britain-first-mosque-protest-video_n_9382658.html

In any case, Saatchi and Saatchi claim the poster isn't about race, but democracy. Personally, I don't think knuckle dragging thugs should have a vote, but they do and tend to exercise their right to vote, even if Paul Golding, Britain First's leader, turned his back on Sadiq Khan during the declaration of Khan's win in the London Mayor election. So much for believing in democracy - ha!

So maybe the poster is about everybody having a vote, even the lowest common denominators in society.

Jalima Mon 30-May-16 18:15:31

In fact, an elderly Asian lady could look at the poster and think 'if I go out to vote I may be harassed by a white thug like that' and decide not to go.

As I said previously, I think the poster is a mistake and does not portray its message with any clarity, whatever the message is - it seems to be different things to different people, so it has failed in its purpose.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 30-May-16 18:31:05

But nn elderly white women don't get harangued by beefy black men. Not in the way any Muslim women are likely to be insulted by National Front type white yobs.

It's not racist, simply because the intent to be racist is very plainly not there. The illustration is being used for a purpos. A good purpose at that.

daphnedill Mon 30-May-16 19:18:29

Nobody will know whether it's failed in its main purpose until anybody has any idea whether it increased the number of BAME voters.

I would say it's at least partially succeeded, because it's made people think and talk, which is the aim of this kind of advertising.

granjura Mon 30-May-16 19:30:20

Great post and spot on, jingl.