Gransnet forums

News & politics

As the hysterical left weep into their lattes...

(508 Posts)
thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 06:45:30

Well said, Libby Purves and Peter Tatchell! Tatchell is quoted as saying "The left must listen to Brexit supporters and their concerns. Very wrong to dismiss them all as racists and xenophobes". Of those anguished 'hysterical lefties': "many of them mean well [ouch!] yet elitism erupted like a poisoned boil". Superb!

Elitism. The other thing the hysterical left whine about when they're not too busy calling anyone who doesn't agree with them a bigot. Yes. Quite. In spite of my high level of education, and my husband's, we both "get it" in a way that many with similar backgrounds don't seem to. Perhaps we still feel a connect to those of our families who were at the runt end of society only two generations ago. Perhaps we understand better the effect of "arrogant, incompetent Brussels institutions, and the decades when governments neglected inequality".

Purves does not skim over actual racism at all, but she says quite rightly that the vast majority of people are not racists or xenophobes. She's right.

Thank you, Libby Purves.

Washerwoman Tue 13-Sep-16 14:43:16

So sorry Amt.how sad for you.Some very vigorous discussions amongst family and friends here in the immediate aftermath the Ref.DH ,myself and one DD and partner voted Leave,and 2 other DDS Remain. Amongst friends a mixed vote ,but all still getting good on and respecting each other,fortunately.Indeed the DD who was the most upset with the vote initially has almost done an about turn.She got increasing fed up with the 'hysterical' response on Facebook, Twitter etc.(her words)from her peer group,and one friend in particular who posted some very patronising and lecturing comments.Everyone I associate with on a regular basis seems to be taking the attitude that it's very early days,Leave or Remain there were issues we needed to address as a nation .And that some sort of a shake up,within or out of the EU and in politics in general was overdue.With a terminally ill family member ,only in her late 50s,we all feel life's too short for acrimonious discussions about anything tbh.

Grannyknot Tue 13-Sep-16 12:38:08

amt that is so sad.

We had heated discussions with our adult children (despite all of us voting remain) because my OH felt that the EU needed a big shake up, but wasn't sure that voting out was the answer.

So the vigorous debate continues, but with no hard feelings.

amt101 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:27:27

Hello everyone,
Is anyone still being shunned by friends/relatives for the way they voted? My older daughter is still annoyed with me to the extent that she thinks we have nothing in common and can see no way back for us.

granjura Mon 25-Jul-16 11:36:21

So much for him saying straight after Brexit that the job was done, and he wanted his life back and spend more time with his long suffering family. And immediately off his goes to the USA- probably handsomely paid to do so. I was glad to hear his say that Trump's anti-Muslim and ridiculous rhetoric about Muslims made him feel very uncomfortable- first sensible thing he has said for a very long time.

Seasidenana Mon 25-Jul-16 10:15:08

I really think Libby Purves should be setting an example rather than using offensive and divisive language in the media. I would like to see respectful language used about people of different faiths or political beliefs. Let's hear more uniting language from journalists as the lovely Jo Cox tried to say. This country does not feel a very friendly place to be right now.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 24-Jul-16 23:02:19

I think it would be better for all concerned if Nigel Farage retired from public life. While he continues to speak to the mainstream media with global coverage, he's perceived as the Donald Trump of the UK and that is a bad thing. Many outside the UK don't realise his politics were about a single issue. Donald Trump is a million times more dangerous than Nigel Farage could ever be and the sooner people stop likening them, the better.

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 21:52:31

sorry:
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nigel-farage-donald-trump-republican-convention-muslims-us-election-2016-a7153206.html

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 21:51:38

Farage on Trump - latest:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nigel-farage-donald-trump-republican-convention-muslims-us-election-2016-a7153206.html
Nigel Farage says Donald Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric makes him 'very uncomfortable'

durhamjen Sun 24-Jul-16 12:46:57

How do you know what most Brexiters think of Trump, Anya?

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 12:43:45

Yes I absolutely agree, with regard Trump. Farage is out of the same stable, as is Penn and a number of other right wing political leaders in Europe.

Anya Sun 24-Jul-16 12:40:33

OK I can see that point of view and agree to some extent WW but I feel that the motives behind the rise of Trump is far more sinister than that, especially from the 'redneck' element of American society, and from the middle classes who are comparatively well off and showing ill-disguised racism and hated of poor blacks and Hispanics.
He is a hateful character and dispised by most Brexiters believe me.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 12:39:05

One other thing that I would like to add. Please don't be under the allusion that I criticise those who voted the way they did because of the situation in which they find themselves. Being poor in America must be quite dreadful, and not a lot better here except at the moment we do have a safety net.

However that doesn't mean that I would agree with Bre xit - I don't. At the moment I can never see that I ever would be pursuaded that it is the better option, and the longer this goes on the more alarmed I am at the end result.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 12:31:30

anya thank you for your reply. Well I think you will find that the "experts" (I know it isn't fashionable to talk of them at the moment) agree that the voting population is extremely disallusioned with the political world and what they see as elite. In particular the working class and those who haven't benefited from the global economy.

The result is that they are voting in particular to "punish" what they see as those politicians who have not supported them in the times of austerity etc. So in the UK Brexit benefited from this disallusionment and clearly exploited this problem in their pre-referendum rhetoric, and exactly the same is happening in the States. The poor have been badly hit, they are blaming the political elite and are supporting Trump. Particularly the white working class man.

Anya Sun 24-Jul-16 12:29:21

Cringeworthy is such a useful word is it not?

granjura Sun 24-Jul-16 12:20:30

Well that is better put- why not have done so the first time ?

Certainly I can totally understand how the frustration ande disbelief of what happened during and after the campaign, and the result- have made people so passionate that at times posts may have seemed not a 'balanced' (not sure that is the right word, but it will have to do) from many posters on both sides.

Anya Sun 24-Jul-16 12:09:58

Apologies for typos... using small keypad on mobile.

Anya Sun 24-Jul-16 11:58:16

Sorry WW for not replying but I've been out and just back now. Let me explain. By 'recent' I meant post Brexit and a little while before.

I often read your posts before the tone changed somewhat and considered them well thought-out and measured. Even if I disagreed without I liked the rationality if your arguments and would often respond positively to them. This was in contrast to some others who's posts I prefer to skip over or ignore as they lack ....well let's not go there.
I was especially impressed with the research you did into the health care offered by other countries and how you set out the facts and contrasted and compared the services provided.
But it seems to me the tone and quality of your posts altered when the referendum was under discussion and after the result.
I'll give you just one example and that is the suggestion that those who voted for Brexit had commonality with Trump supporters.
I hope that explains my post but if not then ok just let it pass.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 10:43:02

Well Trump certainly knows the profile, you can tell that by his rhetoric.

granjura Sun 24-Jul-16 10:40:37

Agreed Jalima- and yet- statistics do give an overall picture no anecdotal personal experience can give. Let's get away from Brexit here, and turn to the Trump situation. Are you really telling me there is no profile of the 'typical' Trump voter? Do they really come from a very wide section of the population? Yes, there are some Trump voters with Degrees (I know some personally btw)- but there is definitely a profile there. Ignoring it would be disingenuous, really.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 10:00:26

Let's all agree to move on.
I have said my bit to Anya, she has not chosen to reply, well the ball is her court and she has clearly not chosen to pick it up and run with it. I therefore have concluded that she didn't mean what she said, so have now chosen to forget it.

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 09:54:00

Oooer - this sounds like a game of top trumps (lol) - my family / friends are better qualified/ captains of industry etc. Than yours and voted leave...anecdotal or what . Not exactly a social scientific survey, but some people wouldn't recognise that if it was staring them in the face, because they happen to know someone who doesn't fit the generalised profiles.
rather a rude post suzied and not at all what was said or meant as I was just trying to explain that perhaps one should not stereotype categorise voters. It was certainly not a game of trumps as you put it and certainly more than some one.
I think whitewave knows what I meant and I thought we had agreed to blame the use of semantics rather than anything else.

granjura Sun 24-Jul-16 09:43:11

Anya, your personal attacks are just so unpleasant and uncalled for sad

suzied Sun 24-Jul-16 09:02:34

Oooer - this sounds like a game of top trumps (lol) - my family / friends are better qualified/ captains of industry etc. Than yours and voted leave...anecdotal or what . Not exactly a social scientific survey, but some people wouldn't recognise that if it was staring them in the face, because they happen to know someone who doesn't fit the generalised profiles.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 08:45:05

grin but quite honestly feel confused

Gononsuch Sun 24-Jul-16 08:41:36

OK ! Washerwoman, you're better than whitewave, feel better now ?

But whitewave you're the MAN.