Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should they decriminalise soliciting

(43 Posts)
breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 09:39:31

MPs are calling to decriminalise soliciting and relax the laws on brothels. What do you think?

whitewave Fri 01-Jul-16 09:44:05

I am completely on the fence on this one. I can't get past the yukiness to think objectively.

Anniebach Fri 01-Jul-16 09:52:42

Difficult one. Freedom to walk the streets selling sex any time any where? No. Brothels yes if it will mean the women are safer , will have medical check ups etc. So licensed brothels I think is best ,

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 10:05:40

It is a difficult one, which is why I posted it. Wondered what others thought. One the one hand, I think if men (we'll say 'men' for the example on following point) didn't have access to sex, we could see more women being forced into sex against their will and in extreme cases, dragged into the bushes and raped. So the sex workers provide a necessary service. On the other hand, I feel for the people (men and women) who have no choice but to work in the industry. Agree ab it will keep the women safer. Oldest profession in the world, and I watched a programme recently (forget what it was called) where it was pretty obvious, some do enjoy the work. But I would guess the majority don't. I suppose my conclusion, is if it exists, will continue to exist, and keeps people safer as it's obviously needed by some, then why not decriminalise and make the sex workers safer.

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 10:09:32

The problem is for me that many sex workers have been 'forced' co-erced to ply their trade as part of a larger criminal activity and the money they make is handed over to pimps and the like. I'd like to see policing efforts put into eradicating that if you ever can.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 10:14:02

I don't think it should be legalised. Prostitution is dangerous for all participants. Anything that makes it more easily accessible can't be good. Especially where the young are concerned. Leave the laws as they are.

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 10:16:48

Agree Teetime. Maybe concentrate efforts on ensure people who do not 'choose' to go into the industry are protected. Maybe if brothels were legalised, they could be regulated?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 10:17:02

My DH was propositioned once. DDs and I had only got out of the car to look round somewhere for a few minutes when a young lady stuck her head through the window.

He didn't succumb.

Lona Fri 01-Jul-16 10:17:52

I agree that licenced brothels would be safer. Sex is a basic human need, the lack of which drives people, mostly men, to acts of violence in some cases.
I don't think it would stop sex being sold on the streets though.

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 10:20:13

Should hope not. Elderly colleague came back from purchasing a sandwich at Shepherds Market once. Said he'd been propositioned. Told her he only had an hour for lunch! Doesn't alter the fact some men require their services though and what the alternatives may be if they didn't have access.

Indinana Fri 01-Jul-16 10:22:46

But if it was legalised, many of the dangers would be addressed. Women would have regular medical checkups, so they - and their clients - would be safer.
I really would not like to see soliciting decriminalised, however. That is a step too far. The thought of seeing women setting up their stalls on the roadside under a pretty sunshade, as you see in some countries, is just completely unacceptable to me.
The industry exists, but let's keep it discreet please. So yes to licensed brothels, but a big fat no to legalised soliciting.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 10:24:24

From the report:

"The committee said an in-depth study was needed to develop a better understanding of the extent and nature of prostitution in England and Wales."

The mind boggles as to how they propose to carry that out.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 10:26:32

Would you want to raise a family in a house next door to a licensed brothel?

Alea Fri 01-Jul-16 10:33:25

Maybe not, but having girls and their pimps hanging over your garden wall or having your daughters propositioned on their way home walking down the road could be even worse.
Jean (Boht of "Bread") and Carl Davis the composer, used to live next to Cynthia Payne's establishment in Streatham. She said they were lovely neighbours.
NIMBY?

Riverwalk Fri 01-Jul-16 10:37:18

Some time back I read an article about prostitution in Holland - that country always being promoted as having an enlightened attitude, with official red light districts, girls in windows, etc.

It seems that the girls there are no safer than anywhere else; alongside the licensed places there's just as much 'illegal' activity going on.

As for health checks, safe environment whatever, I don't think that would make much difference - there are still men who pay extra for unprotected sex, and workers willing to do it. sad

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 10:40:03

Bit chilly here for the pretty sunshade Indi! but guess it could end up in shop windows, like Amsterdam. It's a tricky one. It's going to go on. So make it safe as possible. Continue to criminalise it and it drives it underground, makes it harder to protect the workers, especially those underage forced into it by the pimps. And medically, which protects the workers and the clients. I'd like to see the girls off the streets. But then you need the brothels. There is also the element of excitement I guess. George Michael could afford to have them shipped in but chose a public toilet for example. So would the brothels solve that problem?

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 10:42:41

I've been to Amsterdam Riverwalk but not to the red light district. Do they have them on the streets soliciting?

sunseeker Fri 01-Jul-16 10:52:05

Licensed brothels away from residential areas. Regular inspections to ensure the workers are safe and healthy. I think soliciting in the street should remain illegal, it is unsafe for the workers and the clients. However, would those running the brothels pay the tax necessary to enable the health checks to be carried out? In the past I have known girls who worked in the sex industry and asked them why they had a pimp - they said it made them safer as he or one of his men was always close by in case a client became violent.

isitjustme Fri 01-Jul-16 10:58:47

absolutely in favour of this, in regulated brothels (like some places in America). it's the oldest profession - clearly it's never going away - and is it really all that bad, supposing the women haven't been forced, it's properly regulated and kept private, i.e. in private, regulated brothels?

what I'm thinking of here is the safety of the women.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 11:14:39

No. They are in the windows. You've missed a fun evening there breeze. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 11:17:28

I guess I was thinking of your ordinary suburban streets, rather Han areas where the 'culturally elite' hang out. hmm

And yes. NIMBY, thank you very much. Or, more especially, not in my grandsons'.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 11:18:20

And yes, that is exactly the areas these "licensed brothels" could well spring up.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 11:20:47

I am sick of this "oldest profession" stuff. That doesn't mean we have to condone it in modern times.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 11:23:52

Where would you put them sunseeker? In the middle of industrial estates, where there would be no passing nighttime trade? I think the prostitutes' own homes would be a cheaper, for them, option. And therefore the most likely one.

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 11:29:24

I know they're in the windows. I wondered as Riverwalk had read that article, if they are also on the streets soliciting, as she mentioned they are no safer there.