Gransnet forums

News & politics

Barbaric murder of priest

(75 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 26-Jul-16 20:32:32

I find it extraordinary that Sid Ahmed Ghlam( I may have misspelled this name) was arrested over a year ago with a list of churches which were to be targeted and this one at St Etienne de Rouvray was on the list. Why on earth was the list not made public ? Was the only church worth protecting the Sacre Coeur .

Anniebach Tue 26-Jul-16 20:49:24

I hadn't heard if that list Stansgran , were the churches informed?

Stansgran Tue 26-Jul-16 21:02:22

I can't find anything which says so but the armed police arrived very quickly for a suburban church.

petra Tue 26-Jul-16 21:04:02

Why was he even walking the streets? He was found guilty of going to Syria ( although he only got to Turkey) in 2015. On return he was found guilty and put on tag and was allowed out for 4 hrs a day.
France needs someone with balls now who won't stand for this mamby pamby attitude, when you catch a bad one, lock him up and throw away the key, although if it were down to me they wouldn't see the light of day again.

Luckylegs9 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:37:44

I can't understand why when they are found guilty they are free to walk the streets and probably recruit more like themselves.

Anniebach Tue 26-Jul-16 21:57:11

But guilty of what crime that warranted a prison sentence ? And they have so many under suspicion they couldn't lock them all up, sorry being logical , but it was said today it takes eight police officers to keep one of these suspects under constant surveillance, so I don't see it as lacking in balls , how many prisons would have to built , how many more police officers? I don't know the answer , there is no price on a human life .

petra Tue 26-Jul-16 21:59:19

I like what Sarkozy said: "We must be merciless"

Luckylegs9 Tue 26-Jul-16 22:07:27

Lock them up and keep them separate from others. Why would anyone want to go to Syria, perhaps it best to let them go but not come back, they wouldn't last long.

Anniebach Tue 26-Jul-16 22:26:05

But by merciless do you mean execute them Petra?

nigglynellie Tue 26-Jul-16 22:27:12

Quite, I'd let them go to Syria and hopefully they wouldn't come back! The murder of this priest is absolutely appalling, the terrorising of the congregation equally shocking. The terror they must have felt particularly the priest who, poor soul, was standing in for the regular priest who is on holiday, must have been horrendous. Having said that, protecting public places and places of worship is certainly a challenge.

petra Tue 26-Jul-16 22:30:42

anniebach He was found guilty of going to join a terrorist group. You ask, how many prisons would be needed? Needs must when the devil drives. They have plenty of space in France for more prisons. Whatever it needs: just do it.

Anniebach Tue 26-Jul-16 22:32:16

Niggly stand by, I too have thought would it not be lesser of two evils to let them leave the country , I don't know how many try to leave

nigglynellie Wed 27-Jul-16 06:39:27

The more the better!! As you say ab the lesser of two evils, and cheaper!!

PRINTMISS Wed 27-Jul-16 08:41:24

Yes, I do not understand why we would want to keep anyone like that in the country in which we live. The problem is I suppose that if they are allowed to go to Syria, or wherever they will increase the 'army' that is there. It is beyond our understanding, isn't it, that someone could do that to an old man, priest or not, and I suppose like many other normal human being I am appalled by such a barbaric act, but feel so helpless as to what to do about the increase we see in crimes/atrocities such as these.

petra Wed 27-Jul-16 08:54:18

If they are allowed to go to Syria they are only feeding Isis. Then there's the possibility that they return to any country in Europe with their minds even more warped and twisted than when they left and kill more innocent people.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 09:55:04

But Petra, can a mind be more twisted /damaged than the mind of the young man who cut the throat of an old man yesterday

Lilyflower Wed 27-Jul-16 09:58:01

A certain sector of society which likes to think well of itself at the expense of others has allowed this appalling state of affairs by prioriting the rights of their client groups over those of the law abiding, tax paying silent majority. If anyone took any action over these ghastly insurrectionists their Legal Aid lawyers would be establishing their 'right to a family life' and to 'remain' before you could say 'Jack Robinson'.

In my view, if you attack the rights and freedoms of others by violence and aggression the least that should happen to you is that your own rights are diminished accordingly instead of, as happens now,greatly increased.

One of the Eastern European countries is now saying that transgressing terroists will be sent back to their country of origin even if that country is not deemed 'safe'. This sounds reasonable to me. In future, would-be terrorists could factor in that hazard before embarking on their murderous actions.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jul-16 09:58:09

There is no answer. We removed the barbaric but strong dictators. Evil is loose.

Lillie Wed 27-Jul-16 10:01:19

They are just as likely to be radicalised online in their own homes as going to Syria. I read somewhere 80%.

Lindajane Wed 27-Jul-16 10:04:33

It seems impossible to stop these 'lone wolf' attacks and by the media frenzy we seem to be feeding them. ISIS (or whatever they're called) want to cause maximum fear etc. We do need as well to keep our safely and freedom in perspective. In 2015 there were over 1.700 fatalities in the UK due to road accidents and over 22,000 serious injuries.

Anniebach Wed 27-Jul-16 10:10:51

I agree , the press are feeding the need of ISIS

Gononsuch Wed 27-Jul-16 10:15:08

ISIS has got nothing on our own Henry VIII, the priest that he had killed just to get his end away is wrote down in history and it's called the reformation.

anglogallois Wed 27-Jul-16 10:40:11

Hollande is a deeply unpopular President and totally ineffectual. In fact his rise to power was to an extent made possible by his willingness to pander to the French equivalent of the Islington set. In government dolly mixtures were handed out to inexperienced people who happened to fit the correct "profile". If they were pretty then even better. Hollande replaced the bling of Sarkozy who aims to be back but comes with baggage (Louis Vuitton naturally). I'm afraid that here in France we must expect other such outrages. Still a great place to live though!

KatyK Wed 27-Jul-16 10:42:14

How can anyone be so full of hatred at such a young age?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jul-16 10:43:24

Perhaps we've progressed a bit since then? hmm Daft remark.

Can't see how you can bring road accident deaths into this. Totally different. hmm Head in the sand attitude?