Gransnet forums

News & politics

How to treat women

(32 Posts)
obieone Mon 01-Aug-16 09:42:01

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3717426/Labour-MP-Thangam-Debboinaire-urges-male-refugees-coming-Britain-need-properly-taught-treat-women-prevent-assault-sexual-harassment.html

I think I agree with this?

[I could only find a Daily Mail and Telegraph link, not a Guardian one]

obieone Mon 01-Aug-16 09:43:28

Oh dear. I meant to put this in the news and politics topic.
Oh well.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 01-Aug-16 09:52:21

obieone

Oh dear. I meant to put this in the news and politics topic.
Oh well.

Morning! We've moved this for you now smile

Gononsuch Mon 01-Aug-16 10:09:15

Maybe you could change the OP title To "How to treat Men".

Sometimes you just feel like banging your head against a wall, it doesn't matter how often you tell 'em they carry on doing it in the same way and then wonder, with a startled look on their face, How did that happen then .

OH isn't even 70 yet so if he did get dementure I might not notice.

Sorry for going of topic but some mornings, well I'm sure you know how it is.

petra Mon 01-Aug-16 10:17:32

They have been doing this in Germany, Sweden and Finland since the New Year's Eve attacks on women. Germany are going one step further and recruiting migrants as life guards to teach them that just because a woman is in a swimsuit/ bikini she isn't asking for sex.

obieone Mon 01-Aug-16 10:19:03

Kat and Gononsuch, thanks! smile

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 10:24:30

What is "dementure "??
Some sort of OAPS ticket for Wimbledon? confused

pensionpat Mon 01-Aug-16 11:03:03

?

Gononsuch Mon 01-Aug-16 11:23:51

GNHQ I'm being sportive I'm answering a query from DaphnBroon.

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 11:28:48

If you don't know try a spellchecker.
Clearly my question went right over somebody's head hmm

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 12:13:46

I think the OAPS ticket idea for Wimbledon is excellent! 'Dementure' indeed.

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 12:19:23

Sorry I got distracted off the OP. I remember a few years ago we used to have students from a language school staying with us. Two young men from a middle eastern country objected to me sitting at the table while we ate. They got short shrift. They also went a bit daft on alcohol which they'd never seen available before. This could also be playing a part in inappropriate behaviour noticed in some of the migrants. I'm still not impressed at the comparative number of young men as compared to women that seem to have arrived.

Riverwalk Mon 01-Aug-16 12:20:21

Or a box at the Royal Albert Hall!

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Aug-16 12:21:43

I think her comments have been taken out of context, singled out for a sound bite. She's talking about the kind of support provision needed for refugees coming to a different culture. As petra said, is already part of the support provided in other countries to help them integrate (it started before the New Year attacks).

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 12:29:53

Riverwalk gringrin

Gononsuch Mon 01-Aug-16 13:48:30

GNHQ I'm being sportive to anyone who hasn't got it yet

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Aug-16 14:10:16

Gononsuch do I take it you've received the "must be supportive at all times" email from GNHQ? And I thought that was mine all mine! wink

Apart from that, I haven't a clue what you're talking about. But I will defend the right of a poster to be totally crap at spelling to the bitter end. smile

TriciaF Mon 01-Aug-16 14:19:12

Back to the OP I think it would be a waste of time. They've been indoctrinated from the womb, and before.
The only way is to reinforce the existing laws and apply them.

madamecholet Mon 01-Aug-16 14:43:57

I prefer Gononsuch's spelling JBF, it means my supportive stockings become sportive stockings - it sounds much sexier!grin

obieone Mon 01-Aug-16 14:46:36

Interesting point TriciaF.

I have slight reservations about it and I dont now if I am right at all. In fact I am probably wrong.
It is the culture thing for me. Messing about with someone elses' culture.

But as I say, I am probably quite wrong.

Jane10 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:50:05

Maybe just make sure they know our laws and that they will definitely be upheld. Seems fair to all parties. If they want sharia law its available in the middle east. Their choice.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Aug-16 15:06:26

In the Guardian today is a video from a reporter who went to a small town in Norway to see one of these courses. The courses were made compulsory because of the attacks on women - and their benefits are affected if they do not attend. She talks to the course leader, the immigrants (men and women) and a politician. It's an interesting watch and worth the 11 minutes imho because it touches on so many points.

Course for immigrants in Norway

TerriBull Mon 01-Aug-16 15:28:19

I recently read about an Imam in Cardiff who has been advising young men in his congregation that it's acceptable to take sex slaves, in the way that ISIS have been doing. It's shameful that a cleric in this country can get away with this sort of sermon.

DaphneBroon Mon 01-Aug-16 15:43:58

Ah but there's "cr*p" nd what granjura might recognise as "merde de taureau " jingl and gononsuch

petra Mon 01-Aug-16 15:45:10

WilmaKnickersfit I watched the clip. But how is one hrs lesson going to change, I don't know how many yrs of indoctrination. It was interesting that the Syrian mother said: you will never change them.
I think it's a legal thing. There had been many Afgans who had taken jobs as taxi drivers and committed rape on their passengers. They said that they didn't know it was against the law. Well now that they have to attend these classes, they can't claim that anymore.