Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 Dispatches - Momentum Party

(513 Posts)
POGS Mon 19-Sep-16 21:58:40

Well that was interesting. I should say Panarama was also enlightening but not as forceful and uncompromisingly direct in it's reporting content as Dispatches.

I'm not going to simply post on the Lib Dem Thread which has turned into a Labour Thread as I think this programme summed up exactly what I have thought and have been posting since the formation of Momentum , it is a ' Party within a Party.'

I will say now to those who will see it as propaganda and take umbrage at my post you cannot argue with what you see and hear from the horses mouth, no matter how hard you might try and no doubt will.

The fact Momentum are doing all they can to play down the Momentum name in connection to the ' Jeremy for Labour ' Campaign , the use of the Unite Union office are significant, the way the reporter was paid is serious stuff and I hope there is further investigation into that. Will anybody take it up I wonder?.

Has anybody 'Cicked' on the ' Jeremy for Labour ' Campaign or answered questions on the phone in connection with it. The reason I ask is if you have you are, as I understood it, on the data base on the Jeremy For Labour Services?. Listen to what is said about it , you may not be too happy, or maybe you will of course.

There is to be fair a Momentum explanation and statement at the end of the programme but it is worth viewing to make your own mind up if you didn't catch it.

daphnedill Thu 29-Sep-16 17:00:07

I agree with you, Jess. There's even muddled thinking about migrant workers. Some of them come to work in the NHS, schools, IT, engineering etc and, thank goodness they do, because we have chronic skills shortages. Generally, it seems that skilled workers don't suffer that much discrimination. They're not 'taking anybody's jobs' and are being paid the going rate in skilled jobs.

However, if you go into parts of Fenland, especially Boston (the highest voting Brexit area in the country), attitudes are different. Workers are often employed by agencies and do drive wages down. The agencies sometimes use a loophole, which allows them to pay 'local' (ie country of origin) rates, which is below the UK minimum wage. Their English is often poor and there's a tribal mentality amongst the immigrants themselves and local people. Waffly liberal talk is going to fall on deaf ears, so Corbyn is right to open the discussion about barriers to integration and do something about it.

petra Thu 29-Sep-16 17:20:19

But daphne Corbyn doesn't regognise that there is a problem. I know he gave a nod to it in his speech but I think he was pressured into that.

Anniebach Thu 29-Sep-16 17:32:56

Corbyn cannot force people to change their views on immigration ,

durhamjen Thu 29-Sep-16 17:59:23

I presume that even in Fenland some of the immigrants work in engineering and the NHS.

durhamjen Thu 29-Sep-16 18:01:24

Corbyn doesn't want to force anyone to change their views on immigration.
He wants them to read, listen and work out for themselves that immigration is helpful to the UK.

Ana Thu 29-Sep-16 18:03:31

Re-educate them?

petra Thu 29-Sep-16 20:55:06

Send the thought police round. Now there's a job creation scheme because they're going to need a lot of them.

rosesarered Thu 29-Sep-16 20:58:22

The case for full employment? ?

Anniebach Thu 29-Sep-16 21:01:46

I fear what is happening to the Labour party, the vice chairperson of Momentum eho was suspended from the party this year then later reinstated - anti semitism allegations - was recorded at a momentum training day saying she didn't know the definition of anti semitism, the holocaust dsy should be open for all - some in the group told her it was- she also said more gypsies then Jews were killed . There us call from Jewish groups fir her to be sacked.

So the vice chair of momentum doesn't know the definition of anti semitism and why do they have training days ? To rehearse 'You are the wind beneath my wings, I doubt it.

durhamjen Thu 29-Sep-16 21:20:41

Here's an interesting view of the conference.

theconversation.com/what-my-students-saw-when-i-took-them-to-the-labour-party-conference-66218

A lecturer in public relations and politics took her students to the conference.
They didn't seem to have any problems getting into any of the rooms they wanted to see, and observed quite a lot of what went on.

Anniebach Thu 29-Sep-16 21:28:05

Sorry, can't see the relevance of the link, the lecturer had a few digs at people who are not far left though, why should there be any problems getting into rooms? It was the labour conference not the momentum conference

durhamjen Fri 30-Sep-16 00:18:37

Don't care, Annie.
Doesn't have to be relevant in your terms. It's just a view of the conference by someone who was there with her students.