Gransnet forums

News & politics

News from Peter Kay

(35 Posts)
Esspee Sat 20-Aug-22 09:54:01

Breaking news: Rather than erect a statue to commemorate Boris Johnson’s illustrious premiership - a sewage outfall at Bexhill beach has been named after the politician. A spokesman said “this conduit of effluent will become his lasting memorial.”

RichmondPark1 Sat 20-Aug-22 10:46:30

Very apt.

Dinahmo Sat 20-Aug-22 11:04:49

Perhaps there could be a series of Johnson's around the coast.

Jane43 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:07:38

I do miss Peter Kay.

eazybee Sat 20-Aug-22 11:21:34

How deeply unpleasant.
More a memorial to the ineptitude of the foreign-owned water companies.
Possibly this a joke? If so, typical of the type of lavatory humour that passes for comedy.

Dinahmo Sat 20-Aug-22 11:41:34

eazybee

How deeply unpleasant.
Possibly this a joke? If so, typical of the type of lavatory humour that passes for comedy.

Surely it's the ineptitude of the govts that sold them off, starting with Thatcher?

Are there other first world countries that have sold their utilities to another country?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 20-Aug-22 11:51:11

Great news and fitting

spabbygirl Sat 20-Aug-22 14:07:36

how appropriate!!!

RichmondPark1 Sat 20-Aug-22 15:05:55

Johnson's government voted in huge numbers to allow the water companies to discharge untreated sewage into our waterways. They have had 12 years to rectify the situation but choose to support the neglect and pollution in order to line the pockets of shareholders.

lemsip Sat 20-Aug-22 16:15:30

what has the op got to do with Peter Kay?

pinkquartz Sat 20-Aug-22 16:18:26

what was the reason given for voting to allow water companies to put sewage in our rivers and seas? I would love to know

Doodledog Sat 20-Aug-22 16:20:18

lemsip

I was wondering that grin

Esspee Sat 20-Aug-22 17:47:50

lemsip

It is his joke. He posted it on twitter.

I could have posted it without indicating the author but then I would be passing a very clever comment as my own.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 20-Aug-22 17:49:24

pinkquartz

what was the reason given for voting to allow water companies to put sewage in our rivers and seas? I would love to know

I believe it was as an emergency measure to prevent flooding of towns and homes.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 19:07:22

An emergency measure which has become 'the norm' and very regular! How convenient.

RichmondPark1 Sat 20-Aug-22 20:39:20

It's totally incorrect that sewage is only dumped in the sea in emergencies.

Water companies discharged raw sewage into English rivers 372,533 times in 2021 releasing untreated sewage for a combined total of more than 2.7m hours.

In 2021 untreated sewage was discharged into England’s coastal bathing waters on 25,000 separate occasions for more than a total of 160,000 hours.

South West Water discharged sewage into bathing beauty spots for 43,901 hours, with their longest discharge released at Ilfracombe’s Wildersmouth Beach, lasting 1,833 hours.

The House of Lords wanted to amend the Environment Bill in order to place legal duties on water companies to reduce discharges and this was defeated by Tory MPs on grounds of cost. All 264 MPs who voting to scupper the amendment were Tory.

The old Water Boards were made ineffective when Margaret Thatcher made it impossible for them to borrow money for the capital expenditure needed to improve systems. They were then privatised and decades of underinvestment have resulted in a system which does not work and where polluting our waterways is done as a regular part of the system and not as an emergency measure.

Rather than force the water companies to invest their profits to provide a functioning system the Tories have made it quite clear that the environment comes second to financial gain.

Nannytopsy Sat 20-Aug-22 20:40:14

Every day I get more depressed by the corruption, self interest and incompetence of the people who claim to be governing this country. And I don’t think we can trust the next leader to do any better.

RichmondPark1 Sat 20-Aug-22 21:14:19

South West Water's longest discharge of raw sewage onto Ilfracombe’s Wildersmouth Beach lasted 1,833 hours.

Nearly eleven solid weeks of raw sewage being pumped onto the beach and into the ocean. If that started today it wouldn't finish until November! This is they norm, not an emergency.

Poor nature. Poor wildlife. Poor us.
The money we pay for water and sewage needs to go on the system not into shareholders pockets and manager's bonuses.

If the government won't change it then I hope we change the government.

vegansrock Sun 21-Aug-22 05:22:36

This country is literally in shit. A fitting legacy of this Tory government. If you have a Tory MP please write to them and ask them why they voted to allow this.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-Aug-22 06:20:04

eazybee

How deeply unpleasant.

The regulatory regime under which water companies work is set by the U.K. government and administered by the EA.

What we are seeing happen to our beaches and rivers is the result of toothless regulation and utter disregard for the water infrastructure throughout the U.K..

Profiteering at the expense of the customer has been rife, but the Tory government has chosen to ignore this, even though the message from its regulator the EA, has been that the infrastructure is failing and failing badly, and needs urgent investment enforced by government regulation.

Now what is happening is that the water companies are constantly seeking licence to pollute our rivers and sea which the EA are forced to give by the government. If these licences are not given, raw sewerage will back up into our drains and lavatories. The utter irony is that the EA is also charged with looking after our rivers and sea and spend millions on building rivers fit for wildlife and humans only then to be forced to issue licences and watch so much of their hard work being completely destroyed. It is heart breaking to see the destruction of water voles, fish, otters and all the creatures in our rivers which so much energy has been put into save.

Last year rather than force the water companies to divert profit into investment the Tories voted to continue to pollute our country.

We need an election.

Esspee Sun 21-Aug-22 07:47:31

We also need a party, apart from the Tories, to vote for.
Perhaps Mick Lynch could start a new political party, or Martin Lewis.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-Aug-22 11:20:58

Mick Lynch advised Union members to vote for Brexit, and voted for Brexit himself. He is totally anti Europe, and immigration. So could never vote for him.

Allsorts Sun 21-Aug-22 12:18:17

Vile.

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-22 12:48:23

A new political party would ensure a tory win

Fleurpepper Sun 21-Aug-22 19:33:12

We shall shite on the beaches

fb.watch/f2cUZuu828/