Gransnet forums

News & politics

The U.K. must negotiate a return to the Customs Union, and single market.

(132 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 14:26:47

Without doing so our economy will continue in free fall.

TopsyIrene06 Mon 22-Aug-22 16:24:33

Agreed Whitewavemark2. Nobody in government is prepared to discuss it and the labour party remains remarkably silent. I just don't get it.

Fleurpepper Mon 22-Aug-22 16:28:16

Starmer is probably right to wait until the next Tory PM makes such a hash of it, we have the worst winter possible- and for the polls to show very clearly that this is what the Labour Party, and the population at large, wants. Remember that most Unions, and Mick Lynch, are Brexiters and still do not accept that Brexit has caused this mess, and has weakened workers' rights and caused massive inflation and price rises.

Never interrupt the enemy when it is crucifying itself!

Lollin Mon 22-Aug-22 16:29:04

Sadly I think the phrase, ‘hell will freeze over first’, applies here and perhaps in more ways than one too.

rosie1959 Mon 22-Aug-22 16:43:30

Not very likely Conservatives won't do it and unless Labour changes its Leadership Starmer has ruled it out

Fleurpepper Mon 22-Aug-22 16:52:31

Polls are changing fast currently. I do think they will continue to turn this coming winter, for all the wrong/right reasons. When polls and Labour members show that this is clearly what needs to happen, and that the majority of people are behind it- it will happen.

Mamie Mon 22-Aug-22 16:53:59

I agree Fleurpepper. Starmer will not go ahead of public opinion, but opinion will change as reality bites and the Brexit supporters power diminishes in favour of younger voters.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 17:07:45

Starmer is not going to touch it before the election, because the press will crucify him.

aggie Mon 22-Aug-22 17:10:42

Who thinks they won’t want GB back ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 17:14:03

Yes I think that is quite possible, but I’m not saying full membership, just SM and CU.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 22-Aug-22 17:17:42

Whitewavemark2

Yes I think that is quite possible, but I’m not saying full membership, just SM and CU.

Yes, that is more realistic now than rejoining, and I think it would make life a lot easier, not just for Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, but also, possibly, for the EU. Roll on!!

Mamie Mon 22-Aug-22 17:27:27

I think it will be SM and CU eventually followed by some sort of "outer circle" arrangement.

Fleurpepper Mon 22-Aug-22 17:30:43

but will always have to include FMOP - the EU will never give in on this, for anyone.

Oldnproud Mon 22-Aug-22 17:36:48

aggie

Who thinks they won’t want GB back ?

Well I certainly wouldn't, in their shoes!

Who would want to let someone who apparently hated them move back in just because they've discovered that standing on their own too feet turned out to be both harder and more expensive than expected?

It comes as little surprise to many of us that those who govern us, and those who influenced them, have proved themselves neither mature enough nor clever enough to go it alone, despite all their great claims and expectations of how great things would be once they - and the rest of us, whether we wanted it or not, were 'free'.

Now, again as expected, we are well and truly in the whatsit!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:02:24

“Now, again as expected, we are well and truly in the whatsit!”

We certainly are on the South Coast.

Oldnproud Mon 22-Aug-22 18:03:44

Whitewavemark2

“Now, again as expected, we are well and truly in the whatsit!”

We certainly are on the South Coast.

I thought of that as I was typing grin

MayBee70 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:07:58

Didn’t vote leave say we wouldn’t be leaving the single market?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:09:32

MayBee70

?. They said loads - 99% lies

MayBee70 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:12:40

rosie1959

Not very likely Conservatives won't do it and unless Labour changes its Leadership Starmer has ruled it out

Starmer has always made it quite clear that he will do whatever is best for the country and it’s people. He did so during the pandemic when he supported government policy because it was in the best interest of everyone. Johnson might have branded him Captain Hindsight but, to me he is Captain Sensible and, contrary to what Johnson has said about him he doesn’t play party politics when peoples lives and jobs are at stake.

Fleurpepper Mon 22-Aug-22 18:16:48

MayBee70

Yes, many did. And Frost stated clearly that leaving the Single market and Customs Union would be a disaster for British Industry.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:18:56

As did Truss

rosie1959 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:19:17

MayBee70

rosie1959

Starmer has always made it quite clear that he will do whatever is best for the country and it’s people. He did so during the pandemic when he supported government policy because it was in the best interest of everyone. Johnson might have branded him Captain Hindsight but, to me he is Captain Sensible and, contrary to what Johnson has said about him he doesn’t play party politics when peoples lives and jobs are at stake.

I have read a few reports that he has ruled out rejoining the Eu but I suppose he could do a U turn on this if he ever gets elected in a general election
Who knows politicians tend to change their minds

Whitewavemark2 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:22:15

Ruling out rejoining the EU is different to joining the SM and CU

Mamie Mon 22-Aug-22 18:22:58

I think that EU leaders and many of their citizens could see how the vote was manipulated and were well aware of the people who were desperate to remain. The demonstrations had a lot of coverage.

Fleurpepper Mon 22-Aug-22 18:28:28

Whitewavemark2

As did Truss

Yes.