Gransnet forums

News & politics

A whole new world landscape? It's not pretty.

(31 Posts)
Rameses Fri 26-Aug-22 18:19:06

The most frightening thing for me is the emergence of the post-truth era. It’s so Orwellian.

I suppose there are parts of the world where this has always existed, but in the Western developed World, it has been Trump who has claimed ‘black’ is in fact ‘white’, and vice versa. The writing was on the wall just after his Inauguration when he claimed he had a bigger audience than Obama. He continued the lie even when photographic evidence of the event were put side by side. This was followed by Kellyanne Conway’s breathtaking defence of ‘alternative facts’. Trump would tell a lie, and then another, and then another. The very existence of truth and empiricism began to vanish before our very eyes.

His example was of course followed by Balsonaro, Orban, Modi and then our own Boris Johnson. Johnson would lie, and then repeat the lie and repeat it again. The whole nation was gaslighted into believing fantasy mantras ….
20,000 new police officers, 40 new hospitals, the vaccine rollout was because we’d left the European Medicines Agency etc etc..

If we don’t have truth, or if we no longer understand what ‘truth ‘ is, we have nothing.

And that is what I find so terrifying.

Ilovecheese Fri 26-Aug-22 18:58:22

A small example I suppose was Matt Hancock saying he had put "a ring of steel " around care homes, when he had done nothing of the sort.

vampirequeen Fri 26-Aug-22 19:22:53

It's the way people just seem to accept it that scares me the most.

Fleurpepper Fri 26-Aug-22 19:29:04

vampirequeen

It's the way people just seem to accept it that scares me the most.

and deny it! Now that scares me even more!

MayBee70 Fri 26-Aug-22 23:24:42

I’m trying to remember the first time I heard the term post truth politics and I think it came from Margaret Beckett when she was talking on the radio the night Trump was elected. We’ve come a long way since then, but not in a good way.

pieinthesky Fri 26-Aug-22 23:40:52

A lie is a lie however it’s described and there is no place for liars in politics.

annsixty Fri 26-Aug-22 23:59:31

Boris Johnson wouldn’t know or acknowledge the truth if it hit him on the head very hard.

DiamondLily Sat 27-Aug-22 05:47:07

Johnson is just a compulsive liar. In his personal life, and with his career.

I've never understood why people support him.?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Aug-22 07:12:44

It seems that both Truss and Sunak are following the same path , if you listen to their speeches in the leadership campaign.

halfpint1 Sat 27-Aug-22 08:32:29

Watched from afar, I find Ms Truss alarming. For all Sunak has
done/not done I would far rather have someone with an inkling of economics .
I was sucked into the CNN coverage of Trump for his 4 years
it was the 'reality show' atmosphere of it. I haven't turned the
channel on since.

MaizieD Sat 27-Aug-22 08:41:51

Unfortunately, halfpint1, Sunak doesn't have an inkling of economics. People just think he does because he made a lot of money in the financial markets. But successful speculation has nothing to do with running a country's economy.

growstuff Sat 27-Aug-22 08:47:35

pieinthesky

A lie is a lie however it’s described and there is no place for liars in politics.

Unfortunately, there seem plenty of places for liars in politics.

For me, the worst thing is that so many know that we're being told lies, but there is no way of challenging the lies. Politicians are instructed to repeat the lies "ad infinitum", so they become accepted as the norm.

There are so many examples, but one is "40 new hospitals". Any sane person knows that there aren't 40 new hospitals in the pipeline. Even the six which already had quite advanced plans won't be built for nearly a decade (certainly not within the life of this parliament). Nevertheless, the "fact" gets repeated whenever a government minister is challenged about the NHS, along with manipulated figures about increased funding. Some people believe the propaganda, while others watch in disbelief that values of truth no longer seem to matter.

We truly do have politics based on lies.

growstuff Sat 27-Aug-22 08:48:27

DiamondLily

Johnson is just a compulsive liar. In his personal life, and with his career.

I've never understood why people support him.?

Maybe because they see something of themselves in him.

Americanpie Sat 27-Aug-22 09:03:49

After the lies that we were fed during the pandemic I now, don't believe a word that our government tell us and that wont change for me, no matter what party is in power. We are told that energy prices are going up across the world. Another lie.
We are suffering from having mediocre politicians who haven't the guts to do something radical about our energy sources. Where it will all end is anyone's guess but it is going to get a lot worse without a bold leader.

varian Sat 27-Aug-22 09:10:52

How many times have you pointed out Johnson's lies to a Tory voter and been told "they're all the same"?

They are not all the same. We must support the politicians who have integrity and tell the truth. Otherwise the liars will win.

growstuff Sat 27-Aug-22 09:12:10

Which lies during the pandemic do you mean? There were so many, especially from conspiracy theorists. Sunak is now trying to claim that the UK relied too much on "scientists" - the people who did understand most.

I'm not sure what you mean about energy prices. Generally, they are going up across the world.

growstuff Sat 27-Aug-22 09:13:51

varian

How many times have you pointed out Johnson's lies to a Tory voter and been told "they're all the same"?

They are not all the same. We must support the politicians who have integrity and tell the truth. Otherwise the liars will win.

I agree. Politicians and their parties aren't all the same. I'm not sure some people even understand what truth is any more. They seem to have been conditioned to repeat the excuses they've heard elsewhere.

Glorianny Sat 27-Aug-22 09:33:31

I don't think the present political state can all be blamed on Trump. I'd take it further back. Thatcher showed that you can have a secret agenda which you work to whilst telling the public something entirely different. So in fact your party's policies don't need to be anything you really intend to do, because once you have instigated the changes you are planning the policies are forgotten. Subsequent politicians have built on this belief and fine honed it . So Johnson lied about everything and planned only his own progress. Sadly I think it's difficult to find anyone in politics who isn't a bit like that.
Someone wrote about Charles II
Here lies my sovereign Lord the King
Whose word no man relies on
He never said a foolish thing
Nor ever did a wise one
Charles said his words were his own but his actions those of his ministers.
I think we could now apply it to every politician -their words are their scriptwriters, their actions their own.

halfpint1 Sat 27-Aug-22 09:36:30

MaizieD

Unfortunately, halfpint1, Sunak doesn't have an inkling of economics. People just think he does because he made a lot of money in the financial markets. But successful speculation has nothing to do with running a country's economy.

If you say so, says alot about him being the Chancellor

Galaxy Sat 27-Aug-22 09:37:25

It was very very clear that Johnson was a liar before he was elected. It was very clear that his character was lacking to say the least.

CatsCatsCats Sat 27-Aug-22 09:39:26

All politicians lie, it's part of their job description.

If you're looking for one who is totally honest and full of integrity, you've got a very long wait ahead.....

LizzieDrip Sat 27-Aug-22 09:49:26

The Conservatives, and their influential supporters, perpetuate the myth that ‘all politicians are the same’ e.g. Keir Starmer eating a curry and drinking a bottle of beer whilst campaigning was ‘the same’ as Johnson’s years of blatant lying and law-breaking!!! This myth plays into the hands of the Tories because it may turn people away from voting altogether. However, Tories will still vote Tory! All politicians are not the same. I’m sure there must even be some decent, honourable Tory MPs, although they are now culpable by association. Not sure how they sleep at night.

MaizieD Sat 27-Aug-22 09:49:29

CatsCatsCats

All politicians lie, it's part of their job description.

If you're looking for one who is totally honest and full of integrity, you've got a very long wait ahead.....

With respect, I think people like you are part of the problem, Cats.

Keep on repeating the lie that 'all politicians lie' and it normalises it...

growstuff Sat 27-Aug-22 09:57:26

Glorianny I think the difference is that agendas are no longer that secret. Politicians lies are out in the open, but people are powerless to do anything about them.

LizzieDrip Sat 27-Aug-22 10:00:13

Keep on repeating the lie that 'all politicians lie' and it normalises it...

Exactly!