Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson's mental health?

(96 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sat 27-Aug-22 12:45:57

I remember watching this some years back, about Trump- and now I believe it fits Johnson very well. He seems so far removed from the reality of his situation, so far removed from the crises ahead, massively of his own making

www.gq.com/video/watch/the-closer-with-keith-olbermann-why-we-must-talk-about-trump-s-mental-health

what do you think?

FannyCornforth Sat 27-Aug-22 13:01:39

I had a post deleted for saying this!

FannyCornforth Sat 27-Aug-22 13:03:20

For the umpteenth time I’m going to recommend Peter Oborne’s book about Trump and Johnson- ‘The Assault on Truth’

Boz Sat 27-Aug-22 13:13:24

I certainly think some of his Disciples are over-emotional. Nadine Dorries is lobbying for the investigation of his lying to Parliament to be dropped by the next PM.
Grant Shapps thinks we should overlook Johnson's failings as 'nobody is perfect'. fine but how many of us lie to Parliament?

I really think Johnson will be seen as the nemesis of the fall of the Tory party at the next election.

Republicans/Conservatives both ran with flaky populist candidates for short term gain but long-term pain.

Galaxy Sat 27-Aug-22 13:13:41

I know many people with mental health problems who have utter integrity and decency so I am wary of making those statements. I think that article isnt particularly articulate I am afraid.

Aveline Sat 27-Aug-22 13:17:17

I don't think Boris has mental health issues. It's amazing that he hasn't considering the prolonged stress and pressure he's been under. I'll be interested to see what he does next. I mean after he's back to the back benches. Will he quit? He certainly won't shut up. He'll be invited to comment on any future government and will keep writing too. I think he's pretty resilient.

Iam64 Sat 27-Aug-22 13:24:18

I continue to reflect on the difference between mh problems like schizophrenia, clinical anxiety/depression, psychotic delusions etc and people like Johnson and Trump.

I’m not disputing diagnosis like personality disorder, anti social, borderline etc are valid but so far we don’t have psychiatric assessments based on direct assessment, only on observed behaviour. We have some control over our behaviour, we don’t if in the throes of a psychotic breakdown.

FannyCornforth Sat 27-Aug-22 13:28:20

Yes, you’re right Iam64
Personality disorders rather than mental health issues

Iam64 Sat 27-Aug-22 13:33:49

Thanks FannyCornforth.
I recognise people with pd are more prone to depression, can have psychotic episodes under stress but I am uneasy about the ease with which personality problems can be described as mh issues, as though the individual has no responsibility for their awful behaviour

paddyann54 Sat 27-Aug-22 15:21:07

I dont think he has been under pressure I've read many comments from people in government who say he just dumps the problem on the next person he sees and goes on his merry way hoping it will be dealt with and he'll have something to report back on.Or lie about .The man is a disgrace ,as for his arse licking behaviour of the Ukrainian President ..just so he can say he was Zelensky's saviour it beggers belief.
He wanted his Churchill moment and this is as close as he can get so he's grabbing it with both hands.
Meantime the Countries where he is STILL Prime Minister are left with no one willing or able to make decisions about the almighty mess he's left behind !
Sadly, power devolved means the vast majority of power is retained by Westminster,and they aint working!!

So we have to watch OUR countries go down the pan with England...well at least we dont have shit on our beaches and the Edinburgh strike situation is Unionist party led by the coalition they came up with to oust the SNP . Most Scots know this and support the strikers our resident liar Anas Sarwar said there would be no coalitions with tories .Seems the labour councillors didn't get the memo there are at least 3 that I know of .Well done (not) Edinburgh for NOT objecting to the minority coalition overiding the people you DID vote for .

Fleurpepper Sat 27-Aug-22 15:29:07

''A personality disorder is a mental health condition that involves long-lasting, all-encompassing, disruptive patterns of thinking, behavior, mood and relating to others.''

so the line can be very thin. What I meant in the OP is that Johnson's behaviour and reactions, seem very similar to Trump's, and as the man in the video says 'there is (definitely) something wrong with him, which is very concerning in view of his huge influence on UK policy in last few years, and probably for longer behind the scenes.

MayBee70 Sat 27-Aug-22 15:40:09

It’s very interesting listening to people that have worked with Johnson over the years eg Rory Stewart in his podcasts. They are very scathing of him.

Fleurpepper Sat 27-Aug-22 15:43:03

'Resilience' Aveline is not a sign that someone does not have a personality disorder. Trump is also very resilient- way beyond what is good for him or his country.

MagicWand Sat 27-Aug-22 15:43:12

A friend was saying he’s reading a book called Sad Little Men. It’s all about the way boys were (and in some cases still are) separated from their families when they were sent away to boarding school from the age of 7-8. And how the resultant emotional and psychological damage can manifest itself in the men they become!!

Aveline Sat 27-Aug-22 15:56:24

I never said he didn't have a personality disorder. However, I don't think he does. I think he's just fairly typical of a sort of person that the average Gran doesn't come across. He is a product of his intellect, education, background and life experience. Not great but that's him.

Fleurpepper Sat 27-Aug-22 15:58:43

MagicWand

A friend was saying he’s reading a book called Sad Little Men. It’s all about the way boys were (and in some cases still are) separated from their families when they were sent away to boarding school from the age of 7-8. And how the resultant emotional and psychological damage can manifest itself in the men they become!!

I have close family to whom this applies, I am afraid. Lasting damage.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Aug-22 16:00:59

I think he’s a narcissistic ass (and there’s a little bit missing on that last word) I think he has a similar father I don’t know about his brother or is it brothers they seem to keep out of any limelight and his sister seems fairly level but he s completely up his own xxxx and I doubt he thinks of anybody but his entitled little self

Callistemon21 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:10:08

Fleurpepper

MagicWand

Oh not this again!

Look at Johnson's family background.

Not every boy who went to boarding school is like Johnson nor are they like the bitter man who wrote that book. In fact, I know no-one else like Johnson: he is atypical.

AGAA4 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:10:16

Are arrogance, misogyny and lying mental health issues? I don't think they are and this "umbrella" term mental health is used too much to the detriment of those who genuinely suffer.

Fleurpepper Sat 27-Aug-22 16:14:44

Callistemon21

Fleurpepper

MagicWand

Oh not this again!

Look at Johnson's family background.

Not every boy who went to boarding school is like Johnson nor are they like the bitter man who wrote that book. In fact, I know no-one else like Johnson: he is atypical.

Not every boy who went to boarding school is like Johnson, and not every one is dmaged by it. I know of three cases where the damage has been severe and lasting, but totally differently to Johnson.

Agree that he is 'atypical', but in a very similar way to Trump, although he is much better educated and 'intelligent' in his own way.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:15:09

Possibly he suffers from self-delusion.

Perhaps when he was a small boy with his blond hair, blue eyes, he got away with being naughty and still thinks that he can turn on the charm and convince others he's competent and trustworthy.

However, he's an adult now, lacks charm and needs to face reality.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Aug-22 16:16:50

Read his school reports

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Aug-22 16:22:17

There s nothing wrong with Johnson’s mental health.

He is simply a lazy incompetent liar.

Nothing a good kick up the ass wouldn’t have cured over the years.

Casdon Sat 27-Aug-22 17:38:55

paddyann54

I dont think he has been under pressure I've read many comments from people in government who say he just dumps the problem on the next person he sees and goes on his merry way hoping it will be dealt with and he'll have something to report back on.Or lie about .The man is a disgrace ,as for his arse licking behaviour of the Ukrainian President ..just so he can say he was Zelensky's saviour it beggers belief.
He wanted his Churchill moment and this is as close as he can get so he's grabbing it with both hands.
Meantime the Countries where he is STILL Prime Minister are left with no one willing or able to make decisions about the almighty mess he's left behind !
Sadly, power devolved means the vast majority of power is retained by Westminster,and they aint working!!

So we have to watch OUR countries go down the pan with England...well at least we dont have shit on our beaches and the Edinburgh strike situation is Unionist party led by the coalition they came up with to oust the SNP . Most Scots know this and support the strikers our resident liar Anas Sarwar said there would be no coalitions with tories .Seems the labour councillors didn't get the memo there are at least 3 that I know of .Well done (not) Edinburgh for NOT objecting to the minority coalition overiding the people you DID vote for .

Yes, paddyann54 you do have sewage on your beaches. I wish you didn’t, I wish we all didn’t. www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/two-scottish-beaches-limits-after-27814241
Something has to happen on water urgently now, for all our sakes. The industry needs a complete rethink, at a national and at a UK level, because so much of the water used in England comes from Scotland and from Wales.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think Johnson is mentally ill. I think he does have a personality disorder. He can’t change what he is, but his party and the electorate need to understand him for what he is and vote accordingly.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-Aug-22 17:43:43

paddyann you can't keep blaming Westminster for everything that is wrong with your country!

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Johnson is mentally ill. I think he does have a personality disorder. He can’t change what he is, but his party and the electorate need to understand him for what he is and vote accordingly
I agree.
Having a personality disorder may not necessarily be a bad thing but it is when the PM refuses to believe that he has done anything wrong and blames others.