Gransnet forums

News & politics

Half of Tory Voters want energy re-nationalising.

(77 Posts)
DaisyAnne Sun 28-Aug-22 22:41:24

From the Sunday Times a YouGov poll, on The Times' behalf.

They also say that 70% of Tory voters don't believe Liz Truss can be trusted with the economy.

MaizieD Sun 28-Aug-22 23:46:28

Unless they are members of the tory party with a vote, their beliefs are irrelevant...

VioletSky Mon 29-Aug-22 00:03:16

I don't know if it is possible but if it is, it should happen. Same with public transport.

Doodledog Mon 29-Aug-22 00:11:29

If that is true, then a massive majority of people will be actively against the policies we are going to be stuck with for at least 18 months. It is not democracy by any definition.

That, plus strikes and the energy crisis looming don’t make for a promising winter. People can only take so much.

DaisyAnne Mon 29-Aug-22 10:53:10

MaizieD

Unless they are members of the tory party with a vote, their beliefs are irrelevant...

That's a bit harsh Maizie. I'm not a member of any party but I hope, when we get to an election and even when parties are hoping it get elected, I count.

DaisyAnne Mon 29-Aug-22 11:04:53

Doodledog

If that is true, then a massive majority of people will be actively against the policies we are going to be stuck with for at least 18 months. It is not democracy by any definition.

That, plus strikes and the energy crisis looming don’t make for a promising winter. People can only take so much.

I think that will certainly be true Doodledog. Eyes are being opened in a way that may have taken decades if we hadn't had the fuel/energy crisis.

It certainly isn't and hasn't been democracy for the best part of the last 12 years. It ended totally when Johnson took the whip away from MP's, elected on a Tories manifesto and we haven't had anything like democracy since then. Each leader is running their own party according to their own beliefs. There is no such thing as a Conservative party any more.

news.sky.com/story/wednesdays-national-newspaper-front-pages-12427754 Scroll down to read the article in the Times.

Eloethan Mon 29-Aug-22 11:22:15

Suddenly Tory supporters are up in arms - because this price rice will affect even them.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Aug-22 11:39:22

Eloethan

Suddenly Tory supporters are up in arms - because this price rice will affect even them.

My sentiments exactly.

Boz Mon 29-Aug-22 12:05:19

Whitewavemark2

Eloethan

My sentiments exactly.

In which case the Tories are in trouble. Most Revolutions are started by the middle-classes, are they not? So beware the defection of the blue collar vote.
But
Labour have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot - pressure for PLP to back strikes which we lose them votes is an example.

I think it is time for coalition Government - although this can cause problems - because gross Capitalism has got to stop.

MayBee70 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:29:09

Whitewavemark2

Eloethan

My sentiments exactly.

Yes. Isn’t it strange how people suddenly develop a social conscience when something affects them personally.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:31:10

I am not sure if re-nationalisation is the answer.

I am sure that the energy regulations need a thorough overhaul.

Profit is not a dirty word, but they need to put consumers first. I appreciate that there is the Green Levy for investigation/development into moving away from fossil fuels, shareholders need a return and directors need a bonus as an incentive to keep the best and brightest in the industry, but maybe it’s time for them to receive less?

OFGEM is about as much good as a chocolate teapot.

MayBee70 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:56:31

They will never put consumers before shareholders though.

Doodledog Mon 29-Aug-22 13:00:06

MayBee70

Whitewavemark2

Eloethan

My sentiments exactly.

Yes. Isn’t it strange how people suddenly develop a social conscience when something affects them personally.

Yes, the number of people on Any Answers and similar who say 'I have always voted Tory, but this is too much' is staggering. Basically that means it was ok when others were struggling, but not for them to feel it.

Serves them right in many ways, but unfortunately they have dragged everyone else down with them.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 29-Aug-22 13:02:43

MayBee70

They will never put consumers before shareholders though.

May be that could be the Sword of Damocles dangled above their heads.

Sort yourself out or else.

DaisyAnne Tue 30-Aug-22 12:08:48

Boz

Whitewavemark2

Eloethan

My sentiments exactly.

In which case the Tories are in trouble. Most Revolutions are started by the middle-classes, are they not? So beware the defection of the blue collar vote.
But
Labour have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot - pressure for PLP to back strikes which we lose them votes is an example.

I think it is time for coalition Government - although this can cause problems - because gross Capitalism has got to stop.

They would be Boz, but I don't think the Tories, en masse, are revolting yet.

I agree with your view on foot shooting. I don't want to see the country return to the nationalisation of the post-war period. The government does not need to own the commodity or employ everyone directly. The post-war nationalisation would be far too close to communism for my taste, and it's centrist/centre-left votes that are required to get Labour and the centre-left parties into government. I know natural monopolies have unique issues and challenges, but we should be able to update and democratise how we deal with them. I would not like control of natural monopolies handed to the Unions any more than I believe it should be in the hands of big business. Perhaps we could have a "common market" within the United Kingdom?

Grantanow Tue 30-Aug-22 12:52:28

And the other half want Johnson back as PM!!! God help us.

Ilovecheese Tue 30-Aug-22 13:22:30

I don't know, I think where water, the actual stuff of life, is concerned, profit should be a dirty word.

Doodledog Tue 30-Aug-22 15:36:16

Ilovecheese

I don't know, I think where water, the actual stuff of life, is concerned, profit should be a dirty word.

I agree. Nationalised evergy, transport and water companies would be a far better solution, run with a Department of Utilities or similar. I realise that policies would swing back and forth with changes of government, but overall I think that there should be no profits to shareholders. We should pay for what we use, with a bit more for investment and workers' wages.

HousePlantQueen Tue 30-Aug-22 15:49:43

Whilst I can understand the idea behind privatising energy and giving the consumer the choice of supplier ( that's worked well hasn't it!), the same principle just cannot be applied to the water companies. Like everyone else, I do not have a choice of water and sewage suppliers, cannot 'shop around' for my 'provider' anymore than I can shop around to decide who I will pay my council tax to for provision of local services. Water is a necessity of life, and nobody should be making a profit from it.

DaisyAnne Tue 30-Aug-22 17:48:51

Doodledog

Ilovecheese

I agree. Nationalised evergy, transport and water companies would be a far better solution, run with a Department of Utilities or similar. I realise that policies would swing back and forth with changes of government, but overall I think that there should be no profits to shareholders. We should pay for what we use, with a bit more for investment and workers' wages.

Then, within my suggested Common Market for natural monopolies, we could have things run by not-for-profit companies. I don't want state ownership, and I bet I am far from being alone.

Ilovecheese Tue 30-Aug-22 18:39:08

What is it about state ownership versus not for profit that leads you to prefer not for profit Daisyanne ?
Is it possible Government interference?

DaisyAnne Tue 30-Aug-22 18:50:50

Not so much that Ilovecheese, but rather that we would be swapping one powerful group for another, i.e., bosses for unions. I'm all in favour of people in individual companies belonging to unions if they want, but not with them having so much influence.

Not everyone will agree but that's okay.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 30-Aug-22 18:54:48

It's a mystery to me. First Liz Truss is way behind the other candidates and Rishi ahead. Then we are told she is so far in the lead that she is a shoe in for PM. What has been going on? Suspect a Johnson conspiracy as a revenge strategy on Rishi Sunak . BJ has peerages to offer as carrots!!!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Aug-22 18:56:36

Lovetopaint037

It's a mystery to me. First Liz Truss is way behind the other candidates and Rishi ahead. Then we are told she is so far in the lead that she is a shoe in for PM. What has been going on? Suspect a Johnson conspiracy as a revenge strategy on Rishi Sunak . BJ has peerages to offer as carrots!!!

That wouldn’t surprise me in the least

Ilovecheese Tue 30-Aug-22 19:25:11

Daisyanne employees of a not for profit organization can belong to a union though, why would employees of a nationalised industry behave any differently?