Gransnet forums

News & politics

US & UK are poor societies with some very rich people.

(385 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 17-Sep-22 09:48:09

John Burn-Murdoch in the Financial Times today on the effect wealth distribution has on living standards.

By comparison with other countries

Income inequality in US & UK is so wide that while the richest are very well off, the poorest have a worse standard of living than the poorest in countries like Slovenia

He develops this in a twitter thread which is well worth reading:

twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1570832839318605824

and in his FT article.

www.ft.com/content/ef265420-45e8-497b-b308-c951baa68945

(The FT is usually paywalled. This article doesn't appear to be. But if you can't access it via this link you can through the link that Bur-Murdoch gives in his twitter thread)

I think this bears out a point that I was trying to make in another thread, that GDP indicates the over all wealth in a country, but not its distribution.

In his FT article, he poses the question:

Where would you rather live? A society where the rich are extraordinarily rich and the poor are very poor, or one where the rich are merely very well off but even those on the lowest incomes also enjoy a decent standard of living?

hmm

I'd ask the question: Which is more important to you; that the UK is an over all wealthy nation or that the wealth is better distributed within the UK population?

nanna8 Sat 17-Sep-22 09:55:47

I’m not sure you could compare the UK,or Australia, come to that, with some very poor countries. Not many would die of starvation in either country because there is a welfare system.Certainly not as visible as it is in some of the poorer Asian and African countries ( which certainly also contain extremely rich people and don’t share their wealth)

volver Sat 17-Sep-22 09:57:24

People die of starvation in Britain.

www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dwp-hounded-disabled-woman-for-years-before-her-starvation-death-papers-show/

nanna8 Sat 17-Sep-22 10:02:16

It’s changed then. I find that difficult to comprehend.

volver Sat 17-Sep-22 10:12:36

It has changed nanna8. This country is on its knees.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 17-Sep-22 10:14:35

Not sure what your point is volver. The woman had money but wouldn’t spend it on food or bills. We will never know what caused the problems with her benefits but it’s possible that, given her mental health issues, she didn’t engage with the DWP to provide the necessary information.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Sep-22 10:16:21

In a way, it's more shocking that people die here, and can be undiscovered for weeks/months, because they have fallen through the net.

volver Sat 17-Sep-22 10:18:22

In answer to the question in the OP; the wealth should be better distributed around the population.

Norah Sat 17-Sep-22 10:19:27

I would prefer people to give generously to charity and roll up sleeves to help the poor, as part of peoples everyday life.

I have no problem with extreme wealth, as with that comes the ability to give back, worldwide, extremely huge amounts. Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, McKenzie Scott, Warren Buffet come to mind.

Bill Gates: "The Microsoft co-founder announced this week that he's donating $20 billion to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, while reiterating his pledge to give away “virtually all of my wealth to the foundation” and eventually drop off the list of the world's wealthiest people altogether. Jul 15, 2022"

www.gatesfoundation.org/about/foundation-fact-sheet

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Sep-22 10:20:42

volver

People die of starvation in Britain.

www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dwp-hounded-disabled-woman-for-years-before-her-starvation-death-papers-show/

Having read your link, this is not a simple case, it is multi faceted.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 17-Sep-22 10:22:24

But, MissA, this woman had a mother.

I agree, Norah. A lot of wealthy people do good with their money but don’t shout about it.

MaizieD Sat 17-Sep-22 10:22:41

nanna8

I’m not sure you could compare the UK,or Australia, come to that, with some very poor countries. Not many would die of starvation in either country because there is a welfare system.Certainly not as visible as it is in some of the poorer Asian and African countries ( which certainly also contain extremely rich people and don’t share their wealth)

Did you read the thread, nanna8?

Not getting at you,you just happen to be the person who made a comment which others might make as well, but this unwillingness to believe evidence, which commentators have spent time in gathering and presenting, is part of our problem.

Maybe I should spend some time copying and pasting some relevant parts of it, but it really needs to be read to appreciate the graphs that accompany it.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Sep-22 10:23:28

I watched a dispatches video of a man who starved slowly to death in an unheated flat, due to him not responding to the dwp and them eventually stopping his money.

Aveline Sat 17-Sep-22 10:23:48

I have no problem with some people being very wealthy as long as they pay the correct rate and amount of tax thus contributing to the running of the country with all that that involves including benefits and health care.

MaizieD Sat 17-Sep-22 10:24:14

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree, Norah. A lot of wealthy people do good with their money but don’t shout about it.

How very Victorian of you, GSM.

In a wealthy country nobody should have to rely on wealthy people's charity for their basic sustenance.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Sep-22 10:25:18

As long as those earning money pay the appropriate taxes I have not got a problem with wealth.

There does need to be a conversation regarding raising the minimum wage to what is being called a living wage. As I understand it this could push up prices of food and goods and increase inflation.

It should not be allowed for employers to pay so little that their employees need to get a top up via benefits. This is an area that definitely needs examining.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Sep-22 10:25:30

Ideally, certain standards should be kept up for the poorest people, but those seem to be slipping backwards.

MaizieD Sat 17-Sep-22 10:28:04

Aveline

I have no problem with some people being very wealthy as long as they pay the correct rate and amount of tax thus contributing to the running of the country with all that that involves including benefits and health care.

I think you are completely missing the point of this and Burn-Murdoch's thread.

We're not talking about 'people being wealthy'. It's not a 'knock the wealthy' thread. We're talking about the distribution of wealth and its effects on living standards across the whole country.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 17-Sep-22 10:28:17

So giving to charity is Victorian? Well I’m happy to be Victorian then. Better just to sit on your money and watch it grow until the State confiscates it for redistribution perhaps.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Sep-22 10:28:21

MaizieD

Germanshepherdsmum

In a wealthy country nobody should have to rely on wealthy people's charity for their basic sustenance.

Are you suggesting that those who can and do charitable work and donate vast sums of their own money shouldn’t MaizieD ?

Some consider it a moral duty to give back to society, and calling them Victorian by way if an insult is not very charitable of you.

MaizieD Sat 17-Sep-22 10:29:26

As long as those earning money pay the appropriate taxes I have not got a problem with wealth.

See my response to Aveline above.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 17-Sep-22 10:30:19

But you are knocking the wealthy Maizie. You are advocating redistribution of wealth and mocking charity.

Glorianny Sat 17-Sep-22 10:30:28

Germanshepherdsmum

Not sure what your point is volver. The woman had money but wouldn’t spend it on food or bills. We will never know what caused the problems with her benefits but it’s possible that, given her mental health issues, she didn’t engage with the DWP to provide the necessary information.

Oh I see it's her own fault because she had mental health problems and "didn't engage" what a ridiculous argument. All the agencies involved let this women down. And she died because an inadequately funded system, which is based on the ability to fill in forms, argue and persevere, and not on need, completely failed her. The system is completely broken.
We no longer have a society which looks after the needs of the weakest and most vulnerable and of course people are dying because of this.

MaizieD Sat 17-Sep-22 10:32:30

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

Germanshepherdsmum

Are you suggesting that those who can and do charitable work and donate vast sums of their own money shouldn’t MaizieD ?

Some consider it a moral duty to give back to society, and calling them Victorian by way if an insult is not very charitable of you.

Why is it that a serious thread about wealth distribution turns into a 'defend the wealthy' thread?

No-one in a supposedly wealthy country should have to depend on charity for their existence.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Sep-22 10:33:01

How do you propose to redistribute the wealthy folks earned income?

Confiscate a percentage of their bank balance and hold a lottery for the poorest in society to see who gets a bit?