Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Truss be desperate to hang on until the Coronation?

(26 Posts)
Glorianny Mon 03-Oct-22 09:17:07

I can't help feeling Truss simply wants to be on show. She got the Royal funeral now I think she'll want the Coronation. Quite what lengths she will go to to hang onto PM remains to be seen. But I bet she's choosing her outfit already!

eazybee Mon 03-Oct-22 09:22:19

What a stupid comment.

Doodledog Mon 03-Oct-22 09:22:46

Much as I wish she'd go, and much as I'm sure you're right about her desire to be part of history, I'm not sure she'll be under pressure to go. The Tories are well known for being ruthless when it comes to staying in power, and they must realise that having another unelected leader is untenable, and that they won't survive a GE if it were called now.

Calendargirl Mon 03-Oct-22 09:25:32

Have we any idea when the Coronation will be?

Just my own take on it, but the Queen was crowned on 2nd June 1953.

It would be appropriate for King Charles to have his Coronation on the same date, 70 years later, i.e. 2nd June 2023.

Expect Liz will still be in power then.

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 09:26:54

eazybee

What a stupid comment.

Is there any need to be so rude?

GagaJo Mon 03-Oct-22 09:34:04

Of course she will be. Both Boris and Liz are really only in it for the power and prestige. We saw everyday how Boris really didn't want the work. Just the position and the status and perks it gave him. Liz is no different.

Oh for someone that really cared about the country. It's just a massive game to the shower in power right now.

Glorianny Mon 03-Oct-22 10:02:55

eazybee

What a stupid comment.

Well with a stupid PM it seems only right to have stupid discussions about her. If you tried discussing her sensibly you'd end up needing some sort of therapy.

Franbern Mon 03-Oct-22 10:19:24

My school teacher daughter is betting on the Coronation date to be during the summer school holidays. Probably late July,

Do not think it will be a Friday - too many religious problems with that day. More likely to be earlier in the week. A Monday could give a three day weekend.

vegansrock Mon 03-Oct-22 11:10:08

It’ll be in the school half term so the teachers can’t get an extra day off.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Oct-22 11:35:18

I want to see the back of her well before the Coronation. Tomorrow would do nicely. Along with Kwarteng.

Glorianny Mon 03-Oct-22 11:38:08

George V1 died in Feb, coronation in June. If the same rules were followed should be coronation in Feb, but it will be too wet. I'l go for end April beginning May.

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 11:41:55

George V1 died in Feb 52, coronation in June 53. If the same rules were followed, we wouldn't see a coronation till January 2024. I don't think that's how it works. shock

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 03-Oct-22 11:43:56

I don’t think there are ‘rules’, just letting a decent period elapse before all the celebrations of a coronation.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Oct-22 12:00:45

The late Queen’s coronation was delayed on the advise of Churchill because he considered her young age a factor and she needed time to settle in.

Grantanow Mon 03-Oct-22 13:00:02

She will be desperate to hang on to the job for 12 months so she gets the pension and free car for life. Coronation is irrelevant.

eazybee Mon 03-Oct-22 13:47:08

Yes, an utterly stupid comment.

'She got the Royal funeral, now I think she'll want the Coronation.'
How deeply disrespectful.

Whatever you think of Liz Truss as a politician she is a hard-working woman who has achieved a career through her own efforts, and taken on a thankless task for whatever reason.
To accuse her of wanting to remain Prime Minister simply so she can appear at the forthcoming Coronation is cheap.

Glorianny Mon 03-Oct-22 14:46:25

eazybee

Yes, an utterly stupid comment.

'She got the Royal funeral, now I think she'll want the Coronation.'
How deeply disrespectful.

Whatever you think of Liz Truss as a politician she is a hard-working woman who has achieved a career through her own efforts, and taken on a thankless task for whatever reason.
To accuse her of wanting to remain Prime Minister simply so she can appear at the forthcoming Coronation is cheap.

Respect needs to be earned. Truss may be hard working but she volunteered for the job so if the task is thankless she has only herself to blame, no one made her do it.

Prentice Mon 03-Oct-22 14:47:08

I do second what you say Eazybee
Liz Truss may dislike royal pomp and ceremony for all we know, it is being a politician and now PM that she wants.
Two very different reasons.

Prentice Mon 03-Oct-22 14:50:25

I think because we dislike and distrust a politician is no reason to conjure up flights of fancy regarding their motives.
Wanting to be PM is enough.

Joseanne Mon 03-Oct-22 15:26:31

I agree with eazybee and Prentice too. I can't remember noticing what Liz Truss was wearing at the Queen's funeral, (and believe me, I am a devoted follower of fashion). All I know is that she respectfully got on with the job, that of reading the lesson.
I am not keen on her, but to say all she is worried about is the outfit, (and no doubt the accompanying headgear), just demeans the occasion. I am sure she will conduct herself with equal decorum at the Coronation, if she is still around, but I think she sets her sights a lot higher than tripping down the aisle in new stilettos.

Urmstongran Mon 03-Oct-22 15:35:44

Goodness it’s so many months away! Such speculation. Probably most of it silly.

Casdon Mon 03-Oct-22 15:37:45

Wouldn’t she be invited anyway, even if she is a former PM?

Urmstongran Mon 03-Oct-22 15:38:48

Good point Casdon.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 03-Oct-22 15:39:28

I thought there was an unwritten rule that Tory leaders couldn’t be ousted until they had completed a year as PM. Regarding the Coronation, it won’t matter if it’s in February or whatever. The late Queen’s took place in June and apparently it rained. I don’t think its on Ms Truss’s mind at all. Why would it be?

Joseanne Mon 03-Oct-22 15:41:51

Urmstongran

Good point Casdon.

Yes.
I thought the coronation was all about the clergy - the Archbishops and Co - not the government?