Gransnet forums

News & politics

Clapham acid attacker - asylum seeker convicted of sex offence but still granted asylum?

(521 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 02-Feb-24 08:43:28

What the hell is happening to this country?
Send these scum to Rwanda ASAP.

Totally sick of these violent criminals being allowed to stay here.

yggdrasil Fri 02-Feb-24 08:47:27

He was an Afgan. You have no knowledge of what his original offence was, but it wouldn't be a death sentence he could be facing if sent back there

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Feb-24 08:48:26

According to the news this man arrived from Afghanistan in 2016 in the back of a lorry.

Was convicted in 2018 of sexual assault/exposure but not jailed.

He had his claim for asylum refused twice, on the third attempt he claimed to have converted to Christianity and was granted leave to remain in U.K.

The eyewitness reports that I have seen on the news regarding what happened to the 3yr old little girl when she was dragged from the car are harrowing.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Feb-24 08:50:06

yggdrasil

He was an Afgan. You have no knowledge of what his original offence was, but it wouldn't be a death sentence he could be facing if sent back there

I agree in principle, but after the events in Clapham if he is convicted he should be sent back to his place of birth.

Sago Fri 02-Feb-24 08:58:09

It is a disgrace that he was allowed to commit this crime.
Who do we have living here?
Potentially we have imported an army, fed, clothed and housed them.
It’s not going to have a happy ending.
I do not believe multiculturalism is working in the UK.

AGAA4 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:00:41

He should not have been granted asylum here as the safety of the citizens of this country have to come first.
He was a convicted sex attacker and has now gone on to commit this horrendous attack.
He should be sent back.

Luckygirl3 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:02:46

If he qualified for asylum, which it seems he eventually did, then there is no way of knowing if he might go on to commit an offence, any more than there is of any citizen.

A proportion of people will commit crimes, whether they are native British or from another country.

Primrose53 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:06:18

Just heard on the news he injured 12 people really badly.

The public are therefore being told to keep away from him.

Freya5 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:08:31

Luckygirl3

If he qualified for asylum, which it seems he eventually did, then there is no way of knowing if he might go on to commit an offence, any more than there is of any citizen.

A proportion of people will commit crimes, whether they are native British or from another country.

To say he converted to Christianity is really a ploy to stay in this country. Aided and abetted by a tax payer funded lawyer. They will say anything to do so.

MaizieD Fri 02-Feb-24 09:10:29

Usual vile comments being trotted out, I see...

AlasNo Fri 02-Feb-24 09:16:45

I think regardless of any person’s ethnicity or background anyone who throws acid or a corrosive substance at another human being ought to be hanged. It’s a sad fact that this method of attack is more frequently used in other parts of the world.

Cossy Fri 02-Feb-24 09:21:31

Kandinsky

“What the hell is happening to this country?
Send these scum to Rwanda ASAP.

Totally sick of these violent criminals being allowed to stay here.”

I did wonder how long it would it be before people started to become angry about this incident because the perpetrator was an asylum seeker!

Be angry at him as a human being carrying out a horrific crime.

We have many many home grown violent criminals, there are good and bad people if ALL nationalities.

Focusing simply on his migration status and nationality doesn’t help his victims, doesn’t help his fellow Afghans and certainly doesn’t help the growing and open xenophobia and racism so rife in our country.

I wish a full and speedy recovery to the poor family attacked and that this awful criminal is arrested and tried in our court and then deported. Not because he is an asylum seeker, but because he’s an evil, violent criminal and he can take his chances back in his country of origin.

What an awful thought that we should ship known criminals off to Rwanda with other innocent asylum seekers!

luluaugust Fri 02-Feb-24 09:27:44

Poor mother and children, heartening to see people of many ethnicities went to their aid and have apparently suffered for their kindness.

Juliet27 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:28:00

Well said Sago

Grammaretto Fri 02-Feb-24 09:29:03

Well said Kandinsky

Cossy Fri 02-Feb-24 09:38:17

MaizieD

Sadly! I just shuddered when I heard he was an asylum seeker, knowing how people would react when we should be focusing on the victims, hoping this evil man is quickly detained and tried and punished. Some people will use this as an excuse to blame migrants yet again for every wrong in our country.

We ARE a multicultural country and have been so my entire life m, 65 years, and before. Vile people commuting atrocious crimes are of all nationalities!

Cossy Fri 02-Feb-24 09:39:03

Committing not commuting!

Cossy Fri 02-Feb-24 09:39:45

Sago

Sorry I think you’re talking tosh!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Feb-24 09:40:11

If some bent lawyer hadn’t cooked up the Christianity ploy he wouldn’t have been here to commit these atrocities.

Boz Fri 02-Feb-24 09:42:52

Cossy

MaizieD

Sadly! I just shuddered when I heard he was an asylum seeker, knowing how people would react when we should be focusing on the victims, hoping this evil man is quickly detained and tried and punished. Some people will use this as an excuse to blame migrants yet again for every wrong in our country.

We ARE a multicultural country and have been so my entire life m, 65 years, and before. Vile people commuting atrocious crimes are of all nationalities!

You are quite right Cossy but we have a dangerous problem in this Country of the disaffected Asylum S; often with mental problems.
The Southend MP who was stabbed.
The young Nottingham Students.
as examples.

Bella23 Fri 02-Feb-24 09:47:43

He might have professed to turn Christian but he certainly didn't turn the other cheek.
Why are we ending up as a country filled with people the rest of the world don't want? Why did he need to escape Afghanistan?
As GMS says bent lawyers after money aid them to get asylum.

Purplepixie Fri 02-Feb-24 09:51:15

Oh I feel sick and I was so upset when I heard the news. Yet again we have to put up with something like this. He should have been sent back when he committed the first offence. It is said that he was allowed to stay after converting to Christianity. That should never have happened. What the hell is this country coming to. Love and hugs to the mother and her children and all those who were injured helping them. Evil!

Chestnut Fri 02-Feb-24 10:03:14

I think we all shuddered when we heard he was an asylum seeker Cossy because it's a story that is repeating over and over again.

Bring the world into your country and you bring the problems of the world with them.

We are bringing the whole world into our tiny country and that will eventually be our downfall.

People who jump in boats and risk their lives may be genuine asylum seekers seeking a new life, or they may be desperate criminals who have nothing to lose, escaping their old life. Then they are eventually lost in the system and who knows where they end up. There are thousands of them with mental problems and the authorities have lost track of them (this was admitted on the news last night).

Those on here who are defending these people need to wake up and realise what is happening. Until then you will find yourself shuddering over and over again every time one of these horrors is reported.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Feb-24 10:05:09

SKY news is reporting the details on its website.

12 people injured including 5 police officers and bystanders along with this poor mother and her 3 & 8 year old daughters. The mother and 3 year old have life changing injuries

Abdul Shokoor Ezedi pleaded guilty to sexual assault and one of exposure. He was sentenced on 9/01/2018 a 9 week jail term for suspended for two years. For his exposure he was sentenced to 36 weeks imprisonment to be served consecutively, also suspended for two years. He was discharged from probation supervision in 2020

After his sentencing he had a priest vouch for his conversion to Christianity, saying he was wholly committed to his new religion.

This man should have been deported as soon as he was found guilty.

rosie1959 Fri 02-Feb-24 10:06:09

This man arrived here in 2016 apparently seeking asylum but then committed an offence of a sexual nature not really an act that would help his application. Why was his asylum then granted we are too soft. He should have been deported immediately.