Gransnet forums

News & politics

The thieves are getting younger.

(82 Posts)
Sago Fri 08-Mar-24 18:32:26

Police in North Yorkshire pulled up a BMW X5 towing a caravan on the M1.

The car and caravan were stolen and on false plates, equipment used to steal the vehicles was found in the car along with false number plates.

The driver who was travelling alone is 11 years old.

Disgraceful but on the other hand commendable.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-24 18:37:59

It’s hideous isn’t it Well he couldn’t have done this alone could he? but to drive a car towing a caravan at 11 years old on a blooming motorway by himself is incredible , takes some doing !

Sago Fri 08-Mar-24 18:47:08

It seems he was driven to the site and then he took the car and caravan.
Perhaps it was his 9 year old sister who dropped him off😂.

Oldnproud Fri 08-Mar-24 19:19:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Visgir1 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:23:06

And he apparently had other false number plates with him.
Cheeky little......

sodapop Fri 08-Mar-24 19:23:33

Apparently he was wanted for several other offences as well. Frightening that such a young boy is already breaking the law so flagrantly.

lemsip Fri 08-Mar-24 19:23:53

NewsUK
Boy, 11, arrested after being found at wheel of BMW towing caravan on M1
North Yorkshire officers said they were ‘staggered’ after finding the boy driving a BMW X5 on the motorway
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/bmw-north-yorkshire-police-north-yorkshire-thirsk-b2509596.html

for any doubters.

ronib Fri 08-Mar-24 19:28:35

In minor vein, 5 teenagers in school uniforms got on a bus yesterday and refused to pay fares or tap in a payment card. The bus driver did nothing. It’s obviously minor crime but it starts somewhere?

Aveline Fri 08-Mar-24 19:44:46

Katie59 Fri 08-Mar-24 20:35:47

Just like county lines that use children as couriers although driving a car at 11 is dangerous to other road users, I bet he was following another car who disappeared when the police showed up. Sister not likely to be with him, she was shoplifting for her mum.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-24 21:01:21

I think it’s really horrible to make assumptions as to the child’s background or ethnicity or even make suggestions …thats truly not good oldanproud and Avaline

V3ra Fri 08-Mar-24 21:39:55

BlueBelle I'm afraid 40+ years experience in both the motor trade and the caravan trade means my husband made the same comments.
His only surprise is that the boy is older than 10 years and thus not under the age of criminal responsibility 🤷

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-24 21:47:17

It’s not on Vera you can think what you like you can talk to your husband as much as you want but you can’t come on a public forum and make assumptions about the child’s ethnicity

Curtaintwitcher Sat 09-Mar-24 06:29:06

It's hard to believe that a child that age would be capable of driving. Presumably he's been committing crimes since he was able to walk. It's a way of life for some people.
If a child is 'below the age of responsibility', the parents should be held to account. It was probably the parents who put him up to it, and I don't doubt that the whole family are 'known to the police'.

Aveline Sat 09-Mar-24 06:47:20

BlueBelle of course we can! It's an open forum.

Katie59 Sat 09-Mar-24 07:01:32

NotSpaghetti Sat 09-Mar-24 07:02:07

I don't like these assumptions about the child's background either. I wish people wouldn't do it it's unfair and unreasonable.
Gypsies, Irish Travellers, Romany are ethnic minority groups.

Just saying.

Calendargirl Sat 09-Mar-24 07:34:58

Well, although we shouldn’t make assumptions, am willing to bet that when more details emerge of the 11 year old caravan thief’s background, certain assumptions will prove correct.

My thoughts exactly.

Spinnaker Sat 09-Mar-24 07:52:10

Calendargirl

Well, although we shouldn’t make assumptions, am willing to bet that when more details emerge of the 11 year old caravan thief’s background, certain assumptions will prove correct.

My thoughts exactly.

Precisely this 👏

BlueBelle Sat 09-Mar-24 08:46:24

Well, although we shouldn’t make assumptions, am willing to bet that when more details emerge of the 11 year old caravan thief’s background, certain assumptions will prove correct

They may well be correct that is absolutely not the point at all but surely you can see it is not on at all to jump to those conclusions and stick them on a public site
Would you really say I bet that’s a Black kid or a Jewish kid or a Pakistani kid or an Irish kid of course you wouldn’t (well I hope to God you wouldn’t ) And it’s totally out of order to jump to these conclusions and make them public

I m amazed

Calendargirl Sat 09-Mar-24 08:54:53

But then we all just sit here, with our own thoughts and assumptions, not posting anything at all?

Aveline Sat 09-Mar-24 09:38:53

Obviously that's what BlueBelle would prefer.

MaizieD Sat 09-Mar-24 10:30:38

BlueBelle

*Well, although we shouldn’t make assumptions, am willing to bet that when more details emerge of the 11 year old caravan thief’s background, certain assumptions will prove correct*

They may well be correct that is absolutely not the point at all but surely you can see it is not on at all to jump to those conclusions and stick them on a public site
Would you really say I bet that’s a Black kid or a Jewish kid or a Pakistani kid or an Irish kid of course you wouldn’t (well I hope to God you wouldn’t ) And it’s totally out of order to jump to these conclusions and make them public

I m amazed

I'm with you, BlueBelle.

Rosie51 Sat 09-Mar-24 10:37:05

One thing's for sure that's not the first time he's driven a car. I've been driving for decades and would not fancy trying to tow a caravan. Where on earth has he learned to drive at such a young age?

Calendargirl Sat 09-Mar-24 10:43:33

Where on earth has he learned to drive at such a young age?

You may well ask. In a field, on an old aerodrome, in a supermarket car park at night, a quiet country road in the middle of nowhere….?