Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lee Anderson has joined the Reform UK political party!

(403 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 11:24:49

I’m surprised but delighted! A man after my own heart. He said ‘I just want my country back’.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 11:40:28

All of the Red Wall conservative MPs need to defect to Reform, the 2019 voters who lent their votes deserve it. I was one - and regret it.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Mar-24 11:48:24

A couple of months ago

Anderson on Tice: “He’s just a pound shop Farage.”

Tice on Anderson: “I think he’s terrified he’s going to lose his seat and perhaps he’s just a bit jealous that I’m a pound shop and he’s 30p Lee.”

Chancers the lot of them

karmalady Mon 11-Mar-24 11:49:44

oh yes!! That is me decided, reform all the way

maddyone Mon 11-Mar-24 11:51:12

Interesting.

Rockyroad Mon 11-Mar-24 11:54:49

Great news! I’m delighted!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Mar-24 11:55:24

Will Anderson resign his seat and go for re-election. He signed a motion supporting this view, that any MP changing to another party should resign and go for re-election?

Of course he won’t!

Shinamae Mon 11-Mar-24 11:57:09

Reform and GB news all the way for me 😁

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:01:24

I am delighted to see people deciding to vote reform. Hope more do so.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 12:08:10

I think Reform will take the place of Lib Dem as 3rd party in the UK at the next GE.

LA is going to come in for a bit of stick now.
Labour then a Tory - now Reform.
The cartoonists will have a field day tomorrow!

Actually he doesn’t need a by election - he was suspended from the Tories fir his views (which match mine - Happy Days!).

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 11-Mar-24 12:10:02

I was always surprised that he defected from Labour to the Conservatives. Not a good fit for the Conservative Party. I’m glad to see the back of him.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 12:13:01

I think Labour will lose votes to Reform UK as they are not ‘Brexit’ fuelled. Starmer advocates ‘closer ties’ with the EU. The Red Wall voters are not happy.

Interesting times. I’ve got my popcorn.

Siope Mon 11-Mar-24 12:13:53

Nothing could be less surprising than a xenophobic racist joining a party full of xenophobes and racists.

Sunak truly has no political acumen at all.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 12:19:35

He’s saying what a lot of people believe. He doesn’t focus on hating anyone, he’s just telling these extremist groups they will have fight on their hands, as we will not give up centuries of tradition for a future based on their hate.

So good for him. The time for talking is past, people want to see action and sensible progress towards ridding our country of those who wish it harm.

Nicenanny3 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:35:14

Siope

Nothing could be less surprising than a xenophobic racist joining a party full of xenophobes and racists.

Good grief, I bet I can guess which party you support. Gordon Brown comes to mind with his famous 'bigot' quote.

Rockyroad Mon 11-Mar-24 12:37:10

Urmstongran

He’s saying what a lot of people believe. He doesn’t focus on hating anyone, he’s just telling these extremist groups they will have fight on their hands, as we will not give up centuries of tradition for a future based on their hate.

So good for him. The time for talking is past, people want to see action and sensible progress towards ridding our country of those who wish it harm.

Well said 👏👏👏👏

Nicenanny3 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:38:27

He's a man after my own heart as well, plain talking, tells it like it is and what many voters especially in the Red Wall Constituencies think. 👍

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 12:40:46

I want my grandchildren to grow up not ashamed of their skin colour or their country’s proud history. I want statues of our national figures kept in place. I don’t want trigger warnings on our classic literature. I don’t want my grandchildren lied to in school by being told that a man can be a woman. I want my granddaughter to be able to have safe spaces and to be able to compete in sport. I want to control who is coming into my country and for my government to leave whatever organisation that they need to in order to achieve that.

As for other religions, go pray in peace in your places of worship and follow your religion’s customs but don’t try and force me to adhere to your religion’s rules. Do not threaten those who have a different view of the world to you. Learn English and embrace our values and we will all get along. If you don’t then I want you to leave, it is as simple as that.

I want low taxes and a small state and I want the ideological nonsense that has infected the civil service removed. I have decided that Reform will do that.

Vote Reform UK.

Casdon Mon 11-Mar-24 12:46:24

I used to work in Ashfield many years ago. It’s an interesting constituency. UKIP did poorly in 2019, they got 5.1% of the vote, and Anderson has only a slim majority. What was interesting was the proportion of people who voted for Independent candidates. It doesn’t look like Lib Dem’s, or Greens have any chance, and the Tory vote will drop, so it’s likely to be a straight fight between Labour and Reform.

2019 position:
Conservative
19,23139.3%-2.4%

Ashfield Independents
13,49827.6%18.3%

Labour
11,97124.4%-18.1%

The Brexit Party
2,5015.1%5.1%

Liberal Democrat
1,1052.3%0.3%

Green Party
6741.4%0.6%

Iam64 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:47:41

Reform will split the Tory vote. Lee Anderson is a nasty piece of work. We need one nation tories, not bigots

Casdon Mon 11-Mar-24 12:53:00

Casdon

I used to work in Ashfield many years ago. It’s an interesting constituency. UKIP did poorly in 2019, they got 5.1% of the vote, and Anderson has only a slim majority. What was interesting was the proportion of people who voted for Independent candidates. It doesn’t look like Lib Dem’s, or Greens have any chance, and the Tory vote will drop, so it’s likely to be a straight fight between Labour and Reform.

2019 position:
Conservative
19,23139.3%-2.4%

Ashfield Independents
13,49827.6%18.3%

Labour
11,97124.4%-18.1%

The Brexit Party
2,5015.1%5.1%

Liberal Democrat
1,1052.3%0.3%

Green Party
6741.4%0.6%

Sorry, the figures were copied from a table, and they merged when I posted.
2019 position:
Conservative
19,231 39.3%. -2.4%

Ashfield Independents
13,498. 27.6%. 18.3%

Labour
11,971. 24.4%. -18.1%

The Brexit Party
2,501. 5.1%. 5.1%

Liberal Democrat
1,105. 2.3%. 0.3%

Green Party
6741. 1.4%. 0.6%

Key- first column is votes cast, second column is % of vote gained, and third column is change from previous election.n

MayBee70 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:55:43

Urmstongran

I want my grandchildren to grow up not ashamed of their skin colour or their country’s proud history. I want statues of our national figures kept in place. I don’t want trigger warnings on our classic literature. I don’t want my grandchildren lied to in school by being told that a man can be a woman. I want my granddaughter to be able to have safe spaces and to be able to compete in sport. I want to control who is coming into my country and for my government to leave whatever organisation that they need to in order to achieve that.

As for other religions, go pray in peace in your places of worship and follow your religion’s customs but don’t try and force me to adhere to your religion’s rules. Do not threaten those who have a different view of the world to you. Learn English and embrace our values and we will all get along. If you don’t then I want you to leave, it is as simple as that.

I want low taxes and a small state and I want the ideological nonsense that has infected the civil service removed. I have decided that Reform will do that.

Vote Reform UK.

When have you been forced to adhere to another religions rules? Can you give me an example please?

Freya5 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:59:47

Siope

Yada, yada yada. Not racist, oh yes in your eyes because most of this country want it run for the people of this country. If this country carries on as Cons or Labour running it,things will get so much worse.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Mar-24 13:00:00

We have to agree to disagree (again) Iam. I don’t think Lee Anderson is a nasty person. Straight talking yes. An ex-miner, proud of his Yorkshire roots and values.

However, like most of us who lent our vote to Boris, we are soft centre right . No nutters please- no careless out right racism talk. Get a full grip on immigration- Yes. Loose talk about hatred- definitely no.

The whole point for us is the seemingly endless increase which causes such stress in our public services and on our welfare budget and not to ever play down the genuine , honest and usually delightful immigrants who actually do enrich us.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 11-Mar-24 13:00:06

I think that this is the perfect place for 30p Lee.
The Reform Party seems very clear on immigration, but rather hazy on other matters, such as the economy, the NHS, education, defence etc. I believe that all of these matters are important and will impact hugely on the life of all of us, perhaps as much as immigration.
Maybe he does say " what a lot of people believe" : that doesn't necessarily make him right. There are groups would deny women safe termination of pregnancy, there are folk who will tell you that the death penalty deters crime. Are these people right ? Or do they simply share a viewpoint?