Gransnet forums

News & politics

Largest ever Tory donor’s appalling remarks.

(118 Posts)
Nandalot Mon 11-Mar-24 15:53:42

Frank Hester, who has paid two lots of £5 million pounds into the Tory coffers has made some really appalling remarks about Diane Abbott. I cannot bear to repeat them but you can read about them here,
www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/11/biggest-tory-donor-looking-diane-abbott-hate-all-black-women
He has made his fortune out of tech including lucrative contracts with the NHS.
I wonder if the Tories will now return his money?

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 11-Mar-24 17:05:13

Good grief Nandalot, that is truly shocking.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 11-Mar-24 18:11:12

This apology for a man was awarded the OBE, which is a reflection on the wonder of our honours system, is it not? The Tories are unlikely to return his £10m, I would think. It seems that he is the sort of person who opens his mouth without putting his brain in gear, but as he's so rich and successful, he can do as he pleases, can't he?

flappergirl Mon 11-Mar-24 20:03:15

He sounds like a typical Tory to me. I would have thought his remarks were hate speech and he should be questioned by the police. Anyone want to place a bet on this happening?

Cossy Mon 11-Mar-24 20:37:20

Well! This handsome creature made me want to 🤮🤮🤮 both when I read his comment and saw his face!

BlueBelle Mon 11-Mar-24 20:42:52

What a hideous axxxhole

Iam64 Mon 11-Mar-24 20:48:08

I’m with flappergirl, sounds like hate speech. Maybe he should join Reform, he’d fit right in

Oldbat1 Mon 11-Mar-24 20:48:53

Speechless and why has he not had a visit from the Police? What a horrible man.

Callistemon21 Mon 11-Mar-24 21:40:02

Well, I don't think I want to read it.

If it's hate speech it should be investigated and he should be charged.

Oreo Mon 11-Mar-24 21:44:59

Depends where he said it and who to.
Don’t be too fast off the mark to involve police in anything said.
It was an ugly remark by an ugly man but not everything needs to be policed.We’re already going a bit to much in that direction for my liking.

flappergirl Mon 11-Mar-24 21:56:29

Oreo

Depends where he said it and who to.
Don’t be too fast off the mark to involve police in anything said.
It was an ugly remark by an ugly man but not everything needs to be policed.We’re already going a bit to much in that direction for my liking.

Sorry Oreo but I really don't agree. He basically said that Diane Abbot should be shot and it would be better if she was dead. That is completely unacceptable and dangerous, especially in this day and age when several MP's have been murdered and others attacked.

To say nothing of the out and out racist comments.

Curtaintwitcher Tue 12-Mar-24 06:47:01

That was a terrible thing to say about anyone...and very juvenile.
No wonder our country is in such a mess with people with this mentality at the helm.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Mar-24 07:14:21

Totally disagree orea hate speech uttered into the public needs dealing with by the authorities even if you take the racism and the woman hate out of it the talk of wanting to shoot someone needs police intervention and now not in a months time The Tory’s need to return his money but they won’t of course they won’t

Vintagewhine Tue 12-Mar-24 08:11:24

What I find most alarming is that anyone feels confident enough of his audience to share such vile views. What does this say about the conservative party and it's supporters?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:22:07

I would like to see his multi-million pound NHS contract revoked and from which he is making merry on tax payers money, including putting a large amount into Tory funds.

Grantanow Tue 12-Mar-24 08:23:30

Where do the Tories get these people from?

AGAA4 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:37:00

Diane Abbot says she feels more unsafe after his vile comments. It could incite someone crazy enough to attack her.

Iam64 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:40:45

Vintagewhine

What I find most alarming is that anyone feels confident enough of his audience to share such vile views. What does this say about the conservative party and it's supporters?

And - it seems the Conservative Party isn’t racist or xenophobic enough to keep 30p Lee Anderson. He and others like him are joining Reform

silverlining48 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:47:51

Diane Abbot who I think was the first black MP has been vilified for years. Truly horrible for her.
Of course the conservatives will keep the money, which can be seen as justifying this abuse .
Shame on him, shame on them.

Doodledog Tue 12-Mar-24 08:51:52

Whether or not you agree with DA’s politics or like her ‘as a person’ (based on the very hostile media representation of her, that is) she really has suffered so much for being a black woman in politics. She is vilified more than anyone else I can think of, and the vast majority of the criticism is not about her politics or policies, but nasty personal jibes which are racist, sexist and abhorrent. Her looks, her relationships, her children - nothing is off limits, and this far from the first time that her colour has been dragged into things. It is sickening, and an indictment on British society and culture that it is allowed to pass almost unnoticed. I would like to see an example made of this, even if only as good PR before an election, but I’ll eat my hat if any money is returned.

Doodledog Tue 12-Mar-24 08:53:04

Cross-post silverlining, not ignoring you grin. Great minds think alike though!

silverlining48 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:57:09

Glad to be in agreement Doodle 👋

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 08:57:25

Well, I’ve read the manifesto and it’s reads like a primary school project!

Get rid of “daft EU regulations” (no mention of which “daft ones”)

Their NHS plan is just utter nonsense, slipped in between casually stating more use of the private sector.

Controlled immigration comprises “1 out, 1 in” Bit like a multi storey car park! I would have respected a points system concentrating on those with skills and professions we are so short of.

Their costings/finance are utterly ludicrous, and there’s lots of pictures and block graphs! Yup, put together as a bunch of 9 year olds school project!

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 09:00:00

OOOPS please ignore my last post, moved to correct thread! Still sleep! Pills I take make me a bit drowsy in the mornings!

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 09:00:43

Doodledog

Whether or not you agree with DA’s politics or like her ‘as a person’ (based on the very hostile media representation of her, that is) she really has suffered so much for being a black woman in politics. She is vilified more than anyone else I can think of, and the vast majority of the criticism is not about her politics or policies, but nasty personal jibes which are racist, sexist and abhorrent. Her looks, her relationships, her children - nothing is off limits, and this far from the first time that her colour has been dragged into things. It is sickening, and an indictment on British society and culture that it is allowed to pass almost unnoticed. I would like to see an example made of this, even if only as good PR before an election, but I’ll eat my hat if any money is returned.

Well said and completely agree!