Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just how much taxpayers money have the Tories wasted

(41 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:28:47

That latest is £500 million on the ridiculous Rwanda scheme.

Everything you look at is money gone down the drain because of the Tories economic uselessness.

HS2

PPE

A report by Best for Britain estimated that they have wasted north of £99.4 billion pounds - just since 2019.

We can no longer afford the Tories - no wonder our country is looking shabbier by the day.

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:34:12

Was it Jeremy Hunt who spent £44,000 on a new loo and whb at the House of Commons? Unbelievably wasteful.

AGAA4 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:43:00

It is very wrong when people are struggling to pay for the basic necessities of life that huge amounts of money have been wasted on unnecessary schemes.

Jackiest Tue 12-Mar-24 08:55:44

Has it really been wasted. I thought it had been given to the poor people and companies that had given large sums of their hard earned money to Tory Party funds.

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 09:03:45

Jackiest

Has it really been wasted. I thought it had been given to the poor people and companies that had given large sums of their hard earned money to Tory Party funds.

Is that some form of humour?

NanaBabs1 Tue 12-Mar-24 09:17:10

It seems fairly obvious to me that it is, indeed, humour!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Mar-24 10:20:22

So what would £100 billion that was simply thrown away get us?

A new average sized hospital would cost approx. £500 million.

£12 billion to fix all the potholes.

£150 million to fix schools.

Or we could fix the sewerage system.

What a difference it would have made if we’d had a government that cared about the country rather than lining their own pockets.

Grantanow Fri 15-Mar-24 10:22:30

Add on the vast sums wasted during COVID on inadequate PPE and unrecovered losses due to fraud, not to mention the so-called Nightingale units which for the most part could not be staffed.

Cossy Fri 15-Mar-24 10:24:03

You’ve also got to add in payments to France to “stop the boats!)

Freya5 Fri 15-Mar-24 10:57:00

Cossy

Yes well France are on to a good thing there. See they're not complaining.

Cossy Fri 15-Mar-24 11:06:42

Freya5 Neither would I complain grin

Cossy Fri 15-Mar-24 11:07:19

Grantanow

Add on the vast sums wasted during COVID on inadequate PPE and unrecovered losses due to fraud, not to mention the so-called Nightingale units which for the most part could not be staffed.

Goodness, I’d forgotten about those units!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Mar-24 11:25:03

I see that they have awarded themselves an above inflation pay rise.

Worth every penny!

JenniferEccles Fri 15-Mar-24 17:20:14

Interestingly the EU, also swamped with illegal migration, is exploring a Rwanda style solution to the problem facing the whole of Europe.

I have said all along that coping with the ever increasing influx of migrants is something every country involved has to deal with.

I don’t know any more than anyone else if the Rwanda plan will work as a deterrent, but at least the Tories are trying to do something.

Be under no illusion, immigration will soar under Starmer, and then heaven helps us.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 15-Mar-24 17:29:15

Freya5

Cossy

Just like Rwanda, they must be laughing their heads off! We are an utter embarrassment now, and I for one am no longer 'proud to be British'.

Oreo Fri 15-Mar-24 17:31:14

Cossy

Jackiest

Is that some form of humour?

Can you really not see that it is?

Oreo Fri 15-Mar-24 17:33:21

MadeInYorkshire

Freya5

Cossy

Just like Rwanda, they must be laughing their heads off! We are an utter embarrassment now, and I for one am no longer 'proud to be British'.

Oh that old ‘ not proud to be British’ thing again.
It’s nothing to do with being British, it’s everything to do with the present government.Which will be changing shortly.

Oreo Fri 15-Mar-24 17:36:05

Cossy

That’s money well spent.France say it’s making a difference as they employ more people and have extra tech.Why shouldn’t we help them, they have a huge coastline to patrol and if it stops people drowning or reaching our shores then it’s fair that we do help out.

petra Fri 15-Mar-24 17:40:03

Eu countries fund a scheme that re- settles asylum seekers in Libya to Rwanda for their own safety.
These are camps in Libya that are supported by the eu, and the conditions are horrendous.

Summerfly Fri 15-Mar-24 18:52:07

Disgraceful.
Our defence funding has been cut to the core, at a time when world peace is so fragile. Great Britain is no longer.

flappergirl Fri 15-Mar-24 20:52:24

"We can no longer afford the Tories" is the best election slogan I've ever seen!

OP, you should patent the rights and sell it to the opposition.

Grantanow Fri 29-Mar-24 08:46:44

And add the millions wasted by the Post Office with Tory approval in defending against the subpostmasters' wholly justified legal action in the High Court.

fancythat Fri 29-Mar-24 09:02:05

Even individuals with the same income and family set up, choose to spend their money in different ways.

I am pretty sure I would spend money differently to you, Whitewavemark2.

paddyann54 Fri 29-Mar-24 09:14:10

Ah but..the ferries!!Thats always the retort when anyone mentions the mess the tories have made...Scotlands government made a mess of "the ferries" instead of having a long hard look ate how much money have been sifted /stolen from the public purse by this shower of incompetants.
Well I and all the folk know are pleased tohave a government who spend our taxes on the People who need it .
I'd make a list but you'd all just ignore it .Because you believe the media rubbish thats fed to you .Yet the SNP have been returned by popular vote time after time after time.
Would that be because we saw through the tories just after WW11 .1955 was the last time they hada majority here..and Labour lost their way and turned into Tory light so dont expect a huge turn back to them when Starmer and co are spouting the same rubbish we've been hearing from Sunak .
Saor Alba ,its the only way forward for us

OldFrill Fri 29-Mar-24 09:23:15

paddyann54

Ah but..the ferries!!Thats always the retort when anyone mentions the mess the tories have made...Scotlands government made a mess of "the ferries" instead of having a long hard look ate how much money have been sifted /stolen from the public purse by this shower of incompetants.
Well I and all the folk know are pleased tohave a government who spend our taxes on the People who need it .
I'd make a list but you'd all just ignore it .Because you believe the media rubbish thats fed to you .Yet the SNP have been returned by popular vote time after time after time.
Would that be because we saw through the tories just after WW11 .1955 was the last time they hada majority here..and Labour lost their way and turned into Tory light so dont expect a huge turn back to them when Starmer and co are spouting the same rubbish we've been hearing from Sunak .
Saor Alba ,its the only way forward for us

The SNP does not even have enough support to form a working government alone, it depends on the inordinate power it gives to the Green party.