Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there anyone who still thinks that Israel's actions in Gaza are justifiable?

(1000 Posts)
foxie48 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:17:05

Much as the title says. I know some GNetters have been fierce supporters of Israel's right to defend themselves by their incursion into Gaza. As the months go by and more information becomes available with regard to the treatment, deaths etc of Palestinians, has this changed anyone's opinion? Today evidence of the treatment of doctors and patients in the Nasser Hospital has been verified. Does this change your opinion?

Katie59 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:22:03

Does anyone think the actions of Hamas is justifiable

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:25:17

Katie59

We are talking about Israel’s actions.

Anniebach Tue 12-Mar-24 18:27:07

Hamas funds the hospitals

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:28:48

I want to know what the massive road the Israelis are building is for. It is cutting Gaza in half.

petra Tue 12-Mar-24 18:29:30

I’ve never wavered in my support for Israel. What Hamas did that night is unforgivable.

Oreo Tue 12-Mar-24 18:32:50

petra

I’ve never wavered in my support for Israel. What Hamas did that night is unforgivable.

Same here.

Delia22 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:38:28

Personally I don't think Israel is safeguarding civilians. Ordinary citizens especially children had nothing to do with the atrocities hamas were guilty of. Although I believe hamas did use civilians as shields and in some cases no doubt the civilian population hid members of hamas who are of course terrorists.But isn,t it the case that the ordinary population always suffer greatly in war. Terrible!!

Anniebach Tue 12-Mar-24 18:41:32

Israel

Granniesunite Tue 12-Mar-24 18:46:08

There’s no difference now between Hamas and the government troops. It’s disgusting and shameful.

Oreo Tue 12-Mar-24 18:52:03

There’s every difference.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:52:17

Starvation - weapon of war.

lixy Tue 12-Mar-24 18:59:04

petra

Same here.

And not just that night - at the risk of going over and over the same old ground they have used donated funds to build weapons and tunnels rather than a decent infrastructure and economy for the Palestinians. The threat to and assault on Israel has been non-stop - hence the need for the iron dome.

Some Israeli soldiers have behaved appallingly, but Israel has the right to react to the October attack. That doesn't change.

Katie59 Tue 12-Mar-24 19:02:00

Whitewavemark2

Katie59

We are talking about Israel’s actions.

If Hamas admitted defeat and withdrew the bloodshed would stop, but no they are quite prepared to continue using Palestinians as human shields.

maddyone Tue 12-Mar-24 19:12:50

If Hamas released the remaining hostages I’m convinced that the carnage would stop. I’m appalled by the fact that Hamas have used their population as shields, with absolutely no care whatsoever towards them, in the same way that they have diverted millions so that they can build tunnels and buy armaments.
The whole business is awful.

foxie48 Tue 12-Mar-24 19:18:38

I also don't believe in going over old ground but I see our own government, the US and there's evidence of more Israeli's challenging the Israeli governments position and I wondered if it changed opinions. Increasingly we have seen verified accounts of the IDF's behaviour towards Palestinians citizens and in particular in today's news towards doctors and sick patients. This clearly concerns our own MPs, Cameron has been questioned in the House of Lords. Does this not make you question what is happening to the Palestinians?
Oreo you say there's every difference between what Hamas did on 7/10 and what the IDF are doing. Would you like to explain that difference because I think the lines have become very blurred.

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 19:20:04

I support the people of Palestine, not Hamas. I support the Israeli people, not their government.

No good can come from the continued fighting.

Hamas should release any hostages still left alive.

Israeli govt should help pay to rebuild Gaza!

None of the above will actually happen and it’s a tragedy.

maddyone Tue 12-Mar-24 19:23:33

Please don’t say that Cossy, although I understand where you’re coming from, but we have to have hope.

Syracute Tue 12-Mar-24 19:27:13

Innocent people should not starve . It’s just that simple .

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 19:31:01

maddyone

Please don’t say that Cossy, although I understand where you’re coming from, but we have to have hope.

🫶 yes you’re right and I pray for peace.

Granniesunite Tue 12-Mar-24 19:31:26

What is the difference Oreo The bloodshed in that small piece of land is a tragedy.

Human beings are being blown off the face of the earth by vengeful hateful fanatics on both sides of this war.

I’m disgusted and saddened by what is happening to my fellowman / woman. It’s heartbreaking and so so wrong. Violence never solves anything. it only breeds vengeance and contempt.

Sago Tue 12-Mar-24 19:31:32

Hamas poked the hornets nest, what did they expect?

foxie48 Tue 12-Mar-24 19:35:23

Cossy I am in total agreement with you. I just cannot (and tbh have never been able to see) how killing Palestinian women, children and men who are not part of Hamas, and razing Gaza to the ground can ever lead to any sort of peace. I am still totally confused as to how anyone can believe that starving people, bombing their homes and treating them with utter contempt can ever give Israel the safety it's citizens want. It just seems like a recipe for even more violence in the future.

AGAA4 Tue 12-Mar-24 19:38:57

The atrocious way the IDF behaved
towards those doctors was shameful. They were stripped beaten and made to stand for hours and have cold water thrown over them.
That is not justifiable. I think the IDF and Hamas are as bad as each other.

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 19:44:50

Granniesunite

What is the difference Oreo The bloodshed in that small piece of land is a tragedy.

Human beings are being blown off the face of the earth by vengeful hateful fanatics on both sides of this war.

I’m disgusted and saddened by what is happening to my fellowman / woman. It’s heartbreaking and so so wrong. Violence never solves anything. it only breeds vengeance and contempt.

Well said and I absolutely agree.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion