Gransnet forums

News & politics

Serial Prime Ministers

(47 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Mar-24 06:55:40

Apparently the next one being lined up is Penny Mordaunt - the permanently cross looking woman sitting on the front bench.

How many is that?

Curtaintwitcher Sat 16-Mar-24 06:57:34

Why bother....the Conservatives will not win the election. It would be better to 'save' her for later, when they make a comeback.

Galaxy Sat 16-Mar-24 06:59:24

Good luck with that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Mar-24 08:11:24

It is because the polls are now unprecedented at

Labour 46%
Tory 18%

If that was translated (it won’t be) at an election. Labour would have something like 500 seats, and Tories 24 seats. The SNP would be the official opposition.

This is bad for the whole country.

But I’m sure changing PMs won’t cut it, it would just make the Tories seem more desperate and useless.

Sarnia Sat 16-Mar-24 08:23:56

Love him or loathe him Boris was far more popular with the country than Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak. I don't think the gap would be so wide if Boris was still PM.

OldFrill Sat 16-Mar-24 08:26:33

I've always thought Liz Truss to be Boris in drag

Sarnia Sat 16-Mar-24 08:32:29

OldFrill

You may be on to something there. I have always thought Trump and Boris may have a family link somewhere. grin

Katie59 Sat 16-Mar-24 09:27:50

Mordaunt will be a contender for future Tory leadership, in my book she is more appealing than some of the other far right candidates. She isn’t particularly moderate, I’m sure when the time comes there will be others in the running not yet considered too.

luluaugust Sat 16-Mar-24 09:38:45

I suppose if we get Penny we shall be able to enjoy some expensive dresses and nice jewellery at Question Time. I am afraid however much cake Boris ate at inappropriate parties he was elected by the people and Rishi wasn't, he also ate cake.
Nothing will happen until after the next election surely!!

Siope Sat 16-Mar-24 09:52:11

Anyone want a bet there’ll be a summer election to (try to) save Sunak’s skin?

I think the SNP would be a brilliant main opposition, I’d like to see them have more time to speak these days.

TinSoldier Sat 16-Mar-24 10:10:53

No. Johnson was not elected by the people. He was elected to be Party leader by fellow Party members and paying members of the Conservative party. In an election, voters vote for a consituency candidate whose views may or may not align with the Party leader and Party policies - which is why we have an archaic whipping system.

The Tories only received 43.6% of the popular vote.

I had to smile at the caption under the Telegraph photograph of Mordaunt that accompanies the article - headline - Right-wing Tory MPs want Mordaunt to oust Sunak.

New polling suggests that Penny Mordaunt is the only Conservative considered more of an asset to the party than a liability.

348 sitting Conservative MPs and the only one considered more of an asset ….?!

MaizieD Sat 16-Mar-24 10:18:56

New polling suggests that Penny Mordaunt is the only Conservative considered more of an asset to the party than a liability.

Has everyone forgotten the utterly batshit crazy speech she made at the last tory conference? Unhinged didn't seem to cover it. And this is thought to be a potential leader?

flappergirl Sat 16-Mar-24 10:22:43

OldFrill

Come to think of it, have you ever seen them in the same place at the same time?

luluaugust Sat 16-Mar-24 11:59:28

Of course you are right TinSoldier but at a meet up of locals recently only 3 knew our MPs name.

Oreo Sat 16-Mar-24 12:06:02

Siope

Anyone want a bet there’ll be a summer election to (try to) save Sunak’s skin?

I think the SNP would be a brilliant main opposition, I’d like to see them have more time to speak these days.

You surely jest?

Oreo Sat 16-Mar-24 12:06:56

MaizieD

^New polling suggests that Penny Mordaunt is the only Conservative considered more of an asset to the party than a liability.^

Has everyone forgotten the utterly batshit crazy speech she made at the last tory conference? Unhinged didn't seem to cover it. And this is thought to be a potential leader?

No? What did she say?

MaizieD Sat 16-Mar-24 12:11:18

Oreo

MaizieD

No? What did she say?

I'll see if I can find a clip

MaizieD Sat 16-Mar-24 12:16:56

MaizieD

Oreo

MaizieD

No? What did she say?

I'll see if I can find a clip

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/penny-mordaunt-demands-people-stand-up-and-fight-12-times-in-bizarre-speech/vi-AA1hI2dZ

Nandalot Sat 16-Mar-24 12:18:54

Transcript here.
www.pennymordaunt.com/speech-to-conservative-party-conference-2023
My goodness, words fail me.

Galaxy Sat 16-Mar-24 12:24:32

I wouldnt worry what she says, she will backtrack on it after a period of time and try to pretend it never happened.

Oreo Sat 16-Mar-24 12:34:21

Oh thanks to both of you, blimey what a speech, lots of standing up to fight, if I’d been there ( unlikely) I would have asked if I could do my fighting sitting down.😁
A rallying cry, wonder how it went down?
It’s too late for fighting talk in any case.

MaizieD Sat 16-Mar-24 15:57:17

Galaxy

I wouldnt worry what she says, she will backtrack on it after a period of time and try to pretend it never happened.

But the internet never forgets...

TinSoldier Sat 16-Mar-24 16:50:09

Her conference speech sickened me. All that Thatcherite jingoism over the Falklands when Thatcher’s own government had considered transferring sovereignty to Argentina due to the sheer cost of maintaining the Islands.

The potential for oil revenue is what made the goverment want to keep control. Declassified files released in 2022 tell the story:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/14/declassified-files-reveal-british-interest-in-falkland-islands-oil

Norman Lamont:

“I have no doubt that in the event of a major oil find, tax revenues should accrue to the UK exchequer. That seems to me only equitable given the very substantial financial as well as other sacrifices that the UK has made … to secure the freedom of the Falkland Islands,” Lamont wrote to the then foreign secretary, Douglas Hurd, on 21 October 1991.

Lamont added: “We would not want to give credence to the accusation that our Falkland Islands operation was motivated by a belief that there was oil to be found in Falklands waters, which would be quite untrue.”

Nevertheless, he and other cabinet ministers, including the prime minister, John Major, and Hurd, agreed that Britain should get the bulk of any oil revenues, approving a 1991 overseas and defence policy cabinet committee paper that stated: “If oil were to be found in commercially recoverable quantities, HMG [Her Majesty’s Government] … should take such measures as are necessary to ensure that HMG can secure access to a substantial share of the concomitant revenues.”

Katie59 Sun 17-Mar-24 07:49:02

Regarding possible Falkland oil, in practice we would have to share any revenue with Argentina, it is impossible to sustain the oil production without substantial landward resources nearby.

Casdon Sun 17-Mar-24 08:06:42

Isn’t there a fly in the ointment with the Penny Mordaunt plan, in that she isn’t in a safe seat, so there’s a significant chance that she won’t survive the next election? If they are going to replace Sunak, surely choosing a potential new leader who will definitely be there after the election would be a better strategy?