Gransnet forums

News & politics

Petition on Why the old state pension is £200 pm less than the new

(100 Posts)
silverlining48 Thu 21-Mar-24 20:06:30

I have just signed a petition by 38 degrees asking for the old state pension of £156 pw to be increased to the new rate of £203 pw. It’s a huge difference. When the new pension began in 2016 I ( wrongly) assumed the old would be increased to the new one.
When the pension rate is mentioned by media it’s the higher amount which is mentioned as the pension rate but many of us who retired before 2016 are in the lower rate.
I worked and paid NI for nearly 50 years and amazed that this isn’t discussed more.
My tech skills aren’t up to linking so will leave it to anyone who wishes, to seek out the petition.

Cossy Thu 21-Mar-24 20:20:25

Isn’t this because of “contracting out”?

Cossy Thu 21-Mar-24 20:21:27

And SERPs ??

Oreo Thu 21-Mar-24 20:39:55

Mum moans about this.I understood, maybe wrongly, that it was to compensate people cos they had to wait, and work, longer than retiring, for women at age 60, wasn’t it increased to 66 which affected people?

Doodledog Thu 21-Mar-24 20:42:52

And that the old pension was claimed at 60 (for women) with a right to a widow’s element where appropriate.

The whole pension system is a mess, but I think there are reasons why the old pension is lower than the new. I’ll happily sign the petition though. We need to stick together on this.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Mar-24 21:41:34

Cossy

Isn’t this because of “contracting out”?

No
And SERPs ??
No

The whole pension system is a mess
Yes, it is.

When I left work to have a family, ten years worth of Local Authority and Local Health Authority pension contributions were returned to me as a 'gratuity'.

It has just been pointed out to me on another thread I lost out on any extra State pension because I would have been contracted out.

No extra State Pension and no public service pension from those 10 years. There must be many other women who have lost out like that.

Casdon Thu 21-Mar-24 21:47:50

Oreo

Mum moans about this.I understood, maybe wrongly, that it was to compensate people cos they had to wait, and work, longer than retiring, for women at age 60, wasn’t it increased to 66 which affected people?

There is some truth in that. I read that if you retire at 66 it takes 10 years to receive as much pension at the new rate as you would have received on the old rate received at 60. I would sign a petition that granted the new rate to all pensioners on the old rate once they reach 76 though, (graduated for the people born in the fifties who are caught in the transition), that would be fair to all.

nightowl Thu 21-Mar-24 21:50:15

The old pension wasn’t only claimed at 60 Doodledog. Because of the gradual raising of the pension age for women, there are many of us who didn’t get the state pension until we were closer to 65 but are stuck on the old pension scheme for the rest of our lives. It means that two women born days apart will have received their pension around the same time but one will be on the significantly lower rate. It has nothing to do with contracting out or SERPS but was just another money saving exercise.

Primrose53 Thu 21-Mar-24 22:30:30

I think it’s fair that people like myself who had to wait longer to get the State Pension are paid more.

I had a friend just 6 months older than me and one 9 months older and another 11 months older and they were all thrilled when they got their pensions at 62. I had to wait until 65 so another 3 years. One of them actually said “oh well they have to draw the line somewhere.” And had no sympathy at all for me. So I’m afraid, no sympathy for them now.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Mar-24 22:33:39

nightowl

The old pension wasn’t only claimed at 60 Doodledog. Because of the gradual raising of the pension age for women, there are many of us who didn’t get the state pension until we were closer to 65 but are stuck on the old pension scheme for the rest of our lives. It means that two women born days apart will have received their pension around the same time but one will be on the significantly lower rate. It has nothing to do with contracting out or SERPS but was just another money saving exercise.

Yes, that is the group of women who were caught between the two schemes and lost out both ways.

nightowl Thu 21-Mar-24 22:58:40

Exactly Callistemon, double whammy sad

V3ra Thu 21-Mar-24 23:11:17

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/compensate-all-women-affected-by-the-dwp-s-state-pension-failures

silverlining48

M0nica Thu 21-Mar-24 23:13:33

what about Pension Credit? People on th eold pension can claim that, I do nto think those on the new pension can.

rafichagran Thu 21-Mar-24 23:13:53

I am on the fence about this, people on the new state pension had to work 6 years longer to get theirs like me. Others through either ill heath or cicumstance were financially ruined by this. The people on the old state pension had a regular income for 6 years longer than the people on the new state pension.

I am undecided whether to sign because of the reasons above.

rafichagran Thu 21-Mar-24 23:16:01

I should add that I feel sorry for the pensioners who waited to 62/63 who not only got ot later but were on the old pension. This does need to be looked at.

V3ra Thu 21-Mar-24 23:16:09

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/new-state-pension-should-apply-to-all

silverlining48

LizzieDrip Fri 22-Mar-24 01:18:30

Yes, I believe the new state pension is slightly more than the old one because those on the new pension had wait until age 66 to get theirs. It will take many years for those on the new pension to ‘make up’ the difference caused by those extra 6 years.

nadateturbe Fri 22-Mar-24 02:38:08

The living expenses are the same no matter what age you retire at. Should be the same.
I thought raising the retirement age was because people were living longer.

nadateturbe Fri 22-Mar-24 02:56:48

Pension credit is means tested. Shouldnt be. Therefore if you live with someone who brings your joint income above the qualifying level, you don't get it. Which is unfair. I paid more contributions than those receiving much more.

nadateturbe Fri 22-Mar-24 02:57:50

V3ra thanks for the link. Signed and shared.

growstuff Fri 22-Mar-24 04:27:17

nadateturbe

Pension credit is means tested. Shouldnt be. Therefore if you live with someone who brings your joint income above the qualifying level, you don't get it. Which is unfair. I paid more contributions than those receiving much more.

There has never been much correlation between the amount people (especially women) pay in NICs and the amount they receive in state pension and pension credit.

The system is a mess. It's an attempt to combine contributions paid and need during pension years.

PuddyCat Fri 22-Mar-24 04:30:14

You can't have it all ways. Those who had to work until they were 66 had to work for longer than you to receive anything at all so how do you think those people should be compensated? You've enjoyed 6 extra years of retirement, pension and all associated benefits and you now want the extra money too? Give me strength! As if the WASPI women haven't been screwed over enough. angry

JaneJudge Fri 22-Mar-24 06:45:26

I thought it had raised to 67 now and the age threshold is going to continue to rise?

karmalady Fri 22-Mar-24 06:56:10

nadateturbe

V3ra thanks for the link. Signed and shared.

me too

karmalady Fri 22-Mar-24 06:58:09

There is a huge discrepancy for a lifetime, could be over 30 years. Someone said that 76 is the age at which we should all receive the same higher state pension, I agree.