Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

grammar question

(293 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 17-Jul-15 11:55:38

about the verb to swim.
Is it correct to say "we've swum in that lake".
Or is it "we've swam " " " ."
I wrote "swum" first, it looked strange, so I changed it to "we've been swimming etc."

feetlebaum Mon 03-Aug-15 06:26:14

Sometimes those Americanisms started out in Britain, travelled to the US and in the meantime disappeared here... and the opposite happens too: many would identify the expression 'a stiff upper lip' as being quintessentially English, and yet its earliest appearance is in an American article.

embo32 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:29:31

Been swimming..

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 14:44:09

I haven't any problem with dialects, and I accept that language has and does change over the course of time, but I do have a problem with sit and sitting. I am also slightly wrong footed at my grandchildren's reply when being asked how they are, and the answer is 'good'!! Perhaps better than'bad'!! I do acknowledge though that I am getting old, so perhaps the grammar, spelling and pronunciation that grates on my ears is to some degree a generation problem!!!

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 14:47:05

Sorry, I meant sat and sitting. I do wish that this thread had an edit process, then mistakes could be corrected. Some forums do and it makes life so much easier, particularly for old ladies!!!!!

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 15:16:21

I agree about dialects, niggly. I hope they last. I think 'I was sat' might be a regional thing ?
The response that one is ' good' is used by DD1' who also asks if she can 'get' in a restaurant. I do hate both those versions but I think working with Americans has rubbed off on her speech somewhat.

MamaCaz Tue 18-Aug-15 17:39:37

As an answer to 'how are you?', I find 'yes' even more annoying than 'good', but it seems to have become the standard reply around these parts.

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 18:24:02

I haven't come across 'yes'! but I can see it could be annoying!!!

thatbags Tue 18-Aug-15 18:32:21

"I was sat" and "i was stood" and similar expressions irritate me but so many people say them and write them that I am becoming inured to their use. I don't have to use them myself. Time to shrug the irritation off. Because what good does it do? None.

Re meaningless answers to how are you (not that 'good' is meaningless), why the fuss? Often there isn't a simple answer one can give. It's just a way of saying hello, an interaction about nothing. It doesn't really matter what people respond with so long as it isn't rude.

Ana Tue 18-Aug-15 18:43:17

And let's face it, no one really wants or expects the question to be taken seriously and be given an in-depth description of your ailments and complaints!

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 18:48:11

But thatbags wouldn't being good mean being well behaved rather than well i.e. In health. Still find it annoying. But waddever

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 18:53:57

Ana, no. But it does sometimes happen unfortunately !

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 21:06:51

I'm not that wild about iconic or awesome, particularly in an American accent!! Sorry that sounds like prejudice.

thatbags Tue 18-Aug-15 21:11:21

Minibags explained it to me, bnonna, thus: Replying "I'm good" or just "Good" to the question "How are you?" is the same as replying "I'm fine" or "Fine". In both cases what it means is I'm feeling fine/good (where good means the same as fine, not virtuous wink).

thatbags Tue 18-Aug-15 21:12:11

I'm not wild about the phrase "I'm not wild about..." but, hey, shrug, what does it matter?

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 21:20:04

Yes my daughter would.agree with minibags', thatbags. Though good is an adj and well an adv, but now I spose I'm just being pedantic. I do often say "I guess" and that's something I wouldn't have said at one time. Yes awesome is becoming common now niggly

Bellanonna Tue 18-Aug-15 21:25:05

I've read that again tb and it does make sense now ! smile

nigglynellie Tue 18-Aug-15 21:43:44

I think it was originally ' awe inspiring' which for me is, well, better!!