Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

grammar question

(293 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 17-Jul-15 11:55:38

about the verb to swim.
Is it correct to say "we've swum in that lake".
Or is it "we've swam " " " ."
I wrote "swum" first, it looked strange, so I changed it to "we've been swimming etc."

Evedmh Sat 18-Jul-15 21:26:31

"Bored of" seems to be quite an English thing. I haven't heard it used here in NZ..........yet! it'll happen though, I'm sure. Bad grammar trends seem to be very infectious.

Jomarie Sat 18-Jul-15 21:49:15

It's the substitution of "of" instead of "with" which really gets my goat. As for pronunciation of a word, I still do what my mother did - look it up in the Pitman's shorthand dictionary - her bible! This gives the vowel placings as well as the firmness or lightness of the vowel - against the consonants and thus tells you how it was pronounced in the Queen's English in days gone by - which is good enough for me. Many changes have taken place I should say. I realise that this is only useful for those of us who pursued a secretarial career back in the day but hey ho - somebody had to do it! grin wine

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Jul-15 21:58:56

My bugbear is the increasing popularity of ashume and conshume. I'm waiting to hear conshumpshun or ashumpshun!

Jomarie Sat 18-Jul-15 22:34:33

Nfk = love it!! grin

Jomarie Sat 18-Jul-15 22:38:19

I know it's not "correct" (politically or otherwise) but I do find it hard to listen to people in the public domain who cannot pronounce their "R's". I manage because it's not their fault etc. but it still grates. On the other hand the episode in Only fools and horses with Raquel singing with (whoever) the Gween gween gwass of home was absolutely hilarious. I'm sure I will be pilloried for this post by all the righteous minded persons on here and I apologise absolutely, but it still makes me smile even thinking about it!!!!grin

Falconbird Sun 19-Jul-15 07:32:56

TriciaF - That's great - a neat way out of this is to say "we've been swimming." smile

I get irritated also by "we were sat" and "we were stood."

Sat and stood implies that someone sat you there or stood you there. confused

Beattie Sun 19-Jul-15 13:28:45

Another cause of raised blood pressure is the way everyone puts themselves first in a conversation! 'Me and ?' It seems almost universal now, when I grew up I was taught to always put the other person before myself. Ah me!!!!!!

MrsBoot Sun 19-Jul-15 18:21:39

As well as 'bored of', another particular bugbear of mine is the use of appraised (estimating value of something / someone) instead of apprised (informing). I've just come across an example of this in a highly rated book I'm reading - presumably the proofreader didn't notice!

mrsmopp Sun 19-Jul-15 19:51:18

Watched an American court case on TV and the accused 'pled' not guilty.
Is this an Americanism? Wouldn't we say he pleaded not guilty?
Pled sounded completely wrong to me.

Ana Sun 19-Jul-15 19:53:57

I think Scottish GNs would disagree with you, mrsmopp!

janerowena Sun 19-Jul-15 21:12:50

I use pled and I'm not even Scottish - is it allowed? grin

shysal Sun 19-Jul-15 21:21:39

I would like guidance on when to use 'different from' and 'different to'. I tend to use from, but it that wrong in some cases?

janerowena Sun 19-Jul-15 21:24:14

From, every time for me, but as far as I am aware there is nothing wrong with 'to', it's just considered a bit clumsy.

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-15 21:27:15

Oh good. I'd always thought it was 'from' but 'to' seems to be everywhere.

Balini Sun 19-Jul-15 21:37:11

I hate, when I hear English people, saying "us house" instead of "our house" or similar, when they are being interviewed on TV.

MamaCaz Sun 19-Jul-15 21:53:51

And I hate it when people say drawring.

mrsmopp Sun 19-Jul-15 22:11:13

Shysal, it is different from and similar to.
Hope that helps.

Ana Sun 19-Jul-15 22:15:29

What about different than? As in, 'it was different than I had imagined it would be'?

Ana Sun 19-Jul-15 22:17:13

Should that be 'it was different to what I had imagined it would be' or 'it was different from what I had imagined it would be'?

MamaCaz Sun 19-Jul-15 22:39:21

Or how about 'it was different from how I had imagined it would be'?

Ana Sun 19-Jul-15 23:05:25

'Different than' certainly has a place somewhere though!

I know it looks a bit dodgy written down, but it's just a part of our language, as are all the other 'wrong' ways of saying things... smile

feetlebaum Sun 19-Jul-15 23:29:00

'Different than' is standard American English. UK English uses 'different from' and (less elegantly) 'different to'.

A pet hatred of mine is the non-reflexive use of such as 'myself' or 'yourself'. An example from a letter I received - "Feel free to call myself for more information". I gently pointed out that only you can call yourself, and only I can call myself... but there was no answer! Of course, what is usually meant is 'me'. but people are suspicious of short simple words!

mrsmopp Sun 19-Jul-15 23:40:39

Myself is over used, as in, Myself and my partner enjoyed the theatre last night. Nearly as bad as Me and my partner enjoyed the theatre last night, which is very commonly used.

Anya Mon 20-Jul-15 04:23:01

'I should of' rather than 'I should have'

thatbags Mon 20-Jul-15 06:44:46

I remember my mother complaining about me using 'different than' when I was a kid. This'd be fifty years ago. I won't have heard Americans using it. I lived in Hull at the time so maybe people there used it.