Gransnet forums

Relationships

Attraction.

(96 Posts)
Caretaker Mon 29-Aug-16 11:53:37

What attracted you to your partner.

Bluecat Wed 31-Aug-16 00:05:48

I met him on a blind date and he was sooo much better than I expected! Good-looking, with big brown eyes, and so incredibly polite. (Though I soon discovered he could swear like a trooper, and he has been described, by one of our SiLs, as "the rudest man I've ever met." On those first dates, he was on his best behaviour....)

I'd always thought of myself as a cynic who didn't believe in love at first sight, until it happened to me. It wasn't just the fact that I thought he was gorgeous (though I did!) but I felt completely at ease with him from the very beginning. That doesn't happen often, as I'm very shy.

I just loved him then and have always loved him, even though he can drive everyone mad, including me. It will be our Ruby Wedding next year, all being well, so I guess that original spark is still there for both of us.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 31-Aug-16 08:07:40

The song 'he came into my life and now he's taken over and its beautiful' happened forty years ago.The man who took over my life passed away eight years ago.There is never a day goes by that I feel I was so fortunate this man came into my life.

Izabella Wed 31-Aug-16 08:37:10

Didn't drink!!!!

Blinko Wed 31-Aug-16 09:00:06

We met at a friend's house and were comfortable with each other from the start, as though we had known each other for years. He came along at the right time, just when I was looking to set up home independently. He was the antithesis of my father (who was rather controlling). He asked me to marry him after a fortnight. I thought we could rub along for, say, ten years. That was 50 years ago. We've been married coming up to 48 of them. He sometimes drives me mad. but hey ho, I guess we'll stick it out now smile

Thingmajig Wed 31-Aug-16 09:48:42

Must have been his turn of phrase! We met on the internet (mutual pen-friend) and wrote to each other for about 6 months before meeting up.

Actually decided he could be the one after he drove us back from a dinner in Fort William to Oban (about an hour) whilst in dire straits. The sight of him post urgent toilet visit, warming his bum at the fire was the deciding factor for me. grin

Ah, the romance!!!!!

Mollydolly Wed 31-Aug-16 10:31:39

When I was travelling every day into Nottingham to college he and his mates were on my bus and made my life a misery teasing and tormenting. He offered me a box of matches when I went to light my cigarette and there was a plastic spider in there! I screamed so loud the driver wanted to put me off the bus. He held my ice lolly while I took my coat off and ate it whole. I told the man at the bus station paper shop I hated him and he said bet you marry him. I told him if he was the last man on earth I wouldn't. Six months later whent back to paper shop to show him my engagement ring! Married at 18 and soon to celebrate our Golden anniversary. Still get tingles down my spine when I look at him love him to bits

nannynormal Wed 31-Aug-16 10:38:36

lovely brown eyes and black hair. always have a penchant for brown eyes

Lynnabelle Wed 31-Aug-16 17:56:44

Whilst in a club with parents at 16, he told my mother he would marry me one day. She said over her dead body. Met him a few years later at a night club and he would stand at the bar next to ladies loo and catch me there to buy me a drink. I went to work in London and one weekend came home and decided to go out with him as had nothing better to do. Two months later we were engaged. Been married 41 years now .

Falconbird Wed 31-Aug-16 19:22:44

I was 18 he was nearly 21. Our eyes met across a room and I knew he was the one for me.

When we talked about it later he said that when our eyes met an electric shock went through his body.

We were together for nearly 50 years but sadly he died 4 years ago. I will always miss him.

Wobblybits Wed 31-Aug-16 20:22:28

"I was 18 he was nearly 21.
Our eyes met across a room
and I knew he was the one"

You could put those words to music.

Falconbird Wed 31-Aug-16 21:00:52

Thanks Wobblybits smile

Alima Wed 31-Aug-16 21:14:52

Neversaydie, lovely "dark brown voice", that is the expression my Mum used to use to describe what first attracted her to my Dad. I have not heard anyone else say that until reading your post. Thank you, you have brought them to the forefront of my mind tonight.

Emptynester Wed 31-Aug-16 22:51:39

For the first time in my life, in my serious job, I was told off because he kept making me laugh all the time - and he still does, after being married for 42 years! I am very very lucky and constantly count my blessings.

Im68Now Thu 01-Sep-16 09:11:21

4 holidays a year
New car every 2 years
I really love him now, but this was the attraction.

pollyperkins Thu 01-Sep-16 10:19:52

Certainly not love at first sight! We met at university with a group of friends and I hardly noticed him at first. We gradually got friendly and I gradually began to notice him and appreciate his good points- steady, kind, good dresser and lovely brown eyes. But I really had no idea what I was doing when we got married. However I was lucky as he is a real gem and we are still together after nearly 50 happy years.

Granny1sland Thu 01-Sep-16 10:40:25

He was a farmer

moxeyns Thu 01-Sep-16 10:53:54

I've just recently met a new man, after deciding that I'm over my divorce. The first time I saw him, my heart did that turn-in-your-chest thing, and I adored him immediately. The last person I felt that for was my ex-husband, when I was 18. If this relationship lasts 33 years it'll see me out, and I shall feel most blessed!

J52 Thu 01-Sep-16 10:55:38

He was a friend of my brothers, blonde curls, big ice blue eyes, he looked like an Angel!

42 years later, a little less hair, same eyes and still gets away with the innocent look! ??

yattypung Tue 06-Sep-16 09:14:09

He had 20 pounds in the bank...that was 54 years ago and we are still going strong!

Legs55 Fri 09-Sep-16 17:46:45

After 2 Divorces I met mine on a "blind date", I was staying with my friend & her new husband in Middlesex & she arranged a "babysitter" for my DD (8 years old) whilst we went out & met husband's work colleague (recent divorce after 24 years of marriage) - instant attraction, don't know why confused

3 months later my DD & I moved from Lancashire to Middlesex & moved in with him, his daughter & son, temporary of course - never left & married 2 years later, 23 happy years until his death from cancer 3 years ago. After the funeral my DD said "he was the love of your life", he was & I still miss him sad
It would have been our Silver Wedding in August just gone sad

Happy on my own but if I should meet some-one who knows wink