Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A Gransnet design brief for M & S

(174 Posts)
Teetime Mon 08-Feb-16 09:13:14

We often talk on here about M & S and it seems many of us are less than satisfied with the their offering. It occurred to me that we could put together a design brief for them to consider. For my part I would like the following to be available;

- Calf length skirts for summer (Per Una used to have nice ones)
- Well made T shirts to go with the above (no jewellery/sequins attached that won't iron)
- Wide leg Linen trousers- good quality current ones have been too floppy
- Linen dresses - A line please and mid calf
- Pretty white bras and matching knickers
- soft summer knits for wearing with jeans and trousers on cool days
- comfy but attractive sandals.

- and for me no neon colours or animal prints.

What would you ask for?

Falconbird Mon 08-Feb-16 09:23:57

I used to love M & S but now can rarely see anything I like and if I do they don't have it in my size. The shorter lengths always seem to go first.

I agree with comfy sandals and metal free tee shirts but tee shirts in gentler colours and with some shape to them or a pleasant pattern on the front. Also nice tee shirts that aren't too long or too low at the neckline.

Lightweight cotton cardigans would be good in plain colours.

I did buy a skirt at M & S for my son's wedding some years ago and it was quite nice but an odd sort of length for me not short and not calf length.

Grannyknot Mon 08-Feb-16 09:24:42

teetime I agree re the calf length skirts but as long as they are not "country cousin" panelled ones that flare at the hem grin

I love straight pull-on stretchy mid-length skirts, I have two this year one from Matalan and the other from H&M, I wear them with long tops or jumpers, tights and boots. They're so comfy and snug.

NanaandGrampy Mon 08-Feb-16 09:39:28

I'd ask for t shirts in the bigger sizes to be a bit longer.

I know I'm short and fat but if you cut the t shirts off abruptly at the waist I just look shorter and fatter smile

So hip length in non neon colours and both with and without motif.

Worlass Mon 08-Feb-16 09:45:45

Agree with comments above, particularly about length. Most dresses and skirts seem to end just above my knobbly, fat knees. Please can we have sleeves in more summer items. I don't do sleeveless any more.smile

kittylester Mon 08-Feb-16 09:52:58

I really miss the array of basic cotton tee-shirt in lots of ( non garish) colours with a variety of sleeve lengths and necklines and in longer lengths. I always bought one or two as I passed through to the food Hall.

I agree about better quality linen trousers and nice cotton jumpers for summer.

I would welcome some better quality jeans, black and boot cut please, rather than the cheap ones!

And stop trying to appeal to young people - it's never going to work!

Now all we need Teatime is for them to read the thread!

kittylester Mon 08-Feb-16 09:53:46

I typed Teetime , smart arse phone!!

J52 Mon 08-Feb-16 09:59:00

I agree about the embellishments on T shirts and it would help if they were longer with longer short sleeves, not just cap sleeves. I like T shirts with sleeves to the elbow and a choice of necklines.

M&S used to make skirts and dresses with a choice of lengths in each design. Is this no longer the case?

I have not bought anything there for a while. I also found the quality of linen trousers poor, recently.

x

J52 Mon 08-Feb-16 10:00:31

kitty we were having the same thoughts at the same time! Another spooky birthdate thing?

X

J52 Mon 08-Feb-16 10:03:01

On the plus side, i forgot that I did buy two pairs of boots, ankle and knee length, there before Christmas. I'd been searching for the right styles for ages.

X

Indinana Mon 08-Feb-16 10:12:58

I agree with so much of the above, especially concerning T-shirt length. I don't wear skirts, so have no axe to grind there.
Jumpers, though - can we please have them just slightly longer. I don't want 'longline' ones, covering my bottom, as that just accentuates my size, but I would like them to reach below my hip bone, so that when I reach up or move around they don't part company with my (waist high) trousers.
Also, I wish they still sold the lovely stretch cotton trousers that I bought for several years.
And yes, as mentioned, STOP trying to appeal to the youngsters - they would die rather than admit to shopping in M&S. Their target audience should be age 40 and over (maybe even 40 is too young these days...)

Charleygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 10:17:18

The trousers have been made abroad for years and the quality is no longer there + they are getting thinner so I am now having to wear leggings as well to stay warm.

They used to sell 100% woollen cardigans in a variety of non garish colours that did not stop just below my bust.

Nightdresses without bear or fairy motifs on the front. I am marginally beyond that age physically if not mentally.

There are very few plain white bras- certainly not in my size.

Falconbird Mon 08-Feb-16 10:17:54

I think M & S are trying to please all of the people all of the time and it doesn't work.

M & S should decide where their most profitable market is and concentrate on that. I have a feeling it's with the over 50s although years ago when I was in my 20s 30s and 40s both mum and me found lovely things to wear in Marks and Sparks, used to go there together and always came out pleased with our purchases. confused

Synonymous Mon 08-Feb-16 10:47:48

Agree with pretty much all of the above and think that mainly it is quality which has gone.
M&S have dropped the ball and lost their focus so can no longer see their target market. sad

moobox Mon 08-Feb-16 10:56:31

Straightforward polo collar t shirts in ordinary colours, and stop sending me extremely random Sparks discounts that only last 5 days or so, and then have to be "renewed" by me going online. I end up spending time looking at offers that have very little relevance to me.

Shestheone Mon 08-Feb-16 10:56:51

M&S are absolutely falling between two stools - too old for the youngsters and too young for the.......more mature.

I want to dress for the smart, elegant woman I am in my head, whilst being able to cover the bits that make me look like I'm made of wax and have stood too long next to the fire ?

kittylester - there's got to be a way of catching the attention of M&S, maybe someone at GNHQ could publicise? After all, companies pay good money for market research, focus group feedback etc......

LullyDully Mon 08-Feb-16 10:56:58

I agree with all the above. I need longer Macs and coats. 3/4 length are more flattering as I am quite tall.

Nothing to suit the Twiggys of this world as they are well catered for IMO.

I do find it easy to shop at M and S but would like them to be sure who their market are.

Eloethan Mon 08-Feb-16 10:57:27

I think the Per Una jeans and trousers are not as good as they used to be. I like the waist fitting and the choice of lengths and widths of leg but the material tends to be thinner and stretchier now. I find that, because of the stretchiness, after a few wears they don't fit as snugly at the waist - and they seem more prone to shrinkage.

I'm fed up with all the strident colours and patterns in a lot of the clothing lines for women - not just at M&S but everywhere. I wish there was a greater choice of more muted, subdued colours and, as others have said, longer length skirts and dresses (though I usually wear trousers).

janepearce6 Mon 08-Feb-16 10:59:44

I agree with everything I've read - there is absolutely nothing in M&S I want to buy - they are so off now I can't see how they can come back which is a great shame.

Chrishappy Mon 08-Feb-16 11:07:47

More short sleeves in summer dresses
Better cut of tops and dresses taking in to account middle age onwards ladies often have a spare tyre, bigger bottom and thicker thighs!!!!! And I agree about some of the awful patterns on t shirts. we want clothes that disguse and flatter, but not those awful bodycon dressed, keep comfot in mind please!!!!!

SpeedyEdi Mon 08-Feb-16 11:11:04

I agree with the comments.

Quality, Quality, Quality is what we want!
The trousers now get balled in no time and even before the first wash.
The jumpers are a disaster, I have some pure wool ones from 15 years ago and yet the ones bought recently are fit for the bin.

I agree they need to appeal to the 40- 50 and upwards age group. The young ones won't shop there anymore and when we all stop..........

M&S LISTEN before it is too late!!!!

PS stop employing these so called 'celebrities' to model the new ranges. That does not make us buy the clothes.

NonnaAnnie Mon 08-Feb-16 11:13:48

LullyDully, may I ask where the Twiggys are catered for, I've found no where with suitable clobber for me, (size 10/12) especially in M&S, maybe I'm just fussy? Sleeve length is a particular problem.

Teacher11 Mon 08-Feb-16 11:20:25

M & S is currently dire. Not a thing in the shop I would be seen dead in. My rule for clothes is simple: - you have to look good in them. This means they have to be well cut with a good outline and shape to flatter figures. They should fit well and wash and iron well. They should also be in flattering colours. These qualifications probably mean that clothes should align more with classics than fashion. For older women it probably means longer lines and darker colours and the fabric thicker rather than thin and floaty.

I think many problems in M & S stem from their vanity sizing and the fact that they never stock enough of each size. I am an M & S 6 and am pretty short. Nothing fits me. I buy their girls' seam free age 9-11 pants. That pretty well says it all.

rosie1959 Mon 08-Feb-16 11:20:56

I would ask for the return of scoop neck T shirts with short sleeves in bright summer colours

Also summer skirts in a shorter length just above the knee I find calf length when you are only 5' 3'' make me look shorter and frumpy

Shrimp Mon 08-Feb-16 11:21:59

The only trousers that used to fit me were Per Una, but a few years ago they changed the cut so that now they are really baggy around the top of the thighs. I was SO annoyed with them. Don't know what I'm going to do when all my trousers wear out!
I agree about sleeves on summer dresses, but would actually like shorter teeshirts and jumpers as I am so short myself.
I must admit I often go into M&S and then come out again feeling frustrated as there is nothing there that quite fits the bill for me. I've had more luck in Dorothy Perkins recently!